OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 09:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nexy Karis review
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2017, 06:28 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Japsican wrote:
Just making sure we're on the same page here, because I'm getting all of the threads mixed up..

I'm comparing to Regalis Blue (not red).

One thing I noted, was how well I felt the blade. The feedback was like a 1.5mm or 1.8mm rubber, with with the thickness of Max. I loved having the feeling, but not having the bottoming out.
Similar thoughts with Regalis Blue, but less so. Also, Karis seems harder, but I have to put them on the same blade to be sure.

I have a sheet of M+ in max (the harder variant) and M in 2.0. Regalis red is the softer regalis, blue the harder. I have never used blue. My feeling is that Karis plays a lot flatter than regalis, and the catapult is lesser. This would explain why nextlevel enjoys it for counterlooping so much. Karis is clearly more linear....the M+ in some ways reminds me of gambler outlaw.... Although the quality is far better.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

185g

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2017, 06:29 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Sorry, to be clear I am comparing Karis M to regalis red.

185g

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2017, 07:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Japsican wrote:
Hard to say. The Karis is Red and the Regalis is black.

I will say this, they are tactilely different, in that when I breath on them and clean them with my hands the Regalis has more texture. It's rougher, and doesn't clean as easily as the Karis, which feels smoother.
The red sheet is semi-translucent as I can see pip dots through the topsheet.

One thing, the Karis had a strange line down the middle with a different hue...from something beneath the topsheet. At first, I thought it was a crease, but after really inspecting it's perfeclty flat, the line is underneath for sure.

I hit with it vs. the robot and instantly fell in love, but we all know that hitting vs. a robot is different than vs. a human. I will play with it tonight vs. my practice partner. I didnt' put it on my double inverted paddle first because I wanted to try it on the larger defensive paddle before cutting it down to the size of a standard blade face. Can't really go the other way around.

I have that same line on both of my blades that have Karis M. Have no idea what it is.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2017, 07:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

so_devo wrote:
I have some more testing to do with a different blade, but am a little underwhelmed with the Karis so far. I would say the Regalis Red is far more dynamic than Karis M.

I want to test it on a Timo Boll ALC next. On the all wood xiom offensive S it is very ordinary for my playing style. I wonder if it will be good for controlling composite offensive blades.

Watch this space........

I think Karis M would be really anemic on an all-wood blade. I think it needs a pretty fast composite blade unless your are a defender. I use it on a Viscaria. It would be quite controllable even on a blade faster than that I think.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2017, 10:09 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I meant - are the Karis M and M+ topsheets visibly different? I haven't photographed either, but some cutoffs are coming (forget which ones). I could use Regalis cutoffs, though.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2017, 18:13 
Super User

Blade: AfroBro Custom
FH: Rasanter R53
BH: Vega X
iskandar taib wrote:
I meant - are the Karis M and M+ topsheets visibly different? I haven't photographed either, but some cutoffs are coming (forget which ones). I could use Regalis cutoffs, though.

Iskandar

Still not arrived yet? You have red M and black M+ coming to you. The topsheets are identical AFAICS.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2017, 19:37 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Yeah, they still haven't arrived. I've had packages disappear, but hopefully this one's just delayed. As soon as I get it I'll photograph them.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2017, 19:43 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

OK, here you go. Compare with the KTL Pro XT.

To me it looks like Pro XT is thinner with shorter pips. Might be interesting to compare with other "thin sheet" rubbers such as Bryce Speed, Rasanter, Regalis and Mantra. If anyone has cutoffs to contribute let me know.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2017, 03:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Interesting. Where does one buy this KTL rubber?

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2017, 03:35 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate II
FH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
Baal wrote:
Interesting. Where does one buy this KTL rubber?

http://www.zeropong.com/pips-in-rubber-mod-c-42_86/ktl-green-dragon-pro-xt-p-326

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2017, 12:33 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

These three rubbers share the same topsheet:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Sh ... 34773.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KTL-Pro ... 00697.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KTL-Pro ... 50655.html

"Plain-old", and "Silver Dragon" are available in 2.0 and 2.2mm sponge (unusual for Chinese rubber) and Green Dragon is available in 1.5, 1.8. 2.0 and 2.2mm sponge (VERY unusual for Chinese rubber). I've bought "Plain Old" and "Green Dragon", they're both very lightweight - 53.2 and 47.8g uncut. Can't remember hitting much with Plain Old but Green Dragon struck me as being slowish, a control rubber, has a big-pore sponge:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=25211&start=240#p297175

I suspect (but haven't confirmed) that the corresponding Pro XP rubbers (non-tacky) have the same or similar topsheets:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KTL-Pro ... 13213.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Sh ... 97208.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Sh ... 35847.html

As with their tacky cousins, available in 2.0 and 2.2mm, plus 1.5 and 1.8mm in the case of the Red Dragon.

Funny how this "thin topsheet" thing works out, here we have relatively slow rubbers, and then you have Bryce Speed, which is supposed to be ultra-fast.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2017, 17:58 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Compare Karis to other rubbers.

In case you're wondering where the incredible photographs are coming from (as opposed to my not-so-good scans) - there's a Russian (or could be another Slavic language..) forum. If you're into rubber photos, there are between 100 and 200 here..

http://tt-maximum.com/forum/index.php/topic,4916.0.html

In any case - I don't think Karis has the shortest pips in the room - that honor goes to 729-40S. H3 also has a pretty thin topsheet cap (the pips are longer).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2017, 18:30 
Super User

Blade: AfroBro Custom
FH: Rasanter R53
BH: Vega X
Wow - does 729-40S even HAVE pips? Just looks like a lumpy topsheet! Amazingly small.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2017, 18:52 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Not to mention it's relatively cheap:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-sh ... 93118.html

Maybe I'll get a sheet - since it claims to be a "backhand rubber" I'll get it in red.. Sounds like a blocker's rubber.

Also available for considerably more with German sponge:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RITC-72 ... 72293.html

"“729-40S” is one of the new type cover rubber manufactured in 2002, for the Chinese National Table Tennis Team. German sponge, which is the best one in the world, is also used in its production. So is the most characteristic cover rubber of 729, which improves the speed, elasticity, friction quotiety, circulation and attack of the ball." (Really??)

and Japanese sponge:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-sh ... 52928.html

"Brand new rubber specially designed for players of national team. The combination of frosted rubber, high-elasticity rubber, exquisite soft Japanese sponge and SENSOR technology brings a super handle for players. The energy-saving jointing technology makes the rubber integrate with sponge particles so as to make the inner energy burst out in an instant. It has characteristics of permanent viscosity and good ball controlling, which for the backhand players."

More technology that rhymes with Tensor.. :lol:

By the way - in my previous post, to get a closer look, click on the photos. They expand considerably.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2017, 19:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Ah... which was the new thin topsheet Butterfly rubber? Was it Bryce Speed or just Bryce Highspeed??

The Bryce Speed sponge looks old-fashioned, so I think this is an older rubber. Besides, it doesn't have the "target" cover.

Compare to Karis M again:

Looks like Bryce Highspeed has the thinner top layer but longer pips, while Karis M has the thinner total topsheet thickness. Very different from Pro XT despite all three having "thin topsheets".

So far, no Regalis or Mantra on the Russian website. Or Rasanters. Will check back there often, it'll save me some work if they get around to it. I suspect these photos come out of China (and I'll bet that Chinese text on the photos is someone's watermark.. or says "Don't Post Elsewhere".. :lol: ).

Iskandar

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next