OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 17:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nexy Karis review
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2017, 19:30 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
AndySmith wrote:
so_devo wrote:
I have to say that I have been very stable in using the same setup for quite a while now, but Karis M in 2mm is looking very appealing for a summer experiment! Hmmm....

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Well, the offer of trying my sheets out is open to any reasonably solid and well-known forum member of sound mind and body...

Not sure I meet any of those criteria, but it's very kind!

Do you have max or 2mm ?

185g

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2017, 19:46 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
Also not sure if I meet the criteria either, but I live in England (and used to live in Staffordshire :) ), and would be very interested to try the rubber.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2017, 20:20 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

That mention of "air capsules" in the Tenergy sponge kinda reminded me of something, and I've suddenly remembered what it was:

http://stigatabletennis.com/en/products/airoc-s/

Quote:
- Creating a rubber sheet to provide this dynamic range of play is made possible thanks to STIGA’s new OCS sponge technology (Oxygen Capsule System).
- We have formulated the air pockets within the sponge to with stand the strongest attacks while providing enough spring to go offensive on demand.

And isn't Airoc also a Daiki product???? :lol: Sounds like they're just following in the footsteps of Tenergy, oxygen or no oxygen.. :lol: I suppose air is 20% oxygen.. though I wonder if nitrogen would be better in terms of longevity (no oxidation from the inside of the sponge - not that anyone's ever said that that was a problem.. :lol: )..

The Stiga web site front page is dominated by another rubber mentioned here - Mantra. If nothing else, the cover designs are great (even if they do look Tenergy-like).

Wonder if the "Sanskrit" writing means/says something (I just realized the little bit in front actually says "Mantra" in English.. :lol: ). Hopefully it doesn't say something unintentionally embarrassing.. :lol: Note it also has "oxygen capsules".

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2017, 21:34 
Super User

Blade: AfroBro Custom
FH: Rasanter R53
BH: Vega X
so_devo wrote:
AndySmith wrote:
so_devo wrote:
I have to say that I have been very stable in using the same setup for quite a while now, but Karis M in 2mm is looking very appealing for a summer experiment! Hmmm....

Well, the offer of trying my sheets out is open to any reasonably solid and well-known forum member of sound mind and body...

Not sure I meet any of those criteria, but it's very kind!

Do you have max or 2mm ?

Yeah, the criteria are ever-changing and unfathomable.

I have:

Karis M - Red - 2.0
Karis M+ - Black - 2.2
Karis M - Red - 2.2
Karis M - Black - 2.2

The first two are the testing rubbers I got from Nexy as part of the forum review thing, the next two are rubbers I purchased myself but probably won't be using again. I'm happy to send all of them out but would need them back afterwards (although I'm likely to sell the two I bought myself, so I'm open to offers if anyone falls in love). The testing ones can just keep doing the rounds until they fall apart.

I just ask that people write some words about the rubber on the forum once they're done, and don't trade with their local dealer for crack/meth/big mac sauce.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2017, 22:27 
Blockhead
Blockhead

AndySmith wrote:

Yeah, the criteria are ever-changing and unfathomable.

I have:

Karis M - Red - 2.0
Karis M+ - Black - 2.2
Karis M - Red - 2.2
Karis M - Black - 2.2

The first two are the testing rubbers I got from Nexy as part of the forum review thing, the next two are rubbers I purchased myself but probably won't be using again. I'm happy to send all of them out but would need them back afterwards (although I'm likely to sell the two I bought myself, so I'm open to offers if anyone falls in love). The testing ones can just keep doing the rounds until they fall apart.

I just ask that people write some words about the rubber on the forum once they're done, and don't trade with their local dealer for crack/meth/big mac sauce.

In which case I would be very keen to be the next custodian of the testing pair! I'll send a PM. I was hoping that the red wasn't max, as I like a slightly thinner backhand rubber (currently Rakza 7 soft 1.8 ). The M+ will be an interesting comparison with MXP max.

I also promise to add a few words and to abstain from Big Mac sauce... I had a bad experience with it at 14 (true)

I'll send a PM with address etc and can paypal the postage cost.

185g

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017, 00:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Since the testing was organized at MyTT, when you write your impressions, could you also add them to the ongoing thread there?

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_po ... N=9#972423

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017, 00:10 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Baal wrote:
Since the testing was organized at MyTT, when you write your impressions, could you also add them to the ongoing thread there?

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_po ... N=9#972423

Absolutely, will add them there and here.

185g

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017, 07:11 
Super User

I am not sure that my last PM (with my address) to AndySmith went through. It seems stuck in my outbox. Or does it not move to "Sent" until it is received?

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017, 08:43 
Blockhead
Blockhead

darucla wrote:
I am not sure that my last PM (with my address) to AndySmith went through. It seems stuck in my outbox. Or does it not move to "Sent" until it is received?

It moves to sent when it is read, stays in outbox when unread

185g

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017, 23:03 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
al_111 wrote:
Very interesting impressions posted, thanks to all testers. One might wonder whether this sensation of increased control is mainly due to the instant comparison between a fast tensor and a linear rubber in the beginning of using Karis (just the opposite to what Baal and Der_Echte describe when switching back).

The thing I personally noticed is that switching to the slower setup is indeed in most cases giving me the sensation of increased control for the first few hours/days - more shots landing, increased confidence, still enough power when needed, in other words, almost everything described in this thread. But a few days/weeks pass, and, although the comfort stays, my play level is still the same, probably with the technique becoming more slappy with the more forgiving setup ;)

Inversely, I can usually rather quickly adapt to a faster setup within a couple weeks, with the return speed as the only limiting factor.

Any ideas how to differentiate the memorized sensation of increased control vs actual constant increase? If some of the testers played competitively and were willing to share the dynamics of their rating, or the results vs higher rating players (to whom they were losing before) acquired at least after 1-2 months of using Karis, it could probably shed some light.

Personally, I am really interested.

I think in general, I actually play better with slower setups so I might be the wrong person to ask - the problem with slower setups for me has always been a fear of tearing up my arthritic body trying to get spin. But what happened was that after I switched from Yasaka Extra with T80 to Yasaka Extra with KAris M/M+, my level didn't drop, but I noticed that with the increased control of the rubber, it made sense to switch to a faster blade. Not much faster, but faster.

So while testing a variety of faster blades with this rubber:

I beat a guy who I hadn't beaten in over a year. Then I beat a kid I hadn't beaten in tournament play in at least 3 years. And I train less than I used to because of injury, though I do coach a little more because I have one student who just likes to invest in coaching. In my head, I have no doubt that if I could invest the time and effort into playing that I did even 5 months ago now with this rubber, it would be a game changer. I am looping and countering topspin better than I ever have before.

The thing is this - it is not necessarily slowness - Karis is not a slow rubber - it is still closer to a tensor IMO than it is to Mark V. IT is the ability to understand what the ball does when I hit it. I block for lots of players now and it is amazing how used they were to their spin drawing errors from me and how often they are surprised that in cases where my footwork is not challenged, my consistency aggravates them.

If you are used to winning points of spinning the ball at your opponent with the rubber's extra spin effect, Karis is not the easiest rubber to do that with unless you have good arm acceleration. But if you do it with your own arm acceleration, there is enough there. But the flip side is all those people who are used to scoring free points off you when they loop the ball hard at you and expect your stroke to just miss the ball outright. With Karis, you have a good understanding of what it takes to put the ball back on the table. In fact, one of my opponents basically retired his signature deep heavy spin play against me and just focused on looping the ball past me or on heavy spin short with high arc into my middle because he realized my block/counter was now too good to be missing shots where I had time to set up.

Right now, I enjoy playing more than I did before I switched - the reason is that I understand my rubber much better. I ordered a couple of sheets of TSP Regalis Blue to test and there are things about the new Rasanter that make it seem that it might be in the same tradition as these rubbers though I am not in the mood to spend any money on that quite yet given the price. That said, if any of my students complaints about Tenergy or isn't improving, I have moved them to this because I think it makes understanding ball control much easier than the higher level rubbers.

I really can't play with Tensors or Tenergy without a prolonged (probably a month) adjustment period anymore, I really can't.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017, 01:50 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Test rubbers received today from AndySmith. Will post my thoughts here and on the mytt thread once I've had a couple of sessions.

185g

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017, 07:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
al_111 wrote:
Very interesting impressions posted, thanks to all testers. One might wonder whether this sensation of increased control is mainly due to the instant comparison between a fast tensor and a linear rubber in the beginning of using Karis (just the opposite to what Baal and Der_Echte describe when switching back).

The thing I personally noticed is that switching to the slower setup is indeed in most cases giving me the sensation of increased control for the first few hours/days - more shots landing, increased confidence, still enough power when needed, in other words, almost everything described in this thread. But a few days/weeks pass, and, although the comfort stays, my play level is still the same, probably with the technique becoming more slappy with the more forgiving setup ;)

Inversely, I can usually rather quickly adapt to a faster setup within a couple weeks, with the return speed as the only limiting factor.

Any ideas how to differentiate the memorized sensation of increased control vs actual constant increase? If some of the testers played competitively and were willing to share the dynamics of their rating, or the results vs higher rating players (to whom they were losing before) acquired at least after 1-2 months of using Karis, it could probably shed some light.

Personally, I am really interested.

I think in general, I actually play better with slower setups so I might be the wrong person to ask - the problem with slower setups for me has always been a fear of tearing up my arthritic body trying to get spin. But what happened was that after I switched from Yasaka Extra with T80 to Yasaka Extra with KAris M/M+, my level didn't drop, but I noticed that with the increased control of the rubber, it made sense to switch to a faster blade. Not much faster, but faster.

So while testing a variety of faster blades with this rubber:

I beat a guy who I hadn't beaten in over a year. Then I beat a kid I hadn't beaten in tournament play in at least 3 years. And I train less than I used to because of injury, though I do coach a little more because I have one student who just likes to invest in coaching. In my head, I have no doubt that if I could invest the time and effort into playing that I did even 5 months ago now with this rubber, it would be a game changer. I am looping and countering topspin better than I ever have before.

The thing is this - it is not necessarily slowness - Karis is not a slow rubber - it is still closer to a tensor IMO than it is to Mark V. IT is the ability to understand what the ball does when I hit it. I block for lots of players now and it is amazing how used they were to their spin drawing errors from me and how often they are surprised that in cases where my footwork is not challenged, my consistency aggravates them.

If you are used to winning points of spinning the ball at your opponent with the rubber's extra spin effect, Karis is not the easiest rubber to do that with unless you have good arm acceleration. But if you do it with your own arm acceleration, there is enough there. But the flip side is all those people who are used to scoring free points off you when they loop the ball hard at you and expect your stroke to just miss the ball outright. With Karis, you have a good understanding of what it takes to put the ball back on the table. In fact, one of my opponents basically retired his signature deep heavy spin play against me and just focused on looping the ball past me or on heavy spin short with high arc into my middle because he realized my block/counter was now too good to be missing shots where I had time to set up.

Right now, I enjoy playing more than I did before I switched - the reason is that I understand my rubber much better. I ordered a couple of sheets of TSP Regalis Blue to test and there are things about the new Rasanter that make it seem that it might be in the same tradition as these rubbers though I am not in the mood to spend any money on that quite yet given the price. That said, if any of my students complaints about Tenergy or isn't improving, I have moved them to this because I think it makes understanding ball control much easier than the higher level rubbers.

I really can't play with Tensors or Tenergy without a prolonged (probably a month) adjustment period anymore, I really can't.

Exactly. I feel like I can still win points attacking (it really is not that slow), make fewer errors, and one thing that puts some pressure in people is they have to hit a little bit better shot to get me to miss. Now if only this soreness in my back would resolve. I have been really mindful of it and protecting an injury does not lead to great footwork.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2017, 23:38 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
I ended up biting the bullet and buying a red Karis in 2.1.

I'll compare to Regalis on the same blade and give my (MUCH) lower level perspective along with So_Devo.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017, 16:50 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Enjoy Karis FH attacking with a looser wrist at impact at first regardless of where you impact ball, even if it is a block with a little forward follow through, stay loose at first and when you get more timing confidence, firm up grip at impact to give more power. A block is an attack and you move more aggressive from there. Especially if you undecided on how to play inverted attack, start with a block loose grip and go more aggressive progressive.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2017, 04:32 
Super User

I have the two sheets of 2.2 mm M from AndySmith. I have only used them for an hour or so at my club (I had to go back to my HL3 with H8 and MX-P for the serious business of top table: I finished the evening on the top table, but I'm really a good recreational player at the moment, not a pro by any stretch), and have one sheet on a PG-7 with Xiom Vega Europe DF and the other on a DHS Fang Bo 2 with Tibhar EL-S.

The major initial impression was how different these two sheets are to each other. The red sheet has a similar feel to a non-glue effect Japanese rubber, whereas the black reacts almost like a tensor. I do find this quite worrying.

In terms of play, I really am looking for something to replace H8, because of the tendency of that rubber to gather dust, but I'm not convinced Karis can do that job. However, I do need some more structured experience with it. The linearity (of the red sheet) is similar, but I felt it lacked some of the solidity and spin potential of H8, without offering a lot in exchange. The black sheet on the Fang Bo 2 caught me out a little with its rebound, although I could easily get used to that. At the moment, I can get H8 from China for about £21, or Karis from England at £37.

We'll see.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next