OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Heat and humidity
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 08:37 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
After some playing issues on hot, humid days, I wonder if the anecdotes about sticky rubbers (or even "normal" rubbers like Mark V) slipping are valid. I really hesitate to blame the rubber.

So is it likely to be the rubber or me that's not working properly in those conditions?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: Heat and humidity
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 09:43 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate II
FH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
Xiom Omega V Asia doesn't work well in humid conditions either. It seems to lose its grip and it takes a lot more effort to get the ball over the net.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017, 19:16 

Blade: Butterfly Primorac
BH: DHS H8-80
It seems a lot of rubbers struggle with humidity, my Rakza7 being one of them, the ball simply slips from the racket on thinner contact and it is difficult to impart spin on serves.

However, there seem to be rubbers that are holding up well, 999t rubber seems to be the champion among them and I think iskandartaib and Der_Echte have spare emergency bats with 999t just for extra humid conditions.

Also in Nexy Karis thread Baal reported that Karis is working great in extra humid conditions.

Which is pretty interesting since I thought that the main reason why 999t works so well in humidity is extreme tackiness but appears some grippy rubbers can work well too and I am wondering what else could be good since I also struggle playing in such conditions.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2017, 11:53 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I can tell you that some sticky rubbers don't work, either. Forget what I was playing with when this topic came up two years ago, I think it was 729FX and something from Palio, but it was raining cats and dogs and we were playing where there was no airconditioning. The rubber actually got slick with condensation, brush loops would just squeak and the ball would drop off the racket face. 999t worked, though.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2017, 09:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I've lived in Houston for 20 years and in Florida before that so i know about humidity. Houston is a swamp. Literally.

Most rubbers perform poorly in those conditions. You are not imagining things.

Nexy Karis M is by far the best I have found for when there seems to be layer of H2O on everything. It is very grippy, not tacky. I never tried 999t. Juic years ago made a semi tacky 999 Elite rubber that was ok here also. I used it briefly in the speed glue era, might have been similar to 999t but I dont know.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2017, 06:17 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
BH: Rakza Z
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad it wasn't just me!

I'll test out some Globe 999T (and Karis M when Nexy Korea has stock again – it's kind of an expensive rubber to test, but if it's really like a quicker Mark V, I could probably get behind it) to see if either one suits me for regular use.

The idea of at least having a spare humidity-proof racket is tempting.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 03:26 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
it has been raining for about a week here in Silicon Valley area, and stopped briefly - and was quite warm. Last night, I had absolutely no chance of looping with any consistency with Tenergy - the rubber almost had a glaze on it! Could use it to chop-block on slower, less spinny opponent's loops...

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 13:17 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Pimples and anti should rule on days like that! :lol:

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2017, 13:30 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
PRW wrote:
it has been raining for about a week here in Silicon Valley area, and stopped briefly - and was quite warm. Last night, I had absolutely no chance of looping with any consistency with Tenergy - the rubber almost had a glaze on it! Could use it to chop-block on slower, less spinny opponent's loops...

PRW, I moved to Sacramento and did a few missions to Swan TTC, pop on down there one of the weekends I go... prolly 2x a month I go there now on Fri/Sat.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 13:04 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

PRW wrote:

Don't you guys really need the rain, though? :lol: Big drought in that part of the world last time I heard..

Iskandar

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 14:37 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

iskandar taib wrote:
PRW wrote:

Don't you guys really need the rain, though? :lol: Big drought in that part of the world last time I heard..

Iskandar

not any more! http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/12/us/california-oroville-dam-failure/
200,000 people evacuated...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/02/13/has-this-years-record-rain-finally-ended-californias-epic-drought-not-really/?utm_term=.3c52941eef7a

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 14:40 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Der_Echte wrote:
PRW wrote:

PRW, I moved to Sacramento and did a few missions to Swan TTC, pop on down there one of the weekends I go... prolly 2x a month I go there now on Fri/Sat.

excellent - I thought you were still in Korea, or on the East Coast, based on your posts! We can definitely meet up - I was at Swan TTC yesterday, it is only 10 minutes from where I live...

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 17:06 

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
On TT Daily, I post when I am around San Jose. I will likely be there this weekend or in LA, undecided. I usually meetup with Arakphoh G over there, he posts on TTD as well. I have been to swan 4 times so far, maybe you were there and never knew, I was the 110 kg Rambo Looper complaining about the light the net and everything but my own faults. :D

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 02:11 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Der_Echte wrote:
On TT Daily, I post when I am around San Jose. I will likely be there this weekend or in LA, undecided. I usually meetup with Arakphoh G over there, he posts on TTD as well. I have been to swan 4 times so far, maybe you were there and never knew, I was the 110 kg Rambo Looper complaining about the light the net and everything but my own faults. :D

haha - you play in the light weight division! :D well, compared to me at the moment, anyway...
I am playing a tournament in Livermore this weekend, Westchester next weekend, Sacramento 11 March - I will watch out for you. On Sundays, Swan has started a "league" at 2pm which is great fun.
this link shows what I look like.... viewtopic.php?f=39&t=29918

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 06:24 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
PRW said:
Quote:
this link shows what I look like.... viewtopic.php?f=39&t=29918

I thought that your thumbnail image next to each post showed that ... ;)

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!