OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:32

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2017, 07:46 

This is a rubber question, but it's not the standard what should I use because I want blah blah.
Well, it's sort of not that.

Anyway, here goes.

Context:
I'm 45 years old.
Been back into TT seriously for about 3.
My goal is to be a two-winged looper.
My level is 427points Canadian which seems to roughly translate to 1600-ish USATT.
( we can discuss that too if you like).

A friend wanted to try my set up about a month ago, so I was using his during this time.
He was using a Timo Boll ALC with baracuda and baracuda big slam.
My set up is listed in my signature.
One thing I noticed was that while using his set up, with the big slam( softer sponge) on my BH.
I noticed that the softer sponge seemed to be more forgiving of minor inconsistencies in my BH loop.
My logic being that the softer sponge gripped the ball more, or longer and I made shots that I would normally miss or not hit as well.
Coincidentally I found the faster blade with the slower rubber. Compared to my set up, very similar, other than the sponge hardness issue that I just mentioned.

Now when I play with my set up with Tibhar EL-S on my N-11 blade on my BH, I find it great if my technique is good, but less forgiving if my technique is not as perfect.

So, my question to you is that, in your opinion:

When it's time to replace this rubber, should I pick something similar to the EL-S, but with a softer sponge to land more shots now and as time goes on and hopefully my technique improves, then go back up to a medium sponge?
Or
Stick with the medium hard sponge that I'm using as it seems to only reward proper techniques?

I'm not expecting a magic rubber to fix all my problems.
I know only time and proper training will get me there.
I'm just wondering what your take is on this?

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2017, 08:46 
I am Legend
I am Legend

So there are two schools of thought:

1) Stick with your less forgiving rubber, train a hell of a lot and one day, everything will just click and you will end up with great technique and land everything. You've told yourself that you need perfect technique to win and you've got the time, devotion and ability to turn yourself into the next Ma Long... give it 10 years...

2) Go to the softer rubber with a bigger error margin. Train not as much and play relatively better for now. You've admitted to yourself that you are never going to be the next Ma Long so you're happier to play better in the now, but with slower improvement of your technique.

Anyway, softer rubbers have a larger error margin because they typically arc more. And you're not a robot, or the next ML so why bother missing all the time while your technique isn't perfect?

Food for thought: You continue using the bat you need good technique to land the shot. You train hard, but keep missing in games. Are you improving?

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2017, 14:05 

Silver wrote:
So there are two schools of thought:

1) Stick with your less forgiving rubber, train a hell of a lot and one day, everything will just click and you will end up with great technique and land everything. You've told yourself that you need perfect technique to win and you've got the time, devotion and ability to turn yourself into the next Ma Long... give it 10 years...

2) Go to the softer rubber with a bigger error margin. Train not as much and play relatively better for now. You've admitted to yourself that you are never going to be the next Ma Long so you're happier to play better in the now, but with slower improvement of your technique.

Anyway, softer rubbers have a larger error margin because they typically arc more. And you're not a robot, or the next ML so why bother missing all the time while your technique isn't perfect?

Food for thought: You continue using the bat you need good technique to land the shot. You train hard, but keep missing in games. Are you improving?

I guess that's more or less what I was thinking.
I was just looking for another possible point of view.

Thanks