OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2013, 15:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
I had only one extra paddle (bat, racket) one day at the University. This bat is my "kid's" bat. It has Dawei Super Power 2008XP on bothsides, and only 1.0mm sponge, both sides!!! And the blade is an ALL blade, a $5 Globe Blade.

Along comes this guy with an undetermined Eastern European accent, he asks to borrow a bat and to play. And he hit very amazing topspin/sidespin loops with this thin cheap rubber!!!! And this guy could REALLY swing!

His loops were as good as any I have played against. (the highest level player I play against is a 1700, the Canadian ranking is same level as the USA.)

I have previously found this rubber to be quite grippy, but I was very impressed!!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2013, 16:21 
Super User

As a fellow Canuck Glenn, I second the motion for best cheap sriver-like rubber - the dawei super power xp 2008. I say this of course as someone who's never even used sriver and will never have to because of the sxp!I have tried red and black and 1.8 and 1.5 med hard sponges. Can't be beat if you are just recreational or playing house league. In fact, I would extend my enthusiasm for dawei's line of blades and rubbers as I have 3 gts, 5 r2, 1 r5, 388d-1 ox, 10 xps 1.5, 10 xps 1.8, inspirit etc...dawei has never let me down. These rubbers are good for looping and chopping and I can't see how anyone who likes inverted can pick anything else that costs 3 or 4 x more!

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2013, 22:36 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Super power xp can make just about as much spin as anything else. In 1.0mm it won't make as much as one with max sponge, that said I had a hit with a high ranking player at a tournament a while ago who uses a 1.0mm rubber called speedy spin or something like that and he made a bulk load of spin. Nearly as much as anyone other top player makes with max sponge and a ton more than any 1700 level player would make even in his dreams.

I don't find there's very much difference for me between Max and 1.8mm on the forehand. And there's a big enough difference in chopping that if you were going to chop and loop on the forehand you would always go with 1.8mm.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2013, 22:40 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes, you need to be constantly brushing really fine to make 1mm work for looping. For most other things it feels great!

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2013, 20:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
foam wrote:
Super power xp can make just about as much spin as anything else. In 1.0mm it won't make as much as one with max sponge, that said I had a hit with a high ranking player at a tournament a while ago who uses a 1.0mm rubber called speedy spin or something like that and he made a bulk load of spin. Nearly as much as anyone other top player makes with max sponge and a ton more than any 1700 level player would make even in his dreams.

I don't find there's very much difference for me between Max and 1.8mm on the forehand. And there's a big enough difference in chopping that if you were going to chop and loop on the forehand you would always go with 1.8mm.

You likely have excellent technique. I need to do some comparison to see if I agree with your. I think that if it is true then its more true for non-chinese type rubbers. My experience is that with chinese rubber there is a pretty big difference between 2.0 and 2.2-especially with older harder sponge (non-speed glue).

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2013, 22:36 
Super User

vanjr wrote:
foam wrote:

You likely have excellent technique. I need to do some comparison to see if I agree with your. I think that if it is true then its more true for non-chinese type rubbers. My experience is that with chinese rubber there is a pretty big difference between 2.0 and 2.2-especially with older harder sponge (non-speed glue).

I would think the opposite is true. Especially with chinese rubbers sponge thickness matters less because they have such a hard sponge. The harder the sponge the less easy it is to bottom it out. So you won't feel much difference.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2013, 00:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

sunflex said:
Quote:
The harder the sponge the less easy it is to bottom it out. So you won't feel much difference.

I agree with this, I have played with quite a few thin sponged Chinese rubbers.

Dawei 2008xp, Dawei Navigator, 729 FX C, Palio CJ8000, 802, Globe 999, all with 1.0mm or 1.2mm sponges.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2013, 02:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
glennholder wrote:
sunflex said:
Quote:
The harder the sponge the less easy it is to bottom it out. So you won't feel much difference.

I agree with this, I have played with quite a few thin sponged Chinese rubbers.

Dawei 2008xp, Dawei Navigator, 729 FX C, Palio CJ8000, 802, Globe 999, all with 1.0mm or 1.2mm sponges.

I (respectfully) disagree. I think it is a matter of engaging or not engaging of sponge. Particularly on a loop. I don't think anyone can bottom out any sponge that is 1.0 thick if they are looping. Hitting and smashing are a different story. All IMO.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2013, 07:22 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
XP 2008 is my default BH rubber in 2.2 and it is after a couple sessions a totally non-sticky rubber in the mold of sriver - not excellent at anything but control.

Still, I can rip the cover off the ball on BH opening loops if someone pushes to my BH and I am ready. XP 2008 is about control and has heaps of it, but look for Calibra speed or T05 easy made spin from a weak stroke.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2013, 16:01 
Super User

2008xp, the best value in rubbers

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2013, 21:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

the_theologian said:

Quote:
2008xp, the best value in rubbers

I agree that this rubber is a VERY good value for up to a certain level of play.

I have assembled about 6 bats for advancing players with this rubber. And they all really like it.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2013, 05:15 
Super User

I have east European accent and loop pretty good with 6 $ Cream Transcend... ;)

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2013, 05:28 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
It's definitely the accent.

:P

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2013, 07:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Obi-wan said:
Quote:
I have east European accent and loop pretty good with 6 $ Cream Transcend..

THAT IS VERY FUNNY! I get your joke and you made me laugh! THANKS!

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2013, 12:19 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I can feel 1.8mm bottom out early on hard Chinese sponge, I use flexible blades so it doesn't really matter if the sponge does that, in fact the lowering of the ball at harder impacts works out better.