OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:47

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 22:59 

Hi!
I just wonder what is the place of "classic" european and japanese rubbers in modern table tennis?
By "classic" I mean linear rubbers made in Germany and Japan. Most of them were developed before speed-glue ban (Mark V, BTY Sriver (L, EL, FX) , Tibhar Rapid and Rapid Soft, Donic Vario Soft etc.) and still produced nowadays. There are also some rubbers similar in characteristics but released not so long ago (Joola Zack and Xiom Musa to name a few).
As speed-gluing became almost extinct such rubbers can't compete in power performance with modern ESN tensors and Tenergies.
So their niche could be allround, recreational play and as a rubber for new and developing players.
But on the other hand there are many rubbers released in China in the last 10 years that are similar in characteristics- not traditional hard-sponged tacky rubbers, but more of eurojap feel, softer sponges, topsheets with moderate to no tackiness. For example, Dawei 2008 and IQUL, Galaxy Mars II, LKT Pro XT\XP and Rapid series, 729 Cream Transcend, Focus 3 Snipe, Palio CJ8000, Sanwei T88 Taiji, 61 second rubbers, Spinlord rubbers etc. Many of them have no catapult or the catapult is very moderate, nowhere near to modern tensor rubbers. Many of them are recommended for beginners, allround and recreational play. Additionally they cost significantly less than classic european and japanese rubbers.

Am I missing something? Are "classic" rubbers worth it? Comments from players who used both "classic" rubbers and modern "eurojap" chinese rubbers are highly appreciated.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2017, 23:24 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Yes definitely classic type Euro/Japanese rubbers have a place at least at club level.

I have stepped back from Vega Europe and Elite to Musa on my faster TSP balsa blades to create a more linear feel with less bounce on blocks and pushes. Really helped tame an old TSP6.5 for all round play and still plenty of top end speed when needed

Also on a Xi Enting Tiger 560 blade I put together for a hard hitting team mate LKT rapid soft works really well giving feel and control as well as spin and speed.

Just trying out the new Xiom Intro on an Andro temper tech all+ (as Musa was a touch too slow). Intro at first impression plays like a supercharged Musa rather than a tensor - still very linear and controllable. :D

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2017, 23:36 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
I like that list you've put together of Chinese rubbers of jap/ euro characteristics and agree with the the ones on that list that I've played with si I trust the others are similar. Good to know :lol:

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 20:53 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
After having used Sriver, Mark V, Magic Carbon etc. etc. throughout the years I did switch to CJ8000 as my main rubber. With this rubber beeing available in different flavours and due to their low price I was able to find very competitive combinations for the blades I own.
I did test the effects of fresh-glueing and early tensors on my style as well and then, following a time-out of several years, I decided to go for a fast, stiff and bouncy blade in combination with a soft chinese euro-style rubber.
I did like the fresh-glue effect but I disliked the hassle of pulling the rubbers off and preparing them appropriately.
I did also test the effects of boosting and I am trying to get a suitable setup that needs the least preparation.
Hence, while boosting is said to be an act of the dark side I've met some top 50 players (nationally) just recently that still do fresh-glue their rubbers. So, even if I do use some boosting I don't think it's inappropriate.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2017, 10:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Worth it? Only if they are cheap. Mark V and Sriver et al. are still sold but at far too high a price given their performance relative to modern rubbers and the demands of 40+ balls. Hence some people might like some of the Chinese rubbers you mention and if boosted might be quite useable.

People who might be interested in a linear modern rubber with excellent top end might want to try Karis M or TSP Regalis. TSP is the cheaper option. Karis is pricier but in redibly lomg lasting in my experience.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2017, 20:51 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Also Xiom Vega Intro which is really more of a next generation classic rubber rather than a tensor, medium hard and direct. Good review here which I believe exactly sums Intro up having just bought a sheet of 1.8 red.

http://www.tt-spin.de/xiom-vega-intro/

Intro plays nothing like a soft tensor such as Vega Elite or Europe (I have both) and much nearer MUSA which I also use. Probably would have been more accurate for Xiom to call it Musa IV, but by marketing it as a more controllable tensor in the Vega series it will get a lot more attention.