OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:09

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Goliath Speed 2
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 05:26 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate
FH: DrN Dominance Spin Hard
BH: DrN Troublemaker 0.5
So I finally also had a chance to test the Goliath Speed 2 (GS2) in 2.1mm on Dr. N Matador blade. First off all the rubber looks like really high quality in terms of topsheet, sponge and the gluing. I'm not sure but I was wondering if the sponge is the same as that of the Agressor pips rubber. It somehow reminded me of that in terms of color and texture however I have only tested the Agressor briefly and it was a little while ago.
The first thing you notice when playing the GS2 is the low throw on all shots (I usually play Nittaku Hurricane 3 Neo on fh), however nothing which you wouldn't be able to adjust to in a fairly short time. The rubber is fast but it still plays pretty controlled on touch shots or serves. Where the GS2 really shines in my opinion is blocks and drives. It's insensitive to spin so that it is easy to block loops or even counter drive through the spin. My practice partner (who know me very well) had a lot of trouble with the blocks against his loops as they stayed very low and also seemed to have less spin on than usual. He ended up dumping a lot of my blocks into the net. However, the downside in my opinion is the spin generation on loops. My loops very fast and deep but didn't have nearly as much spin as the usually do with Nittaku Hurricane 3 Neo. I would call the spin level average here maybe similar to a classic rubber like Sriver.
Overall the Goliath Speed 2 is a very interesting rubber for players who prefer to block and drive and don't rely too much on loops with strong topspin. On blocks and drives the GS2 really shines with its low bounce, insensitivity to spin and high level of control.