OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Soft Chinese Rubbers
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2017, 01:12 
Super User

Blade: VKMO (FL)
FH: Gambler Volt-T black
BH: TSP Spectol Blue 1.5 red
If the nominal circumference is 4.625 inches (average of 4.5 and 4.75), that gives a nominal diameter of 37.4mm =~ 1.48". I'm guessing they decided on a 1.5" diameter then made up the circumference tolerance to put that roughly in the middle of the allowable band.

Interesting to see metric measurements were included about a decade later and became the primary measurements about two decades later.

Currently experimenting with short pips:
VKMO+ Gambler Volt-T + TSP Spectol Blue (1.5)
Joola CWX + Nittaku Hurricane III Pro Turbo Orange + Spinlord Gepard (1.8 )

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2017, 02:21 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
I'm glad someone else did the maths. I had roughly done it in my head, but it was worrying me.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2017, 02:31 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

kaesees wrote:
If the nominal circumference is 4.625 inches (average of 4.5 and 4.75), that gives a nominal diameter of 37.4mm =~ 1.48". I'm guessing they decided on a 1.5" diameter then made up the circumference tolerance to put that roughly in the middle of the allowable band.

Interesting to see metric measurements were included about a decade later and became the primary measurements about two decades later.

On that web page they don't go into details about what the actual metric equivalents were in the rules. It would be useful to actually have the full rules for each year.

Yeah, if an inch is 25.4mm, then 1.5 inches is 38.1mm, makes sense they had 1.5 inch diameter balls in mind. When they specified the tolerances in mm they probably used the same tolerances they had for the 40mm ball (i.e. +/- 0.5mm). 40mm balls were all just a hair above 39.5mm (manufacturing tolerances being far tighter than rules tolerances, so the manufacturers made them as small as possible, most likely because people preferred smaller balls because the "play better")... this is what led to the "ball size increase". I wonder if most 38mm balls weren't really just over 37.5mm.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 04:36 

Blade: Yasaka Sweden Extra
FH: DHS Neo Skyline 2 2.15mm
BH: Donic Acuda S3 max
To answer Cobalt's original question, I'm currently using Palio Hidden Dragon (Biotech Upgrade, whatever that means). Packaging describes it as 36-38 deg, though it doesn't feel soft like a Euro rubber. (Anyone know what Chinese scale 36-38 translates to in Euro scale?).

For the record, I'm enjoying using it at the moment as it's non-tacky but grippy. I'm able to put plenty of spin on the ball (or as much as my technique currently allows :lol: ) but not be too affected by incoming spin. Behaves similar to CJ8000 except for the tackiness. Very cheap too - got it here in the UK from a supplier for roughly £8.00 a sheet. Here's the link to the store for more info if anyone's interested:

http://skilltoyz.com/2-x-palio-hidden-d ... ers-36-38/

Yasaka Sweden Extra FH: DHS Skyline Neo 2 2.15mm BH: Donic Acuda S3 max
Donic Waldner Exclusive AR+ Palio Hidden Dragon 2.2 x 2