OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:20

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 00:40 

Blade: TSP Black Balsa 3.0
FH: Tibhar Vari Spin 1.8
BH: Tibhar Vari Spin 1.8
When Bluestorm, Rasanter, and (the new)Aurus came out, they were said to have thinner, elastic topsheet to give more space for a thicker sponge and to compensate for the spin that was difficult to impart on plastic balls.

I first heard this description for the Victas Vs 401; the thin, elastic topsheet. This rubber was greatly praised for being a fantastic chopping rubber with attacking capabilities. Since then, i had the presumption that thin, elastic topsheet plus a med hard to hard sponge is a good choice for modern defenders.

I would like to ask if the Omega V series can be described like this as well. Are their topsheet thinner than the normal esn rubbers before the plastic ball era?

I just went back to playing after around a 10 year break so hearing about tensioned, esn rubbers and the plastic ball is quite the news to me.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 03:20 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
From the various reviews it seems that V pro has a hardish top sponge and flexible top sheet as you describe, but V Europe has a softer sponge but harder top sheet. The new TSP regalia and Aurus select rubbers seem to more follow the new thin top sheet approach.