OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2018, 01:22 
Super User

Blade: Joola Xylo 7
FH: Battle 2 National 38
BH: Trick Anti
legu333 wrote:
I am not from the USA, so I can not tell what my rating would be in that system. Also I think everyone can always improve technique no matter what rating / skill one has. I really just wanted to know if there are objectively seen, from just pure data, better alternatives that would give me a better chance in an actual competition (both spin and speed wise). Also it nice to see that some talented individuals can scrap by with the setup, but that does not really mean that the setup is so good, its more like they are just skilled enough to perform even with substandard equipment.

I changed from Baracuda to Tibhar Evolution MX-S and I can say that the spin is comparable if not better(MX-S is very spinny) and in terms of speed MX-S is much faster on my blade (which is a defensive blade(Joola Toni Hold White Spot)).
But I must say that my technique is more suited for chinese type of rubbers so I just couldn't get the speed I needed from Baracuda. And I've got no problems with the MX-S. But you should be ready that these are quite different rubbers and the touch game with them is also different.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2018, 01:52 

Blade: Butterfly Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G1- 1.9MM
BH: GD Meteorite .05MM
pgpg wrote:
Riot207 wrote:

All about technique good sir. I've been obliterated by a 1900 level player in their mid 50's multiple times. He uses barracuda on his FH, and uses a Donic Defplay blade which is pretty darn slow in comparison. He's taught me a very valuable lesson. It's not how fast you can hit a ball by someone that will win you matches, it's about strategy and placement that will win you games. Barracuda has a crap ton of spin, and tons of control, use the rubber's strengths to your advantage.

pgpg - You use to use Donic Barracuda if I'm not mistaken.

• What did you love about the rubber?
  • What did you hate about it?
  • Why did you move onto another rubber?

If you are talking about me, then I'm 1800 at best :). Also, last time we played, you beat me, I think, but that was before you switched to pips...

I originally got Baracuda because everyone was raving about its spin, which it has plenty, plus some people said it chops well. I have not really hated anything in particular, still have it an old sheet on one of my blades. It is somewhat sensitive to spin, if I were to pick something. Moved away from it mostly due to exploration and desire to try something else (also Rasant went on sale, IIRC).

No, different player... Wasn't referring to you good sir, although I can see how you'd think I was. Last time you and I played, was back in October when I had just made the switch from inverted to LP OX (dr. N Gangster) and squeaked a game 5 winner from ya at BTTC ;). If memory serves me correctly, you were using Victas rubber for forehand and maybe Cloud and fog 3?

I'm still not happy with my forehand rubber, I refuse to pay the tenergy prices anymore (which means: the wife says no), and have hopped back and forth between Victas 15>Extra and Tibhar Evolution MX-S and cannot seem to find a happy medium.. Barracuda has the spin factor I'm looking for, I just don't think it will match the speed I'm looking for though.

III. Tibhar Stratus Power Wood; FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 2.1mm; BH: Victas V > 01 Stiff 2.0mm

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2018, 04:05 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
legu333 wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps you are far above my level, but just adding some perspectives and observations here. Like everyone said, hard to comment without knowing your level, technique, and style.

I am not from the USA, so I can not tell what my rating would be in that system. Also I think everyone can always improve technique no matter what rating / skill one has. I really just wanted to know if there are objectively seen, from just pure data, better alternatives that would give me a better chance in an actual competition (both spin and speed wise). Also it nice to see that some talented individuals can scrap by with the setup, but that does not really mean that the setup is so good, its more like they are just skilled enough to perform even with substandard equipment.

Fair enough. I guess I just disagree with your assertion that it's 'substandard.' Whether a rubber is substandard is relative to the user, and that's my point. Bojun thinks it's superior to Tenergy and H3. If speed = superior to you, then just buy fast spinny rubbers...any of the suggestions above are good enough. Whether it improves your game outcomes is another question.

Getting off the dead horse that we've beaten. :)

So question, have you hit with any other faster rubbers? Did they help?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 02:04 

Blade: Butterfly Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G1- 1.9MM
BH: GD Meteorite .05MM
legu333 wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps you are far above my level, but just adding some perspectives and observations here. Like everyone said, hard to comment without knowing your level, technique, and style.

A person with proper technique and knowledge of the sport will perform well regardless of the equipment that is in his/her hand.

When you state, "I really just wanted to know if there are objectively seen, from just pure data, better alternatives that would give me a better chance in an actual competition (both spin and speed wise)."
For me, your statement creates questions of whether or not your focus should be on which equipment is going to give you that "edge" in competition or just utilize the setup you have and focus on training and mastering your technique in order to use the set up to it's fullest potential.

Of course this is all subjective without knowing how long you've played the sport, if you've had any coaching, and how many times a week you play or not seeing any video of your play.

Generally speaking from my own personal experience, when you start looking at equipment and thinking it's going to save your game or give you that edge in competition, it's best to just put your head down and train harder with the equipment you have.

III. Tibhar Stratus Power Wood; FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 2.1mm; BH: Victas V > 01 Stiff 2.0mm

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 12:21 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

My take on this is that rubber matters a great deal less than blade. When trying out different rubbers ( the only way to do it is back-to-back on the same blade) I usually have to stop and think about what I'm experiencing. Differences are usually quite subtle (unless you are talking about, say, Reactor Ckylin). My motivation for trying all sorts of rubbers is different from other people's - in most cases it's to verify what someone has written about some rubber or another. In most cases the result has been disappointment - I am pretty sure by now that there isn't any magic rubber that will immediately give me twice the spin or double the speed of whatever I am using at the moment. Not even 10% more, or even 5%. Most rubbers play pretty well, and are usable by most people and they don't affect my game. Now, if I were a much better player perhaps my opinion would be different, perhaps I would be able to use some of these rubbers to better effect, but I think that would apply more to the likes of H3 than to Tensors.

Blades, on the other hand... :lol:

Iskandar