OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018, 07:14 

Hi. Last time I came back to VKM and P1R 1.0 and it was bulls's-eye. After a few training session my scores are better than with my old setup and I'm teally happy playing with that.
However I put H8 again because I have been usually playing with chinese rubbers at FH side. I've never played with tensor rubber since I became defender (above 3yrs ago). I played with Vs>401 (not bad for chopping but very weak attack), Sanwei Target National and now H8. It's not bad but has some disadvantages: lack spin on short pushing and slow moves like chopping and loops, is weak on smashing, need very fast hand to generate good spin. Some of my opponents think I'm playing with anti on FH :^)
I want to try out something from tensor rubbers. Many good defenders play with Tenergy on FH. Maybe it's good idea to check one of them? However it's veeery expensive and maybe there is a good alternative for them, like Evolution series? My style is very similar to Joo style- I mainly chop with both sides (70-80% of fh is chopping) but when my opponent does mistake I try to attack with loop/topspin with FH. The thing I depend on is the lowest trajectory, possibly high spin with each type of play and not bad control to be able to chop (however, it's matter of practise- if people can do it very well with e.g. T64 2.1).
What rubber do You recommend to try?

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018, 10:08 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
rocket222 wrote:
I played with Vs>401 (not bad for chopping but very weak attack),...

Have you tried VS>402? It's more all rounded with better attacking potential.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018, 11:24 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Tibhar Super Defense still works great.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018, 16:58 

Dusty054 wrote:
rocket222 wrote:
I played with Vs>401 (not bad for chopping but very weak attack),...

Have you tried VS>402? It's more all rounded with better attacking potential.

Didn't tried it but it's not what I look for. V>15 should be better here.

rokphish2 wrote:
Tibhar Super Defense still works great.

You didn't understand me :) I don't look for typical defensive rubber. My goal is to make a setup based on professional players setup, especially Joo, who is the closest to my style. I know, I'm not professional player, I won't use 100% of its possibilities but if T64 is best for such style, I want to put it and practise practise practise with this setup to get better and better. Only disadvantage is the price- if it was cheaper I would buy it and don't ask You for advice.
My question should sound like: do You know any good alternative rubber for T64 (low trajectory and high spin with good control)?

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018, 17:21 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

There are probably DOZENS of rubbers that would fit the bill. And a lot of people would have a hard time telling them apart.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018, 17:32 

I know :D that's why i have indecision ;) But from my experience Evolution is the closest to Tenergy- which one should be closest to T64? Their price is not bad (there is sale in my shop- you get free Tibhar Evo t-shirt for buying rubber :D )and quality is very high that's why I think about this series. And here is next question- is it worth to pay 20$ more for Tenergy if you can get almost the same cheaper ;)

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018, 18:37 
Super User

I'm also looking into a new forehand rubber for my defensive game. I've been using short pips on my forehand for ages but I'm considering making a switch back to inverted on the forehand side. After a little research last night, I'm thinking of trying Donic Bluefire M3. Alternatively, I could try a new tensor style short pip...

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
FH - DHS Hurricane 3 Neo 2.2mm
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

Hardbat Equipment (Former Full-Time Hardbat Player)
Blade - Marty Reisman custom 5 ply Hock
Rubber - Yasaka Cobalt Alpha OX

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018, 19:18 

Snowmam, for me M3 could be way too soft, I like harder rubbers ;)

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018, 21:54 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

I don't think I was way off with the rubber I mentioned. All the people that I know use it for both defense and attack as in modern defender style.

Noone I know use it for purely attacking game nor purely defensive game.

I tried it briefly and agree that it's easier to use for attack and defence. Easier to use it defensively than other offensive rubbers. For me, I could play both offensive and defensive easier and better with it than using T05 (for me easier to use offensively than defensively).

If you are higher level and/or want to put in the hours then you could any offensive rubbers and use it defensively too like Joo, etc.

My recommendation in part because it works good right now and better the longer you put practice into it, compare getting something like T64 which will work after putting some long hours into it. It's cheaper, last long, high spin, very good control.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018, 22:23 

rokphish2 wrote:
I don't think I was way off with the rubber I mentioned. All the people that I know use it for both defense and attack as in modern defender style.

Noone I know use it for purely attacking game nor purely defensive game.

I tried it briefly and agree that it's easier to use for attack and defence. Easier to use it defensively than other offensive rubbers. For me, I could play both offensive and defensive easier and better with it than using T05 (for me easier to use offensively than defensively).

If you are higher level and/or want to put in the hours then you could any offensive rubbers and use it defensively too like Joo, etc.

My recommendation in part because it works good right now and better the longer you put practice into it, compare getting something like T64 which will work after putting some long hours into it. It's cheaper, last long, high spin, very good control.

Hmmm, I dont want any defensive rubber because I tried Vs>401 and Marder (I or II) and both were playing wrong for me. I don't say that You are wrong, maybe Super Defense is very good rubber but probably not for me- it seems to be similar to VS>401 and Marder that i dont like.

I can't tell what level I am because there is no TT Rank in my country but I'm developing all the time because I'm just 22yo, lost my weight, I'm getting faster and faster with my legs. And You wrote the holy truth- after buying one of Tenergy I will need a lot of practise but it will repay after some time.
I decided to risk and buy Tenergy. However I dont know which one... There are different opinions about them. Most says that T64 is best for chopping, but Joo probably changed it to T05 (why?). Apart from that, there is interesting picture telling us that while generating backspin (chopping) T05 has lowest trajectory (which I look for) http://en.butterflymag.com/2015/06/all-about-tenergy-22/
But here the author criticize T05 for chopping and praise T64 for that: https://www.tabletennisspot.com/review-butterfly-tenergy-05-vs-64/What do You think about that?

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018, 22:48 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
rocket222 wrote:

But here the author criticize T05 for chopping and praise T64 for that: https://www.tabletennisspot.com/review-butterfly-tenergy-05-vs-64/What do You think about that?

I would not put too much trust into this specific review: reviewer pretty much enumerates his equipment history as a 6$ Sportscraft paddle from Walmart, another premade from Stiga and then jumps into TBS and Tenergy. No idea about the level or play style, and frankly the site itself and reviews seem to exist only to show you Amazon affiliate ads.

I'll also bet my nonexistent family farm that reviewer is not a chopper and most likely refers to pushes as 'chops'. So, caveat emptor.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018, 23:11 
Super User

Blade: VKMO (FL)
FH: Gambler Volt-T black
BH: TSP Spectol Blue 1.5 red
I am surprised by the issues you had with H8. I have a sheet of H8 on my old Defplay and it's quite spinny even with the tackiness almost entirely worn off - I get a lot of mileage off of serves with that setup.

Currently experimenting with short pips:
VKMO+ Gambler Volt-T + TSP Spectol Blue (1.5)
Joola CWX + Nittaku Hurricane III Pro Turbo Orange + Spinlord Gepard (1.8 )

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2018, 00:17 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

In that case, go for Tenergy 05. But I would recommend the 05FX just because it's softer and would be easier to chop with (well, for me that is, I find softer rubber is better for my fh chopping). As time goes by when the rubber is worn and time to get a new one, you can get the 05.

The article you mentioned already gives you a lot of description and also example of users. Closest to what you want would be example of Gionis using the 05.

If you're still unsure, compromise and get the 80. Use it until it's worn out and use it as benchmark to which you're leaning toward, the 05 or 64.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2018, 00:35 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
I think all of the Tenergy rubbers chop well on the FH. All of them. In any thickness.

I also think Evo MX-P chops well.

I personally love Omega IV Asia in 2.0mm for chopping. Similar to T64 but a tad spinnier. I have only borrowed Omega V Asia and attempted chopping, but that was easy.

I am currently using Omega VII Pro in max. It chops well.

Regalis and Karis (the new "linear" tensors) also chop well in any thickness.

I have heard good things about V15 too.

So in summary...all of them will work. :up: :lol: 8)

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2018, 04:55 

Thanks for valuable answers!
Had a practise session today and I analysed my game. If i have good player who isn't scary and loop, I play rather classic defense, chop both sides and try to attack when he makes mistake. With people under my level I attack a lot because they are scared then and it gives me lots of points. Apart from that, at my level I can cover abot 3/4 or even 4/5 of the table with my FH. And here is next disadvantage of H8- lacks power in mid to far distance, especially on VKM which isn't a beast.
I've seen this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeCmjsvMrbE&t=241s
This man chops with 05 2.1 on Korbel, he is much worse footwork than me, and, probably worse technique. So why couldn't I play with Tenergy on VKM ;) I will probably take 05, try it out for about 3 months, if I won't be able to play with it, I will back to H8.
And last question- 2.1mm or 1.9mm? :D