OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 08:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 22:01 

Blade: VISCARIA/Liu Shiwen ZL
FH: DHS neo H3/Haifu whale 3
BH: nittaku factive/yasaka r7
Hey guys!

I'm new here, and I come from China. I find that many people on forums out of China feel confused about DHS H3, because there are so many versions...Let me introduce them to you, in a Chinese amateur player's view. I hope it will be helpful~

Above all, I have to say something about myself. I'm 21 yrs old, and I have played TT over 10 yrs, trained for about 700-1000hours. My English skills are limited thus I can not describe my style in an accurate way. You can regard my style as the same as Ma Long's, which is the most popular style in China. Well, I'm amateur but he is pro...My view on H3 is mostly based on looping. If you can't loop, this topic may be meaningless for you.

I will introduce H3 in several different aspects, like different versions: neo/provincial/national/nittaku, different sponges, different hardness, and how to use them.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 22:54 

1. About different versions.

To tell your the truth, there are over 14 versions in Chinese market, I'm going to choose several versions that can be bought in the area out of Chinese Mainland.

First, let me tell you the meaning of "neo". As we know, VOC ban started from 2008, and DHS H3 used to be a kind of rubber relying very much on VOC glues(in Chinese we call them organic glues), and DHS tried a lot to find sponges to replace #20 sponges(orange) and #22 sponges (blue), however, they failed. But they gained something, they find that #20 and #22 can be handled with special boosters before market. And these kind of handled rubber can be energic even without organic glues in about 1 month, that means after 1 month, the rubber can not get a high performance. And that's exactly the meaning of "neo". So you can find neo rubbers are in vacuum packages.

Second, let's talk about difference between common version's and provincial and national version's. National H3 is the most expensive version, and most common version is the cheapest version. The administrative divisions of China have consisted of several levels. Currently, there are 5 practical levels of local government: the provincial, prefecture, county, township, and village. Every provincial area has a TT team to represent it, which is the starting point for Chinese pro TT players. Thus "provincial" used to point that these rubbers are special made for provincial TT teams. Well, it now just means that these rubbers have higher quality than common version's, they are not special made. So "national" is in the same way. It just means these rubbers have higher quality than provincial version's. They are not special made too.

The most common version's H3 have 8 angles, provincial ones have 6 angles, national ones have 4 angles. These angles are just a kind of labels in case of lower-quality rubbers being sold with high price. In my opinion, provincial version is the best choice for most people, they are not so expensive, and they have reliable qualities. Well, maybe people in developed country can pay more on TT. :D

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 23:14 

2. Colors and sponges.

There are 2 kinds of sponges, #20(orange), #22(blue). Actually, there are also #19(blue) #21(I don't remember the color, maybe blue?) but you can not buy them in EU or US. #19 and #21 sponges are trash, do not buy them. Ok, let's focus on #20 and #22. They have their own features.

Blue ones have better performance on looping and spin, and much more tricky throw. Orange ones have better speed and longer lifetime. To tell the truth, the differences between #20 and #22 are not so big, both of them are traditional FH rubbers, blue ones are a little bit more traditional (I guess in western players' eyes :D).

In a word, both kinds of sponges are good, you can try them and choose what you like.

Last edited by Yin on 28 Apr 2018, 01:17, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 23:18 

Ahh, something I almost forget. I don' suggest you to try nittaku H3. Because nittaku H3 rubbers have a really complicated origin, even too complicated for me. The qualities of nittaku H3 are not stable, so......I don't suggest you to buy them...

Last edited by Yin on 28 Apr 2018, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 23:57 

3. Hardness and thickness.

You may find 38,39,40... on DHS rubbers, 46,47,48...on other Chinese rubbers...That may makes you confused. Actually, they are not shared the same measurement standards. Here let's just talk about H3.

Usually, you can regard the blue ones are 1 degree softer than orange ones even if they have the same labels, this is because the features of #20 and #22. And 38, 39, 40 are your best choices (whatever colors). Even Chinese pro players won't use 41,42, if you find some Chinese national team players use 41,42, that's because their sponges of rubbers are special made, not the same as what you can buy in the market.

As for thickness, most pro players choose 2.1mm, some will also choose 2.15mm, that's because the thickness of the whole rubber can not be beyond 4.0mm. 2.1mm and 2.15mm are much safer than 2.2mm. As for amateur players, 2.1, 2.15, 2.2mm are all good. But I recommend 2.1mm most, because thicker sponges need high strength. And Chinese TT players have strong preference to thick sponges, so we won consider thinner ones, but that not means thinner ones are not suitable for you guys. After all, there are not best equipment, there are most suitable equipment.

Ahhh, my advices are just for attackers, not suitable for players who use chopping most...As far as I know, defensive players would like to use neo 1.7/1.9, blue, 35-37degrees...

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 00:58 

4.How to use them.

I'm going to talk about 2 aspects, on equipment and on technology of looping.
On equipment:
As I mentioned before, DHS H3 relied on boosters (we also call them oil). 3 kinds of oil are popular in China. Falco Long Boosters, Seamoon oil, Nittaku Speed Oil. Sorry I don't know how to add images...
Maybe you can buy Falco oil and Nittaku oil, and it may be hard for you to buy Seamoon oil, forget that, seamoon oil is not the best choice.
Time of duration: Falco(over 1 month)>Seamoon(less than 1 month)>Nittaku( 2~3weeks)
Damage to the sponge: Seamoon>Falco>>Nittaku
Energy: Seamoon>=Falco>Nittaku
Soft(oil can make the sponge softer): Nittaku>Seamoon>Falco

There should be lots of videos to introduce how to use boosters...you can google or youtube it.

By the way, nittaku oil can be used on other rubbers with big pores in the sponges like tenergy, mxp, bluefire when they are not as energic as when you bought them. (DON NOT USE TOO MUCH!!!!!)

On looping:
DHS H3 is designed for Chinese forehand looping, emphasizing strong friction combined with impaction( forgive my poor English :sweat: ), you can watch Ma Long and Zhang Jike 's videos to know more...Maybe can I upload my own practice?
LOL

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 01:14 

Bonus:
My own advice on versions of H3:

If you're strong, 39,40 degrees are suitable for you.
If you're wealthy, neo national version is your best choice, as for sponge, it totally depends on your own style.
If you're normal as me( not wealthy and not poor, mastering looping), 38/39, 2.1mm neo provincial version is your best choice.
If you decided to use traditional Chinese rubbers on your forehand for a long time, Falco oil is a good choice.

Neo versions are much more worthy than non-neo version, unless you are still using VOC glues.

Please forgive my poor English...

Actually there are also many good traditional FH rubbers like Haifu whale 3 (purple sponge), however, I can not introduce them in such a systemic way.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 02:18 

Thank you, that's some nice summary! Do you find that Neo sponge is superior to the old #20 when using Falco? (It's generally accepted for Seamoon, for FTL I have met different opinions...)

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 02:37 

al_111 wrote:
Thank you, that's some nice summary! Do you find that Neo sponge is superior to the old #20 when using Falco? (It's generally accepted for Seamoon, for FTL I have met different opinions...)

Good question. However, in Chinese forums, there are also two opinions. And I asked my pro friends, he said they only use neo sponges...Well, in my own opinion, the difference between them is light, we should focus more on our skills...

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 12:38 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
I've been told that the Neo sponge responses/works better with booster.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2018, 08:32 
Super User

This is a long shot, but do you have any idea what rubber Ma Te uses on his forehand? From pictures, it looks like DHS H3 (thick sponge too). I ask because he seems to get considerably more spin than any other defender I'm aware of at the moment.

I'm a defender and I'm likely going to do a 'me too' and invest in some Tenergy for my forehand in the next week or two. However, a friend accidentally ordered the wrong color of a sheet of H3 Neo commercial 2.15, so I've put it on my blade to test.

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
FH - DHS Hurricane 3 Neo 2.2mm
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

Hardbat Equipment (Former Full-Time Hardbat Player)
Blade - Marty Reisman custom 5 ply Hock
Rubber - Yasaka Cobalt Alpha OX

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2018, 10:49 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Chopping with H3 sure does generate a bit more spin than others but at the expense of more effort & power to do so. It gets tiring real fast if you do a lot of chopping from away of the table.

instagram: rokphishtt

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2018, 21:13 

Blade: Tibhar E. Lebesson
FH: Xiom Vega Pro
BH: Xiom Vega Pro
And what about rubber color? Any difference b/w black and red? :)

PostPosted: 02 May 2018, 01:49 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Yin wrote:
Second, let's talk about difference between common version's and provincial and national version's. National H3 is the most expensive version, and most common version is the cheapest version. The administrative divisions of China have consisted of several levels. Currently, there are 5 practical levels of local government: the provincial, prefecture, county, township, and village. Every provincial area has a TT team to represent it, which is the starting point for Chinese pro TT players. Thus "provincial" used to point that these rubbers are special made for provincial TT teams. Well, it now just means that these rubbers have higher quality than common version's, they are not special made. So "national" is in the same way. It just means these rubbers have higher quality than provincial version's. They are not special made too.

The most common version's H3 have 8 angles, provincial ones have 6 angles, national ones have 4 angles. These angles are just a kind of labels in case of lower-quality rubbers being sold with high price. In my opinion, provincial version is the best choice for most people, they are not so expensive, and they have reliable qualities. Well, maybe people in developed country can pay more on TT. :D

I don't know what inter-regional sports are like in China, but if it's anything like Indonesia, the various provinces take it extremely seriously (and I mean EXTREMELY SERIOUSLY - maybe even TOO SERIOUSLY) and will spend large amounts of money if they think it will help them win a medal or two. In Indonesia there are several aeromodelling competition classes which are part of the national games, and it's gotten to the point where there are four or five regional teams that spend tens of thousands of US dollars buying engines and models from Russia and the Ukraine. It's sort of ruined it for the more casual hobbyist - the other teams that don't have the resources don't stand much of a chance. So regional teams contracting with DHS or Haifu for special rubber really isn't beyond reason.

What we usually say is that retail H3 has four corners cut off, the regional versions two corners cut off, and the national versions have no corners cut off.

Yin wrote:
There are 2 kinds of sponges, #20(orange), #22(blue). Actually, there are also #19(blue) #21(I don't remember the color, maybe blue?) but you can not buy them in EU or US. #19 and #21 sponges are trash, do not buy them. Ok, let's focus on #20 and #22. They have their own features.

Blue ones have better performance on looping and spin, and much more tricky throw. Orange ones have better speed and longer lifetime. To tell the truth, the differences between #20 and #22 are not so big, both of them are traditional FH rubbers, blue ones are a little bit more traditional (I guess in western players' eyes :D).

In a word, both kinds of sponges are good, you can try them and choose what you like.

Might want to mention that if you want blue sponge, you HAVE to buy Provincial or National - the Retail only comes with orange sponge. No idea if it's #20 or not. You will also not find blue sponge behind red topsheets - I suspect the resulting rubber will be too dark (or too purple). Even National red rubber comes with orange sponge. At least, as far as I've seen.

Yin wrote:
Ahh, something I almost forget. I don' suggest you to try nittaku H3. Because nittaku H3 rubbers have a really complicated origin, even too complicated for me. The qualities of nittaku H3 are not stable, so......I don't suggest you to buy them...

Apparently in China "not stable" or "unstable" means "not consistent":

http://prott.vip/Product-Details.aspx?productcode=3

Interestingly enough, "Nittaku H3" is under DHS in the LARC, not under Nittaku.

Yin wrote:
I'm going to talk about 2 aspects, on equipment and on technology of looping.
On equipment:
As I mentioned before, DHS H3 relied on boosters (we also call them oil). 3 kinds of oil are popular in China. Falco Long Boosters, Seamoon oil, Nittaku Speed Oil. Sorry I don't know how to add images...
Maybe you can buy Falco oil and Nittaku oil, and it may be hard for you to buy Seamoon oil, forget that, seamoon oil is not the best choice.
Time of duration: Falco(over 1 month)>Seamoon(less than 1 month)>Nittaku( 2~3weeks)
Damage to the sponge: Seamoon>Falco>>Nittaku
Energy: Seamoon>=Falco>Nittaku
Soft(oil can make the sponge softer): Nittaku>Seamoon>Falco

There should be lots of videos to introduce how to use boosters...you can google or youtube it.

By the way, nittaku oil can be used on other rubbers with big pores in the sponges like tenergy, mxp, bluefire when they are not as energic as when you bought them. (DON NOT USE TOO MUCH!!!!!)

On looping:
DHS H3 is designed for Chinese forehand looping, emphasizing strong friction combined with impaction( forgive my poor English :sweat: ), you can watch Ma Long and Zhang Jike 's videos to know more...Maybe can I upload my own practice?
LOL

This is VERY interesting information. I've never heard of the Nittaku oil, but the one most often mentioned on YouTube seems to be Dianchi. Maybe because it's available in Hong Kong, and most of these videos seem to be from there. I've also seen the following brands: LIDU, Kailin, Wendy's, DingJi and Tuttle. I have personally tried Falco (Long), Seamoon, Tuttle, Dingji and Wendy's - of these Seamoon, DingJi and Wendy's seem to be very similar to each other. Tuttle is VERY thin (like kerosene), and Falco is a totally different animal (it really lasts). Also wondering what people in China say about the glues this vendor sells:

http://prott.vip/Product-List.aspx?producttype=64

Note the "National" boosters. They used to sell different types - white, black, brown, yellow. Only white, brown and yellow are still available, and I have not been tempted to buy any because 1) they are expensive and 2) shipping is also expensive. This shop also sells purported "personal" rubbers:

http://prott.vip/Product-List.aspx?producttype=51

Are these the real deal, or is this a scam? What do people in China say?

By the way, your English is awesome. Don't worry about it!

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 May 2018, 22:28 

Blade: Waldner Senso Carbon
How do people treat their H3 usually in China?

Does everyone boost their rubber and how often? Or do only better people boost it?