OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 20:20

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Chinese vs Euro
PostPosted: 10 May 2018, 22:44 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Mount a Chinese sheet on one side and a Euro sheet on the other side. Twiddle and try the same stroke.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 May 2018, 23:37 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
iskandar taib wrote:
Mount a Chinese sheet on one side and a Euro sheet on the other side. Twiddle and try the same stroke.

Iskandar
I'd actually written about that but deleted. My Backhand rubber is fairly new and nicely cut so don't want to disturb it and possibly shrink.

PostPosted: 11 May 2018, 00:58 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

iskandar taib wrote:
Really??? Weren't Jonyer et al. doing this back in the 1970s using plain old Sriver?? Albeit with speed glue.

Huh.. just noticed that Carbonman posted the exact same thing.. :lol:

Iskandar

lol...and Jonyer and co only started using glue in the LATE 70s. Before that the big shots were produced with just humble unassisted Sriver. :o

PostPosted: 11 May 2018, 01:04 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Cobalt wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:

Iskandar
I'd actually written about that but deleted. My Backhand rubber is fairly new and nicely cut so don't want to disturb it and possibly shrink.

If the backhand is a Euro rubber put a Chinese one on the forehand or vice versa..

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 May 2018, 06:03 

Blade: Vanity II (custom)
FH: DHS Gold Arc 8
BH: Nittaku FastArc-G1
iskandar taib wrote:
tt2u wrote:
One main thing that Chinese sticky rubbers do well is the is the topspin counter loop which is very popular in recent years lead by Ma Long. With the sticky topsheet the counter loop can be done at very low height, even below table, and still have power and pace. You can't do that with a Euro rubber for sure.

Really??? Weren't Jonyer et al. doing this back in the 1970s using plain old Sriver?? Albeit with speed glue.

Huh.. just noticed that Carbonman posted the exact same thing.. :lol:

Iskandar

I’ve seen (and heard) Surbek hit it heavy in the pre-speedglue days. Plain ol’ Sriver, thick-sponged. I think that sick sound is what “sound” rubbers seek to provide.

PostPosted: 11 May 2018, 10:26 
Super User

carbonman wrote:
tt2u wrote:
@carbonman, if you take a look at the recent match of XX vs Frankziska in the wtttc final you will see my point. XX is topspining the ball below the table half of the time during counter loops and killing his opponent. It's very difficult to finish a point below the table if you are not using a Chinese rubber. Euro rubbers are too fast and doesn't "hold" the ball well to get that kind of trajectory.

tt4u - why do you assume the telling variable to be equipment and not technique? XX has a huge swing and generates enormous power whereas Franziska has a far more economical swing. If XX used Euro rubber and Franziska used Chinese rubber do u really think there would be any significant change? Look at players like Rye Seung Min and Kim Taek Soo. They used Euro rubbers and could loop powerfully from anywhere because they had powerful technique. Even back in the day, players like Jonyer could hit blindingly powerful loops from low balls using Sriver. At a slightly lower level...If you have some strongish loopers (say above 2400) at your club get them to show you how to loop powerfully off low balls with Euro rubber, its not that difficult.

I was not comparing players but merely ask you to see XX loops due to use of Chinese rubber, because he, and likewise a young ZJK, covers a lot of territories with their forehand. If XX use a Euro rubber on the same blade his percentage would be way down, which would make the rubber useless. Given the same blade and same fitness level I still say a sticky Chinese rubber is better at loops and counter loops low balls. I haven't seen Jonyer in action so I can't comment. The curves on the loops of RSM and KTS looks very different than XX's, especially the footwork, but it's just me. RSM and KTS didn't looked to finish points at such low height.

PostPosted: 12 May 2018, 21:55 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Just wondering how you know this. Give Xu Xin a racket with Tenergy 05 on it, let him practice with it for a week and I'll bet he'd be looping just as well as he ever did. The Chinese use H3 for the control over the table ( the short game) rather than added power in the loops.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 13 May 2018, 22:37 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Cobalt wrote:
Typically in the past, Chinese rubbers have been tacky and hard whereas Euro are traditionally non tacky and softer. There are examples of the opposite however I'd like to stick with the typical characteristics for now. I'm also talking tensors and all rubbers out of the packet, not boosted.

Apart from the physical characteristics, what are the playing characteristics. Are there many Chinese rubbers that are as fast as Euro tensors?

What tends to be better for pushing, blocking, slow spinny loops, loop drive, smashes etc.

Also the difference between a Euro loop and Chinese loop confuses me. Surely the ball can only tell the bat speed and angle at point of contact rather than how it got there. I would have thought style is somewhat irrelevant.
More and more I think that "hard" in hard sponged Traditional Chinese Rubber is a misnomer.

Should be called "damp" instead. :)

"The sponge" never hard like dried natural sponge. :)

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk