OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2018, 09:47 
I am Legend
I am Legend

awwwwww blame me

One thing I'd like to note - occasionally you find rubbers and blades that don't work well together - eg the blade is too soft and the ball feels like the sponge barely compresses, etc, vice versa. There are a lot of variables that affect this - even just sponge drying out, how much glue you put on to start with, etc. I thought regalis red on a xiom off S was ok at first - a bit hard, but ok. After a few weeks, I couldn't get the ball into the sponge at all. Sometimes this can be fixed purely by just pulling the rubber up and regluing it - I guess getting a bit of build up under it.

This is one of the reasons I prefer harder blades - you rarely get this issue on hard blades and composites, etc.

Here's something fun - occasionally, when you EJ away from your base setup, when you go back to it you realise your preferences have changed and your base setup doesn't feel right at all.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2018, 10:14 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Haha, not blaming you Silver, in fact I feel you were correct. After your comment I tried a mates Offensive S and it did give me some extra zip, however as BRS pointed out, balls were coming back faster to me. From there I decided to get an Off- blade and settled on the Alvaro Robles which has been ok, a little extra speed but still within my range.

We always look for excuses after a loss which happened to me on Wednesday night. My forehand was terrible, I just wasn't getting any bite or lift on the ball and shot after shot the ball was going into the net. One opponent started targeting my forehand which normally is crazy but it was working. In the end I found myself pushing at balls I'd normally attack. As I was getting no bite or lift I suspected that my nearly year old, secondhand Gewo Flexxon Soft was nearing the end of its days so went and bought the Rhyzm.

Unfortunately the Rhyzm was giving me pretty similar results straight out the packet. Then I had a go at my mates Temper Tech All+ with Hexer and it was exactly what I was missing. All of a sudden I was getting good arc, was able to hit multiple loops and confidence was back. I've used it before and had similar results. Same with another guys Stratus Powerwood with Evolution ELP. Just seems that the combo I've got at the moment just isn't cutting it.

I've decided that despite it being about 11 degrees max outside today, I'm going to set up the robot and do some tests. If I were to capture on video, what angle do you think would be the best. Behind, front, side, or angled? Most of my videos are taken from the opponents backhand side which is where my forehand goes. Example below. I'm thinking maybe same angle perhaps a bit more side on and lower to better see the arc.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2018, 13:24 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Probably depends on what you are trying to target

For example, that video you can really notice your blade angle wobbling around during your hit. You can also see how much you are really bobbing up and down. If from behind, you can concentrate on what your feet are doing, etc. side on, easier to see the path your strokes are taking. Front on makes t easy to see your hip rotation

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2018, 19:23 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Did the test this afternoon. Set the robot to moderate topspin and tested a few combos. The test really didn't tell me anything. Was expecting to be noticeable differences between say the Robles with Rhyzm compared to Appelgren and Hexer. There appeared to be little difference on this particular stroke though the Appelgren was slower. I'd be interested to do the same test for moderate slow backspin to simulate typical pushes at our club but didn't have the time on this occasion.

Robot settings were 4 0 5 1 for those with a V300.

Here's the combos: -
1) Gewo Alvaro Robles Off- with Joola Rhyzm
2) Gewo Avlaro Robles Off- with Donic Baracuda Big Slam
3) Donic Appelgren Allplay with Donic Baracuda
4) Donic Appelgren Allplay with Andro Hexer
5) Gewo Alvaro Robles Off- with Joola Rhyzm (again)
6) Gewo Alvaro Robles Off- with Andro Hexer

The videos can't really tell any difference as the quality of both the recording and the shots aren't quite up to it but if you see anything feel free to comment.

Although this was not meant to be a technique thread, one thing I did pick up on is the various shapes of my stroke. Some are a concave L, some are a convex L, not many are on a straight plane. This is something I feel myself doing and I bet it leads to inconsistancies. In watching the pro players, each stroke seems to be on the same plane.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2018, 23:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

It is hard to read too much from that. Safety looks best with the allplay/hexer combo. But it's a small sample off a robot, would have to match test it.

Yoko Ono