OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2018, 16:59 

Blade: Donic Appelgren Excl. AR
FH: KTL Pro XP
BH: KTL Pro XP
Hi all, not sure how to go on this one:

I have a Yasaka Sweden Classic blade with Mark V rubbers (1.8 thickness). I've had it for about 6-8 months and it feels so slow (I have seen others agree on this site about this setup). Now I love the Mark V rubber, especially because of how well it has forced me to improve my form, but the lack of speed just kills me. Would anyone have any suggestions for a faster rubber that would still be suitable for a beginner that has some experience? Or would this be one of those times that I should just suck it up and play until the rubber wears out and my skill increases more? Typically I'm going up against club members with high speed rubbers. Could it just be that my relative perception of the speed is that it is slow when its not? I don't really know how to make sense of the situation.

If you have a rubber suggestion, bonus points for being sub $20.

Last edited by notcras on 13 Sep 2018, 04:04, edited 1 time in total.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2018, 18:27 

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita
FH: Tenergy 05 1.7
BH: Victas P1V 1.0
Sure that Mark V lacks speed? Mark V is one of the fastest classical rubbers and certainly not slower than Hurricane. Usually lack of speed is a consequence of lack of technique. You create speed with your body, not with your equipment (check out: kinematic chain table tennis). I'm sure you can easily play USATT 2000 with your setup.

Do you have a coach? If so, let her/him choose your equipment. If not, my advice: stick to your equipment. I'm sure that you don't need faster rubbers or a faster blade. With those, you'll loose control and this is a greater flaw by far.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2018, 18:54 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Mark V max sponge

instagram: rokphishtt

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2018, 19:43 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

It's certainly not slower than Hurricane because Hurricane is pretty slow.. :lol: I suggest getting a sheet of Tenergy 05 (or a sheet of Evolution MX-P) and putting it on one side of the blade. And then see if you STILL think Mark V is slow. :lol: (Yes, there will be a difference, whether it's as large as you THINK it should be is another matter...)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2018, 20:23 
Super User

Mark V on a Sweden Classic slow? I beg to differ. :o

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2018, 21:03 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
One of the reasons to use Fast rubbers is that they enable you to hit/block hard with shorter movements closer the table. So yes if you are young/strong you can create lots of speed with Mark V on a classic blade but a faster rubber will enable you to do the same with a shorter swing and less effort. Great for old blokes like me. At a reasonable price you could try out XIOM Intro in 2.0mm or max on you FH. Intro plays like a faster medium hard classic rubber so you should not have to adapt to much as Intro is quite linear with no excessive catapult.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2018, 23:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I wonder how many of the other posters have competed with a sweden classic? I used that blade with t05 for about two years and it was slow with tenergy. And I am usatt 1900 so my technique is not good but it's good enough.

Players who suffer from speed glue nostalgia think mark v is still a good rubber. It isn't. Ask somebody from your club who uses any proper modern rubber if you can have their old worn-out sheets when they change them. Tenergy, evolution, bluefire, fastarc, rasanter, xiom omega or vega, it really doesn't matter. They are all modern rubbers thst make adequate speed and spin. Even a dead worn-out sheet of any of those will perform better than your mark v. And $0 is less than $20, so bonus points.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 01:14 
Super User

Blade: dr neubauer firewall +
FH: DHS skyline 3 neo 2.15 mm
BH: Dr. Neubauer Agressor 1.5
try other with friends who have some. Do some regular bh to bh or fh to fh and if you can still be confortable with it than go. If you miss much more then stay with what you have . Faster is not laways better. A ferrari is no very good for new driver. Learn the rope than upgrade. Also if you control your equipment than it will be fun. If its difficult to control then its no fun.

More training will bring you up to new equipement. not the reverse.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 04:12 

Blade: Donic Appelgren Excl. AR
FH: KTL Pro XP
BH: KTL Pro XP
I was afraid that I was blaming my equipment too much... thanks everyone! I'll stick with my current setup for now, and maybe try other people's setups occasionally if I want to mix things up for a day. I don't have a coach, unfortunately. There is one about 40 minutes away, but I have no chance right now to get there.

BRS, I read your post but I don't know how to take it. I have read a lot about people claiming Mark V was only really good in the speed glue era. Playing with Mark V has been a really good experience for me, learning-wise so I know that there is a lot of benefit sticking to it. When the ball doesn't do what I want, I know its because of something I did. I don't really feel that I'll feel that with tensors, but I don't have much experience with them anyway.

One extra thing - seems that when I was trying to type 1.8 with parentheses it translated the 8 and ) as a smiley. I have since edited the first post. Is the 1.8 sponge thickness too thin? I see that someone is recommending max thickness. Thoughts?

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 06:37 
Super User

FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
2.0mm or max will provide a little additional speed and spin which an offensive playing style would benefit from. All round/defence 1.8 or less ok. I think Mark V can be bought as thin as 1.0mm.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 10:11 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Dusty054 wrote:
2.0mm or max will provide a little additional speed and spin which an offensive playing style would benefit from. All round/defence 1.8 or less ok. I think Mark V can be bought as thin as 1.0mm.
to be exact,

thicker sponge will absorb speed more, so on block the ball shall bounce slower, but

now you have a thicker rubber to bite the ball before bottoming up, enabling faster and spinner loop.

You will know that you need a thicker rubber when You are afraid to loop with full force, when you afraid that the ball shall fly over the table. :)

Sent from my I7D using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 11:53 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

BeGo wrote:
to be exact,

thicker sponge will absorb speed more, so on block the ball shall bounce slower,

Is this true?? Maybe I should make some back-to-back comparisons. The difference might be very slight between 2.0 and Max, but if I compare Max with 1.5 the difference should be obvious. I'd have thought, blocking against a hard topspin drive, the thinner sponge would bounce less. That's why that old Russian guy who chops with inverted both sides uses thin sponge.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 13:17 
Super User

FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
BeGo wrote:
thicker sponge will absorb speed more, so on block the ball shall bounce slower, but

Not sure about that. It hasn’t been my experience, except with dampening sponges. In any case, not much of a concern for the OP either way.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 00:48 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
iskandar taib wrote:
BeGo wrote:
to be exact,

thicker sponge will absorb speed more, so on block the ball shall bounce slower,

Is this true?? Maybe I should make some back-to-back comparisons. The difference might be very slight between 2.0 and Max, but if I compare Max with 1.5 the difference should be obvious. I'd have thought, blocking against a hard topspin drive, the thinner sponge would bounce less. That's why that old Russian guy who chops with inverted both sides uses thin sponge.

Iskandar

yes, agree, most commoners like us could only feel the difference in >= 0.5 mm thickness. :)

Most obvious reason why thinner sponges more desirable at chopping is, they affected by incoming spin less, which means flatter return, and,

why we thin sponged defenders stand further from the table than looper is, we just can't push the ball trajectory down like looper,

Sent from my I7D using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 06:43 

BH: straight
Perhaps I should consider upgrading my Mark V too?My current set up is a Stiga Ulf Bengtsson Offensive with Mark V and Sriver. The complete bat is 30 years old so should I consider anything new?
Seriously how does the new Mark V compare the old stuff?I would guess the blade is still OK and would be interesting to try some different rubbers.Any suggestions for a close to table fast attacking,loop spin player?