OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 05:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2018, 03:05 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I must say, I haven't really had bad luck with 729 rubbers. I've bought a lot of their training sheets, none of those have been bad. The 2-for-1 packs that they sell (Batwings) have been excellent so far, and is one of the few rubbers I've found available in thinner sponges (notable others would be some parts of the LKT XT/XP line). My favorite cheap rubber is Yinhe 9000 (GH Sports, one of Eacheng's AliExpress stores, sells two sheets for $10.30), though I can't say it's any better or worse than other $5 sheets. Ironically, there were some excellent "Generic" sheets of Palio Emperor Dragon available for $4 each from ttnpp (you had to add shipping, though), but they seem to have run out of those. Better than the Emperor Dragon in the proper packets - I tried a couple of those, one of them had a bubble straight out of the packet.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2018, 16:12 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
I must say, I haven't really had bad luck with 729 rubbers.
Iskandar

Yep.. Over the years, I've bought quite a few 729 sheets for myself, without any issues whatsoever ... The Focus 3 Snipe, I bought, but used by my friend, is the ONLY rubber that I've seen an issue with...

Back in the day, the Mark V used to offer very good value for money... However, now, the price has shot-up almost 3 folds ... I'd rather opt for the Chinese alternatives...

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2018, 03:49 
Super User

Blade: Donic Waldner WC 89 FL
FH: Donic BlueStar A2 Red Max
BH: DMS Firestorm Black 1.8
iskandar taib wrote:
Yeah, Chinese rubbers aren't known for consistency or QC. This seems to depend on the brand. I've seen a lot of people say DHS rubbers (particularly H3) vary a lot from sheet to sheet, but I haven't experienced this myself. I did have a sheet of PF4 which I bought sometime in the 1980s which delaminated, and that put me off DHS stuff for a long time. 729 seems OK, I haven't heard any complaints about Yinhe rubbers. LKT/KTL, though... I had three out of three sheets of Golden Star shed their topsheets (that's a rate of 100%). Palio rubbers? (This would include Yasaka ZAP and New Era.) The less said the better. I've had sheets with bubbles right out of the packet, sheets with really excessive dish (one with so much the topsheet actually creased when forced flat on a blade), etc. Kokutaku 868 seems to shed the topsheet after 2-3 years (and even if those 2-3 years are in storage!).

Iskandar

I had an issue with gold star also, one of my 3 sheets fell apart. I glued it on one night, next morning the topsheet had separated. And by separated, I mean completely fell off of the sponge. I have also seen sheets of Torrent bubble after a short time playing with them. Snipe rubbers, which someone mentioned, on the other hand have been consistent and long lasting, and are reasonably close to Mark V.

Yinhe has been fairly good for me, as long as you don't boost, this really shortened the life of these sheets, most of them were Moon Pro. A few Moon (standard, and speed), Sun Pro, Venus, Mars, along with others like Neptune. I should mention that this was years ago, so may not apply with current rubber sheets on the market now.

Giant Dragon was mostly their long pips, so doesn't apply here.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2018, 09:29 

Blade: Donic Appelgren Excl. AR
FH: KTL Pro XP
BH: KTL Pro XP
LOOPOVER wrote:
You might email the staff at Zeropong. They could make some good suggestions. Mark V is just an average rubber vs the plastic ball.

I sent an email and got this: "The closest one that we have to that would be the Gambler X3 Diamond with Gearz sponge, but if you want something that plays very similar we would suggest Mech Tek Predator."

I was confused about the Mech Tek Predator response, so I followed up. Why would a rubber that is billed as a tenergy alternative be a good Mark V replacement? Their reply: "Certainly Mech Tek is close to Tenergy 80 as per customer reviews. Remember MarkV is a much older design so any rubber I recommend will have more spin and possibly a bit more speed."

Does anyone have experience with the X3 Diamond rubber?

Sounds like Snipe is a real winner! I guess that is the one to go for. Thanks!

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2018, 16:40 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

What, no one's tried Yinhe Mercury 2? :lol: Doesn't have as much cachet as Sun or Moon or Big Dipper, but it plays pretty nice and is plenty fast and spinny. The best thing is you can often pick it up for a little more than $5 a sheet.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2018, 18:04 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
What, no one's tried Yinhe Mercury 2? :lol: Doesn't have as much cachet as Sun or Moon or Big Dipper, but it plays pretty nice and is plenty fast and spinny. The best thing is you can often pick it up for a little more than $5 a sheet.
Iskandar

Not tried it .... Whats the weight ?

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2018, 18:13 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Found a UK retailer that I had not heard of before that appears to stock yinhe blades & rubbers plus some DHS.

Ppong.co.uk

With the crazy prices of euro brands definitely worth trying

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2018, 20:00 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

What, you've never heard of Mercury II? :lol: It's got MOXA sponge! :lol:

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... mercury+II

GH Sports seems to have the best price at the moment - that's one of the Eachengs.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Sh ... 51465.html

It's even available in three sponge hardnesses. Weights? Lets see:

Yinhe Mercury II
red 62.23g 165x165mm 0.229g/cm^2
red 63.00g 164x164mm 0.234g/cm^2

(Multiply the last figure - the areal density - by 200 to get the cut weight for most blades.)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2018, 07:42 

Blade: Sanwei Fextra
FH: Sanwei Target National
BH: Palio AK47 Red
notcras wrote:
Does anyone have experience with the X3 Diamond rubber?

If you have decided to go with the Focus III Snipe, that is probably a good decision. While I have no experience with that rubber, I have used the X3 Diamond with GearZ sponge. While the GearZ sponge is good, the X3 Diamond topsheet is hard and brittle. I have seen comments online (for what they're worth) stating that the X3 Diamond topsheet is the same one as the Gambler Outlaw which had similar problems of falling apart. Mine crumbled at the corners within a couple of months and I have since replaced it with the Palio Hadou 40+. Maybe I will try the Focus III Snipe when I decide to replace the Hadou.

Paddles
---------
Primary: Sanwei Fextra, Sanwei Target National on FH, Palio AK47 red on BH
Backup: Sanwei Fextra, Palio HK1997 Gold on FH, Sanwei T88-Taiji on BH
Motto: Always Learnin'