OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:36

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2018, 06:54 

BH: straight
I currently use AK47 rubbers on both sides having just got back into the game.I have a nice lightweight blade but feel the rubbers are rather heavy.Any suggestions for rubbers with similar playing charactistics but lighter in weight.Similar price would be nice.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2018, 07:07 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
I would look into Friendship/729 rubbers - Focus 3 Snipe, probably.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2018, 14:53 
Super User

gradge wrote:
I currently use AK47 rubbers on both sides having just got back into the game.I have a nice lightweight blade but feel the rubbers are rather heavy.Any suggestions for rubbers with similar playing charactistics but lighter in weight.Similar price would be nice.

Hi,

I'm assuming that you're currently using the old/original Palio AK47.... The newer variants, ie. AK47 Red, Yellow Sponge, Blue are a lot lighter... The Yellow Sponge, is the heaviest of the 3, but is still lighter than the old/original AK47.

The newer Red, Yellow, Blue variants, differ in speed, and hardness... Red, being the hardest and fastest, and Blue being the softest. Yellow sits between the Red & Yellow... I've tried the Yellow, and Blue, and I quite like both, as long as they're paired with a blades that're on the stiffer side...

I second Ziv's suggestion of the Focus III Snipe... It comes in different sponge hardness... I'm using one (On another setup) that has a sponge hardness of 39° - 41° ...

You could also check-out various rubbers by LKT/KLT, Yinhe, and other Chinese brands... They all have inexpensive, and some light-weight options.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2018, 18:46 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Just be mindful that a light rubber will not play the same as a heavy one. Usually the light ones have a softer sponge, which will play differently.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2018, 04:49 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
Yasaka Shining Dragon is a mid-hard rubber but much lighter than Chinese stuff. Only problem is removing rubber from blade ... you HAVE TO USE Nailpolish Remover or Acetone to remove it, else the topsheet will separate from the sponge from the slightest tension of pulling it.

Go for 729 OEM ... or 729 SuperFX ( FX-C if u want slower ).

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2018, 05:09 

Thanks folks- my current AK47 has red/peach sponge and yellow sponge. Perhaps I will just change the yellow sponge for something different.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2018, 10:10 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=25211

Lightweight? Try KTL Green Dragon. That is one radically light rubber. Also 868 is a little lighter than normal (but it's got 2.0mm sponge rather than 2.2, despite what it says on the package).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2018, 10:36 
Super User

Change your AK to the blue version. Will play similar but one of the lightest rubbers there is.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2018, 13:58 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

gradge wrote:
Thanks folks- my current AK47 has red/peach sponge and yellow sponge. Perhaps I will just change the yellow sponge for something different.

Sounds like the old AK47, actually.

Blue is lighter? I dunno...

Palio AK47 Blue
red 60.99g 168x168mm 0.216g/cm^2

Not THAT light. Plenty of lighter Chinese sheets. These are light:

KTL Pro-XT "Green Dragon"
black 47.77g 163x167mm 0.177g/cm^2
KTL Pro-XT
black 53.23g 166x168mm 0.193g/cm^2

Iskandar

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2018, 16:25 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:

Blue is lighter? I dunno...

Palio AK47 Blue
red 60.99g 168x168mm 0.216g/cm^2

Not THAT light. Plenty of lighter Chinese sheets. These are light:

Iskandar

That's odd (or is it ? given how inconsistent some these Chinese products are) ... If I recollect correctly, mine weighed around 53 gms. uncut... Could not weigh, just the rubber, post cutting, since it's glued to the blade, and then cut. But, we could shave-off a min. of 8-10gms (I have a larger blade head).. So, at less than 45gms cut, I'd say, it's still quite light, comparatively. Then, if the weight:performance, is taken into consideration, the rubber is well worth-it

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 02:47 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

It's not just "Chinese products" that are inconsistent. Have a look in Haggis's rubber sheet weight database (kinda too lazy to get you a URL right now) and you'll see that even expensive Japanese and German sheets vary a lot in weight. German sheets can be pretty heavy, too. Only a year or so ago people were complaining that Nexy Karis sheets had HUGE weight differences, and that's a $50 sheet.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 05:38 

Tempted to try some KTL XT as they are pennies on Aliexpress!
Sadly I think QC is a major problem with cheaper items of any description these days.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 08:20 
Super User

I've used Tuttle Beijing 4, and found it a ridiculously good rubber for such a cheap price. If you're in the mood to try something different...

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 11:57 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Actually, I'd say MOST Chinese rubbers are of really good quality. There ARE a few with QC problems, most notably those KTL Gold Star sheets I bought a couple years back. And Palio - the new AK47s seem OK quality wise but their older sheets were really hit and miss. Prices are low because - well, Chinese goods can be made at a low price for various reasons. Which is why Apple makes its I-Phones in China.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 17:31 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Actually, I'd say MOST Chinese rubbers are of really good quality. There ARE a few with QC problems, most notably those KTL Gold Star sheets I bought a couple years back. And Palio - the new AK47s seem OK quality wise but their older sheets were really hit and miss. Prices are low because - well, Chinese goods can be made at a low price for various reasons. Which is why Apple makes its I-Phones in China.
Iskandar

Personally, I've bought loads of Chinese rubbers/blades/balls, and have almost never faced issues with the blades nor rubbers.. My statement is based, mostly on feedback from clubmates, and/or other players... More recently, with the 729 Focus III Snipe rubber... I have one (Black 39°-41°), and there's nothing wrong with it, and it plays amazing. .. On the other hand, a fellow club-mate bought the same one in Red, around the same time, and it plays kind of weird - The ball seems to just slip of the rubber...

I've found major inconsistencies with the balls - More recently, with DHS D40+ (Ding Ning on the box) ... I bought a box of 10, around a week back, which seems to look and play, differently from lots, I had purchased 3-6 months back... The newer lot balls, seem whiter, have more bounce (here, I find inconsistencies within balls of the same lot itself), and feel heavier..