OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 06:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Smashing with Mark V
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 10:20 
Super User

Blade: Hallmark Aurora
FH: Haifu Dolphin
BH: Pogo
Been playing SPs for years, now switched to inverted and started looping. Question. For higher balls that I want to smash, should I spin a little or flat hit even if it's spinny?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Smashing with Mark V
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 12:55 
Super User

Smack dat a$$! Don't let your years of flat hitting skills go to waste, loop only when bounce is close to or under net height.

I'm on the fence about switching to inverted as well, but not willing to give up the spin and smash game. Inverted might just give me the attacking initiative but still keep a relatively "hitter" oriented game. Please let me know how you are adapting.

Post subject: Re: Smashing with Mark V
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 17:56 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Topspin helps put the ball on the table - even a "flat" hit has some topspin. The really fast ones require more topspin to land, the logical extreme would be the loop kill (extreme speed, which requires extreme spin to land). Some of this topspin can some from the incoming topspin, of course, if you're using inverted you can get away with hitting pretty flat, since the incoming topspin gets "reflected" back. I imagine if you have short pips, you STILL have to have topspin on your hard hits, but you'd have to use a more upward stroke since the spin reflection would be a lot less.

Danny Seemiller told us to come over the ball (i.e. put a little topspin on it) when hitting against high lobs. And not to put 100% power into it (70% would be adequate). This was when we paid him to come down to our club for an evening of coaching. YMMV - other coaches might say different things.

Iskandar