OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 15:20

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2009, 08:04 
Super User

:shock:

That explains why Joola Express is so hard! A normal rubber with 42 deg sponge would feel :pale:

But then which would feel softer, Joola Express (or any tensor with around 42 deg sponge) or Tenergy 05?

If it feels soft, do you also mean it plays like it's soft or is it just unique?

Oh my gawd. I haven't been on here since Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:52am
Stiga NCT Allround Wood : FH Tenergy 05 2.1 BH Bryce Speed 1.9

Nittaku Shellshock : Sriver FX 1.7/Feint Long II 0.5~~Darker 3Mai Gouban : Mark V 1.8/Solcion 1.9
Unused : Tenergy 64 1.9, Flextra 1.7, Micro 2.0, Mambo H 2.0, Mambo H 2.0, Reforma 2.0

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2009, 08:18 
Super User

Express One is hard, Express Two is soft. All the new rubbers (both Japanese and German) are coming out in hard and soft sponge versions.

But compared to Japanese/Chinese rubbers the 'hard' German sponges really aren't that hard.

And remember that degree ratings system for sponge is not universal. 42 degrees German does not = 42 degrees Japanese.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2009, 08:29 
Super User

Oh yeah, forgot about sponge measurements being different :oops:

I might give some German tensors a go sometime in the future.

Nittaku Shellshock : Sriver FX 1.7/Feint Long II 0.5~~Darker 3Mai Gouban : Mark V 1.8/Solcion 1.9
Unused : Tenergy 64 1.9, Flextra 1.7, Micro 2.0, Mambo H 2.0, Mambo H 2.0, Reforma 2.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2009, 12:22 
Super User

Are the Gewo Proton rubbers Tensors?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2009, 04:46 
Super User

"Tensor", "Tensor Bond" and "Tensor BIOS" are all registered trademarks of ESN ... in Germany. I verified this on the Germany Trademark search database that is online.

However, what is unclear is the status of that trademark in other countries. For instance, a search or the World Intellectual Property Organization database did not turn up an entry for Tensor or its variations for ESN and the U.S. or Japanese Trademark database doesn't turn anything up for ESN and these three trademarks.

Another interesting thing to note is that ESN fails to put a (TM) notice against "Tensor" their website. They do, however, put an (R) notice on their graphical trademark.

I'm not sure about international laws and trademarks, so I'm not sure how solid the "Tensor" trademark is across international boundaries. Considering how the term "tensor" is being used to describe what many players believe are "pre-tensioned" topsheets in a generic way, even if ESN does have a good legal foothold internationally on the "Tensor" trademark, they may very well lose it if they don't protect it more aggressively.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2009, 05:16 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Its a bit like calling a vacuum cleaner a 'hoover' If it does the same job, who cares, the rubbers that are not tensors, but are highly tensioned, are doing the same thing, sometimes with better effect, whether the result is achieved by spring sponge or tensor technology, its the end product that matters IMO, whatever its called.

http://tabletennis.about.com/od/glossar ... rubber.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2009, 09:28 
Super User

Dark horse wrote:
Its a bit like calling a vacuum cleaner a 'hoover' If it does the same job, who cares, the rubbers that are not tensors, but are highly tensioned, are doing the same thing, sometimes with better effect, whether the result is achieved by spring sponge or tensor technology, its the end product that matters IMO, whatever its called.

http://tabletennis.about.com/od/glossar ... rubber.htm

Well part of the problem is the notion that "Tensor" rubbers are somehow "tensioned." The ENS site never mentions anything about the rubber being tensioned. They speak instead about adding organic chemicals to the rubber that alter its elastic properties.

The stretching as described in the link you mentioned would be illegal under ITTF 2.4.7 - so I strongly suspect that is not what is happening. But maybe I'm wrong. How many folks are finding the rubber that they buy is being delivered with a pronounced dome shape rather than being a flat sheet? If it is a flat sheet, then the rubber isn't under tension. The only thing to hold the tension would be the sponge, and that would cause doming just like what happens when speed glue expands sponge.

BTW, if the stretching of the top sheet was a major part of the glue effect, then why did speed glued rubbers lose their effectiveness when the VOC evaporated. The speed glued rubber remained stretched and under tension until it was removed. It seems pretty clear that the major effect came from how the VOCs changed the elastic properties of the sponge and probably the topsheet.

If the technologies are, in fact, different but people are calling two, three or more different technological approaches all the same thing, then it probably does make a difference. It might be worth knowing something about the differences.

I agree though that trademarks often mean less to consumers of products than they do to the makers of products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2009, 19:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wturber wrote:
How many folks are finding the rubber that they buy is being delivered with a pronounced dome shape rather than being a flat sheet? If it is a flat sheet, then the rubber isn't under tension. The only thing to hold the tension would be the sponge, and that would cause doming just like what happens when speed glue expands sponge.

I think that is a real valid point.
Sp/glue containing VOC's expands the sponge cells due to gas expansion, the trapped gasses expanding the sponge cell walls, making them thinner, this expands the sponge sheet as a whole, but as its stuck to the top sheet, the expansion is limited on that side, causing a dome. The effect is short lived because the glue ceases to produce VOC vapors. If the sponge has been expanded permanently, before the top sheet is attached, there will be no dome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2009, 06:22 
Super User

FYI, per the manufacturer, Palio Macro ERA is a "4.5G" Tensor. This whole half-gen designation is kinda silly, methinks, :) but it is a latest iteration product.

blade BTY Photino ST/Palio HengDa #1 ST, fh Palio Macro ERA 42deg MAX, bh Palio CK531A OX

TT Armory, N. America Palio distributor. Macro ERA Tensor, Biotech rubbers, and more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2009, 03:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Quote:
How many folks are finding the rubber that they buy is being delivered with a pronounced dome shape rather than being a flat sheet? If it is a flat sheet, then the rubber isn't under tension. The only thing to hold the tension would be the sponge, and that would cause doming just like what happens when speed glue expands sponge.

I agree. very interesting point indeed. It is probably why Tensors have never played exactly like speed glue. It is something different, and I suspect it has a lot to do with the topsheet, which is why they are fragile. I actually preferred it, even when speed glue was legal. This is also true, I think, for Tenergy. It's something different, not just a "pre-speed glued" rubber.

PostPosted: 03 May 2009, 21:50 

silver, no one cares about your stupid tensor list
+1 vote to delete this thread

PostPosted: 03 May 2009, 23:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Quote:
silver, no one cares about your stupid tensor list
+1 vote to delete this thread

Fortunately you don't get a vote.

PostPosted: 05 May 2009, 21:35 

hmm... i want to ask u all in this forum...

How about the durability of tensor rubber if i compared it with traditional rubber??

Can u guys explain it to me?

And...

What is the cheapest tensor rubber in this world??

Can you suggest?? :lol:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 05 May 2009, 22:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I know the feeling, you remember that long discussion we had with Trevor Biggun over at DDTW were he refused to accept the facts that Tensor is a brand name and nothing else? I think we proved him wrong with at least 5 different links, but he still refused to cave in.

There are some, myself occassionally included, who refuse to let facts get in the way of a perfectly good predjudice:)
tOD

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 12:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
ich wrote:
hmm... i want to ask u all in this forum...

How about the durability of tensor rubber if i compared it with traditional rubber??

Can u guys explain it to me?

And...

What is the cheapest tensor rubber in this world??

Can you suggest?? :lol:

All tensors are less durable than traditional rubebrs.

There are other rubber that do have a glue effect but are not tensors, that are reporetd to be much more durable... BTY Tenergy, and dare I say it JUIC Air Condle are examples.

The Palio is probably the cheapest tensor...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!