OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2009, 15:04 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
The different packaging could be well due to the fact that zeropong gets he export version, whereas eacheng gets the local Chinese version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2009, 19:16 
The Artist
The Artist

haggisv wrote:
The different packaging could be well due to the fact that zeropong gets he export version, whereas eacheng gets the local Chinese version.

Good point, Haggisv :)

EDIT: Just checked 7-8 Chinese TT shops and about 60 percent feature the older packaging whereas the rest feature the newer one with new logos.

Example: http://search1.taobao.com/browse/0/n-g, ... opsearch=1

So maybe not such a good point after all, hehe :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2009, 22:43 
Super User

ok... now back to the ques... Is there really a pre-tuned version?

So far the only discussion about pre-tuned 729-08 is in mytt forum as stated. I have not seen any discussion about new version of 729-08 in any chinese forums. If there is really one, there should be some discussions over there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2009, 03:00 
The Artist
The Artist

charlesj wrote:

So far the only discussion about pre-tuned 729-08 is in mytt forum as stated. I have not seen any discussion about new version of 729-08 in any chinese forums. If there is really one, there should be some discussions over there...

Yes, I agree so we can safely say that there is no pre-tuned version of 729-08 IMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2009, 14:44 

What version is the one that eacheng sells, that just comes in a plastic sleeve without the packaging? I'm just wondering because I have a sheet of it sitting in my drawer for a few months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2009, 20:39 
The Artist
The Artist

5370H55V wrote:
What version is the one that eacheng sells, that just comes in a plastic sleeve without the packaging? I'm just wondering because I have a sheet of it sitting in my drawer for a few months.

Hello and welcome to the forum, 5370 :)

The first batch sold by Eacheng just had the plastic sleeve and that was just when the rubber surfaced on the market a couple of months back. Today, Eacheng sells the rubber in the commercial blue packaging. I myself bought the rubber in the plastic sleeve only.

I suspect the first batch was given away to be tried, tested and reviewed by players all over China. It appears the Chinese manufacturers do this a lot to generate interest in forums and among players. I guess some of this batch was later sold on through Eacheng.

All I can say is that your rubber is almost certainly from that first batch.

Quote:
...I have a sheet of it sitting in my drawer for a few months.

Oh dear me, that is no place for a rubber. Set it free to sing on a blade, mate ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2009, 22:37 
The Artist
The Artist

brabhamista wrote:
charlesj wrote:

Yes, I agree so we can safely say that there is no pre-tuned version of 729-08 IMHO.

I think I have to backtrack slightly - sort of - on my previous statement. My review of 729-08 was based on the first Strongly bounce sponge which was intended for use with boosters.

The new version with the new sponge has a clearer booster-like effect and is called Strongly forward. It is not a pre-tuned sponge though, but rather a new version of the sponge. It is supported by the wording on the packaging and the new additional tech logos they have added. I have not tried this sponge yet and it may well be that it is an improvement in some areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2009, 01:22 
Super User

Blade: AfroBro Custom
FH: Rasanter R53
BH: Vega X
brabhamista wrote:
The new version with the new sponge has a clearer booster-like effect and is called Strongly forward. It is not a pre-tuned sponge though, but rather a new version of the sponge. It is supported by the wording on the packaging and the new additional tech logos they have added. I have not tried this sponge yet and it may well be that it is an improvement in some areas.

Hi all,

I've been playing with a Maze / 729-5 / 729-08 combo for a few weeks now, and I love the 08. I wanted to swap the 729-5 for another 08, so I ordered a second sheet. It arrived today, and it's a Strongly Forward one, whereas the older sheet (only a few weeks older tho!) was a Strongly Bounce.

The sponge looks the same, but who knows? I've got a training session on monday night, so I'll slap it on in place of the 729-5 and report back if anyone's interested?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2009, 01:34 
The Artist
The Artist

Hey, Andy :)

Please do report back. It will be good to hear more about the new sponge or your overall impressions of the the 729-08 for that matter.
The more we know the better the review :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2009, 02:27 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Definitely interested! :wink:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2009, 06:34 
Super User

would definitely want to try this on back hand sometimes.

soft sponge, some limited glue feel, and tacky ....

some players had been waiting for that combination for long time

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2009, 13:31 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
I like Rapid Sound for BH better than the 08... But it was limited time use/comparison... Will compare more later...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2009, 19:13 
Super User

Blade: AfroBro Custom
FH: Rasanter R53
BH: Vega X
Righty-ho. So I tried the following combo:

Maze FL
2.1 729-08 Red Strongly Bounce
2.1 729-08 Black Strongly Forward

I still love the 08 as a whole, but I couldn't see much difference between the two different versions. I expected the usual chinese thing of the black being tackier than the red, but even that wasn;t the case! I tried various different drills, and it all seemed the same to me, so any differences must be very minor.

So overall, faster and more spin than 729-5, but nowhere near the speed of the latest SGE rubbers like Tenergy or Express. If you want an upgrade from older versions of 729 then 08 is great, but it's not a match for a speed glued 729 or Hurricane. If you don't care about tuning then it's top stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2009, 19:02 
The Artist
The Artist

AndySmith wrote:
So overall, faster and more spin than 729-5, but nowhere near the speed of the latest SGE rubbers like Tenergy or Express. If you want an upgrade from older versions of 729 then 08 is great, but it's not a match for a speed glued 729 or Hurricane. If you don't care about tuning then it's top stuff.

Thanks Andy :)

Good to know that there really is not more than a miniscule difference between Bounce and Forward. At least that means that the characteristics haven't changed for the worse with the new sponge. :)

Hmm, I don't agree that 08 is faster than 729-5. I feel the 5 is significantly faster actually. 08 is however a lot spinnier than 5. It is not even a contest.
Good to get another opinion on speed though, as I think 08 is not especially fast, but certainly not slow at all either.

Post subject: 729-08
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2009, 03:49 

The Review of the 729-08 is pretty accurate even though I never tried the Venus. This is a pretty nice rubber. Faster and spinnier than that of the LKT Torrent. You mentioned not enough power at times. To fix that I would suggest that you try the new Gambler Outlaw, this gives you everything you mentioned as well as more. Great for looping, control is awesome, very responsive when you need it. Zeropong does have both of these rubbers.

Thank You

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next