OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 12:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: TSP Actor
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2007, 07:14 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
Well, I've gotten about five hours of play in with this rubber so I thought I'd post a quick review:

Appearance: very nice quality topsheet! completely non-tacky, but grips the ball quite well. The sponge is also high quality, and feels pretty soft, maybe about 35ish degrees.

Overall feel: I treated it with two layers of EE2, which gave it a pretty massive dome. The Actor has, by far, the best feeling of any non-speedglued rubber I've used . It also has the softest sponge that I've used with EE2, so it might be the synergistic effects of EE2 and a soft sponge working. The topsheet feels very responsive (a little too responsive sometimes), and I was also getting a bit of a click on cleanly hit shots.

Serving: I found serves to be acceptably spinny, but not nearly as spinny as with a tacky topsheet.

Short game: the short game takes some getting used to, but once I adjusted,pushes were easy to keep low and spinny.

Blocking: Blocking is probably this rubbers weakest area in my opinion. The responsive and grippy topsheet in conjunction with the soft sponge makes it a challenge to keep spinny loops down. However, when I do remember to angle the bat down and really cover the ball, I found the Actor was quite accurate in placing the ball where I aim it.

Looping: This is where this rubber really comes to life. I really love the feel on topspin shots both near and far from the table. There can be a ton of speed and spin, but you need to let the ball sink into the sponge a bit, because the topsheet doesn't really lend itself to brush loops.

Off the table Defense: I don't really chop very often on the forehand (with the inverted side at least) so I'm not the best judge on this but I found it to be a little lacking in control. I usually prefer to use the guided block shot that Chen Weixing and Hou Yingchao use when it comes to FH defense, and I found the Actor to excell in this area.

Overall, I would say TSP Actor is average in serving, blocking, and pushing, but excellent for looping and counterlooping, especially from mid-distance. It also performs very well without speedglue, which is not something to be taken lightly these days. :wink:

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2007, 07:31 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks a lot for the review JSK, that's excellent!

I'm still a little confused on whether this rubber is supposed to have a built in glue effect or not. The high tension term is used pretty loosely these days...

From your review is does sound a little similar to tensor rubbers like Tango and such... (which is good since I really like those :D )

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2007, 12:29 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
The description that TSP gives it claims that it has a "built in power" effect... So I think it does have a built in glue effect, but it is designed so that it can be speed glued for additional speed/spin.

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!