OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 09 May 2024, 03:47

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009, 07:47 

Ok,

being in the states. Trying to find H2 with the blue sponge is like trying to find waldo while having an seizure!

So any recommendations out there?

One of my big requirements, absolutely NO TUNED RUBBER.. NONE!

I could order the H2 blue from OOAKT but that is going to take a bit to get to me. So looking for a stop gap as my last sheet of H2 blue sponge developed a freaking bubble right smack dab in the center of the rubber.

2nd time that happens with h2. :(

How does the H3 play with the #19 sponge?

How about the Haifu BW2 UNTUNED?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2009, 07:49 

Since no one replied, I am going to guess that I am the minority that plays with H2 blue sponge..

So I will use this to keep a journal.

I bit the bullet and ordered a set of 38 degree Haifu Blue whale II UNTUNED- National version black only. I am really hoping that it plays at least similiar! Similair I can adjust to. Drastically different like the tensored stuff, no way in hell.....

I will be staying with the H2 commercial on the backhand on a Donic Carbo Senso Waldner blade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2009, 07:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Sorry, I missed this post. I'll be interested to hear how the BW II compares.

Another I was thinking is likely to be similar is the TG3 #21, which from memory also has a blue sponge, which is slightly softer than H2 blue sponge, but still quite a bit firmter compared to the #19.

DHS rubber are usually quite tough and well glue together, and it's not that common to get bubbles (unless yuo speed glue it, which I believe you don't)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2009, 08:49 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

It is common with people with big forhand :D to bubble the topsheet. Usually by counter looping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2009, 10:57 

metal monkey

lol

i doubt my forehand would do that if the H2 survives WLQ power FH! :)

But the rubbers arrived!

Havw to pick them up tommorow before league play. Yes. I am that crazy and will put a brand new set before league play.. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2009, 00:11 

alrighty then!

So yesterday was our league night.

Installed the new BW2 - UNTUNEd and a new sheet of H2. (BW2 = FH, H2 = BH).

There is an inital stickyness on the rubber, like the h2. Cleaned it a couple of times to try and tame the stickyness. Once that was done, out to hit some balls.

Description:

Haifu BW2 - UNTUNED national version (btw my friend said the chinese says something about Ocean).

Countering

Didn't change a thing stroke wise. Ball felt under control at all times and did not get the feeling that I had to tone the power some to get the ball on the table like I did with some previous "tuned" rubber (JO Platinum). Slight minor adjustments where needed for depth changes but well within the variances that I had to do with new sheets of H2-Blue Sponge (refered to as H2-BS here on out).

Looping,

Took a bit more adjustment as the stickyness was giving an artificial bite. After about 50 loops, the stickyness disappeared and was left with a H2 like feeling amazingly. I could feel the contact exceptionally well once the stickyness wore off. On the table looping was also really close the H2-BS "feel".

Serve returning,

I think this is going to be the closest to the H2-BS that I will find from a control perspective. I do have a short game and use it extensively. BW2 required the smallest of adjustments to get the serve return playing normally. Flips, off the bounce pushes, deep pushes. All felt as comfortable as doing it with the H2-BS which for me is a "where do I want to return that ball" instead of "I am going to try to place it over here" (Different state of mentality). The rubber felt under control at all times even with aggressive serve returns (flip killing etc).

Serves

As before. slight minor adjustment to get the ball low. At not time did my serves hang of the table (double bouncers) save for when I was attempting a "high risk" serve. Spinny. Not an issue. Serve control, placement, all of them remarkably close like playing the the H2-BS.

obersvations,

The BW2 topsheet is no where near as stiff as the H2 top sheet. It plays alot more like the european/Japanese tops sheets. As for the stickyness, It is sticky NOT grippy. Ie, Even after league night, it was holding the ball for 2 seconds. Brand new it was holding the ball for 15 seconds. The sponge on the other hand is definetly, 100% chinese. Which brings up a couple of curious things. Keep in mind, my BW2 is UNTUNED. I DO NOT SPEED GLUE, BOOST, etc.

So that brings up the question, I wonder if the tuner actually is killing the stickyness? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2009, 06:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Nice review, thanks figgie!

It does sound like a promising rubber!

There seems to be quite a bit of discussion on whether this rubber is tacky or not. I suspect the wide variation in opinion is because there is variation between one sheet to another... some are significantly tackier than other... this is not uncommon among some chinese rubbers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2009, 07:41 

haggisv wrote:
Nice review, thanks figgie!

It does sound like a promising rubber!

There seems to be quite a bit of discussion on whether this rubber is tacky or not. I suspect the wide variation in opinion is because there is variation between one sheet to another... some are significantly tackier than other... this is not uncommon among some chinese rubbers...

Haggis

it could be but I am thinking that it has to do more with it being tuned v not tuned. That will probably be the biggest. I have another sheet of the same stuff (BW2, 38 Deg, natl, Non-tuned). I am probably going to guess that is in fact the same stickyness as this one I put on.

I will put more impressions tommorow as I am going to go to our saturday round robin... :)