OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:06

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 14:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
iskandar taib wrote:
The truth is.. rubbers don't really differ all that much from each other. Iskandar

I've heard you mention this a few times...but that does not make it "the truth". ;)

Some players are much more sensitive to different equipment than others, and of course their style and level can make a significant difference too. I agree that there are many rubbers that play similar, but there is also a large number of rubbers that play dramatically different.

I know you like to try the cheap rubbers from the various Chinese sources (because you mention them frequently :lol: ), nothing wrong with that of course, but it's not really representative of the full range of rubbers available.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 16:51 

Blade: Yinhe T 11+
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z1
BH: Stiga Mantra H
Thanks haggisv, Iskandar, for the discussion.
Back to square one, there seems no way to improve the current state of affairs then.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 17:38 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

haggisv wrote:
I've heard you mention this a few times...but that does not make it "the truth". ;)

Some players are much more sensitive to different equipment than others, and of course their style and level can make a significant difference too. I agree that there are many rubbers that play similar, but there is also a large number of rubbers that play dramatically different.

I know you like to try the cheap rubbers from the various Chinese sources (because you mention them frequently :lol: ), nothing wrong with that of course, but it's not really representative of the full range of rubbers available.

I can't say I've tried a LOT of expensive rubbers, but I have tried so far (let's see) - Palio Macro Pro, Rasant, Rasant Turbo, Evolution MX-P, Rakza X.. and yes, you can tell them apart but I can do pretty much the same thing with all of them. Mind you, they're all quite similar (hard sponged Tensor-type rubbers). And the current bat I'm using has one of those $5 sheets of Palio Emperor Dragon on it and while I can tell the difference between it and Rakza X, it doesn't affect what shots I can make and what I can't. Blades are different - I find a great deal more difference when switching blades, those DO affect the shots, at least to a much greater extent than rubber does. I do have a sheet of Rakza 7 I will try next - going for softer sponge this time to see if it makes a difference (some people claim you get twice the spin compared to Rakza X.. True? Not true? Hyperbole? How do you measure it? :lol: ). The previous choices of expensive rubber was mainly because I wanted to see if I could find a rubber that was so fast I could NOT use it (so far, failure.. they're all fairly easy to use :lol: ).

I do accept the fact that there are others who are a lot more sensitive to rubber differences than I am - after all, why do something like 95-97% of pros (even the Chinese!) use Tenergy 05 when a lot of them are sponsored by other companies and can presumably get other brands without having to pay out of their own pockets for it? The point is that comparing rubbers IS very subjective, because the differences are subtle, so writing good, useful reviews is 1) difficult, 2) might not matter in most cases anyhow, and therefore 3) not really worth obsessing over.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2020, 04:46 

iskandar taib wrote:

Blades are different - I find a great deal more difference when switching blades, those DO affect the shots, at least to a much greater extent than rubber does.

Iskandar

I think to get standardisation you need an EJ who uses the same blade and consistent playing style to compare all the rubbers to find out the subtle differences.
Probably the most useful data would be the 'Other Playing properties' because while subject it is more binary than a sliding scale so more useful for finding uniqueness.

One thing I would add to the list is a subheading under spin for the tacky rubbers on the duration of the tackiness until it reaches say ~70% level (how long good performance last) and when it reaches say ~25% (almost all gone)