OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2009, 20:12 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Reb wrote:
Quote:
Sure debater, you can maintain it ok?

Keep it simple. If you don't post a review in this format your thread will be deleted.

And as your reply I quoted from didn't follow the format I'd start by deleting that! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2009, 20:29 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Debater wrote:
Keep it simple. If you don't post a review in this format your thread will be deleted.

I see. So you'd rather have NO info on something you are looking for if you can't have a perfect format review. I guess I'm just too grateful to find ANY info that I can! :shock: :lol: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2009, 20:55 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Yep. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing and can develop in to a full blown EJ virus supported by purchases based on partial or inaccurate reviews. :roll:

On a serious note, the most important factor in a review for me, is not what the reviewer has included, but how much I trust the reviewers judgement. If I want more information because the review doesn't cover the aspects I'm interested in, I'll either post a question or contact the forum member direct...as you well know Reb - and the tenergy 2.1mm is looking very tempting, but I must resist :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2009, 22:21 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Resistance is Useless! :twisted: :lol: :lol:

With respect to what you said though, I agree that trusting the reviewers judgment and asking further questions is important. Which in turn means that once the initial review is done in a format that helps to corner as much info as it can first, the review then relies upon input from others or more info from the reviewer in some sort of dialogue. This is best captured in the review thread rather than in PM otherwise good info gets lost on just one person. Starting to sound like the review thread would end up being just like a "how would this rubber suit me?" type thread, but with a more organised start. Hmm, maybe those other threads hold more info than first thought? :wink:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2010, 11:05 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I'm starting to wonder if a 2nd template, with catagories of how good the rubber is for every stroke, would be useful?

For example we can describe how the rubber performs for loops, blocks, hits, etc. We can still cover the same topics, but I think in some instances this format is preferable.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2010, 11:21 
The Artist
The Artist

haggisv wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if a 2nd template, with catagories of how good the rubber is for every stroke, would be useful?

For example we can describe how the rubber performs for loops, blocks, hits, etc. We can still cover the same topics, but I think in some instances this format is preferable.

Maybe have a look at the proforma for the shortpips? It is a little more detailed and could serve as a good guideline.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7926

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2014, 22:47 

@haggisv,

You should add weight of the rubber into the template. This should be the weight of the uncut sheet and provide the xy dimensions of it. This way, you can quantify how much weight you will expect to add to you blade by using the (weight of sheet / uncut sheet dimensions) x dimensions of blade.

Another thing too, so that the review is more comparable, I would advise that the reviewer provide a list of other rubbers that they have used (current and past). This allows readers to gauge how much experience the user has with other rubbers.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 11:23 

Blade: Yinhe T 11+
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z1
BH: Stiga Mantra H
HitHitHit wrote:
@haggisv,

You should add weight of the rubber into the template. This should be the weight of the uncut sheet and provide the xy dimensions of it. This way, you can quantify how much weight you will expect to add to you blade by using the (weight of sheet / uncut sheet dimensions) x dimensions of blade.

Another thing too, so that the review is more comparable, I would advise that the reviewer provide a list of other rubbers that they have used (current and past). This allows readers to gauge how much experience the user has with other rubbers.

Agree that all factual details of the rubbers should be stated, such as weight, dimensions and even the ITTF numbers. (Last night, I struggled for 2 hours to determine a piece of rubber from only the available ITTF number) The manufacturers do not state these factual details themselves. I wonder why? So we must help ourselves then. The blade used also determines the characteristics. It would be good to state the blade used for the review.

Other properties such as speed, spin, control, throw angle ... cannot be measured in absolute terms. It is largely dependant on the skill and experience of the reviewer. It is relevant to know about the reviewer's level of play.

Where is this list of reviews kept? Was it converted to a database for comparison purposes?

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 13:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

lionto wrote:
Where is this list of reviews kept? Was it converted to a database for comparison purposes?

Although the idea of a proforma is good and useful, very few people actually use it. We don't want to force people to use it for reviews here, because it takes a lot of time and effort, and not everyone is able or willing. In the end, any information about a piece of equipment is better than none, and discussions about a piece of equipment usually reveals more information anyway.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 13:37 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

What was the name of that website - tabletennisdb.com? I can't find it any more, maybe it's defunct. I think back then everyone was inspired to set up a crowdsourced database like they had, so the idea was to set up something that could be organized, and comparisons easily made. I soon learned not to take the reviews on that website too seriously - there were some real poets and imaginative people posting there. I mean, THIS rubber was great for looping, not so great for blocking, THAT rubber was rated 8.0 for blocking and only 3.0 for looping, etc., when you actually bought those rubbers you find you can't really tell the difference between them.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 17:14 

It is now revspin.net, no more tabletennisDB

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 17:27 

iskandar taib wrote:
... I soon learned not to take the reviews on that website too seriously - there were some real poets and imaginative people posting there. I mean, THIS rubber was great for looping, not so great for blocking, THAT rubber was rated 8.0 for blocking and only 3.0 for looping, etc., when you actually bought those rubbers you find you can't really tell the difference between them.. :lol:

Iskandar

Exactly. But it still serves a purpose especially when you have NOTHING available to base on.
Can't rely your selection decision to be based solely on:
1) The manufacturer's description
2) Forum discussions
3) Websites and Youtube articles
4) Salesman's advice
The only reliable source would be skill and experienced players who had used the equipment previously. But that is rarely available.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 17:34 

haggisv wrote:
lionto wrote:

Although the idea of a proforma is good and useful, very few people actually use it. We don't want to force people to use it for reviews here, because it takes a lot of time and effort, and not everyone is able or willing. In the end, any information about a piece of equipment is better than none, and discussions about a piece of equipment usually reveals more information anyway.

Perhaps the reviews are not accurate and therefore not as reliable.
If they are I am sure lots of players would refer to it.

Because the characteristics are so subjective, would comparable readings rather than absolute readings be better?

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018, 18:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I think a discussion is usually more useful compared to a review...and reviews on forums usually do turn into discussions, which is great.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 13:11 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

lionto wrote:
Exactly. But it still serves a purpose especially when you have NOTHING available to base on.
Can't rely your selection decision to be based solely on:
1) The manufacturer's description
2) Forum discussions
3) Websites and Youtube articles
4) Salesman's advice
The only reliable source would be skill and experienced players who had used the equipment previously. But that is rarely available.

The problem is that a lot of those descriptions you find online were pretty close to worthless. Actually, if you think about it, for the most part, it is exactly the above four things that we have to base our selections on. And to be honest, most manufacturer descriptions are worthless for brand-to-brand comparisons, and a lot of forum discussions and YouTube videos are way too vague to be of any use. Salesmen are actually fairly good sources of information, since a lot of them ARE players, then again, even if they're very high level players they'd have their own preferences (which are, by definition, biased.. :lol: ). The best detailed descriptions I've found, actually, are on vendor websites (in particular tabletennis11.com).

The truth is.. rubbers don't really differ all that much from each other. Especially Chinese ones. Differences are subtle, not glaring, and in the end you'll end up playing the same anyway. There ISN'T one special rubber for any given player, there is actually a large group of rubbers that that player would be able to use with equal effect. I buy different rubbers not because I think the next sheet will be better for me, but because I'm curious about what people see in them (and usually, I find exactly the same thing as the previous sheet, even if the new one is slightly faster or slightly slower). So in the end, reviews are of limited value anyway and it's no use getting worked up over the lack of reliable ones. In any case, having nothing is better than bad reviews.. :lol:

Iskandar