OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2007, 06:47 

Silke:How long did Bryce FX last,
Was it not really spinny i have heard from others it is very spinny and good for looping?

Many Thanks.....asr1990

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2007, 11:10 

Arrrgh Bryce, Bryce…so persistent. Why? Ok here’s my storey why I don’t find Bryce/Bryce FX to be a notably spinney rubber.

Just recently I got handed week old sheets of Bryce, tried it, and ripped it off. Yes the speed is there but as for exceptional spin & feeling……………………well?………………………waiting……………………………………oh there it is.

I can get reasonable spin with Bryce FX but it’s not enough for me. The level of spin generated by a new sheet of H3 is the kind of rotation I’m looking for (mmm…did I just say that?).

Ring ring…"Hello DHS, I’d like one fast, 35 deg. soft sponge sheet of H3 please and make it a National version."
"Um, I sorry we don’t do soft...it only comes in boot leather." Click…

My sheets of Bryce FX probably lasted about 2 months maximum. Same as all the other short lived rubbers really.

Bryce in da club
Playing against the plethora of Bryce users at club level its like “hello…is there any spin there?” Nope, no spin…but check out my wheels…er rubber…I’ve got Bryce on my bat!

Let’s go to Germany
Hi, what do you use junior? “Bryce with Timo Boll Spirit.” And me, and me, and me too. “Timo Boll’s our hero”. Mmm yes I can see that. He’s sponsored by Butterfly.
Training with the best up and coming juniors they get good to average spin with Bryce, have outstanding control (considering what they’re using) and great technique. They’re beating me on quality and pace of shot…the quick little buggers. Oh well…time to fall back and beat their defenders instead…which I did.

Then there’s the black sheep of the flock. He has a prosthetic leg but moves around the court like it’s a real one. His control is superb with a great click off the bat. I can just tell he’s using soft sponge rubber. His shots (topspins) keep coming over slower than expected then explode off the table with bombastic spin. My timing is thrown out and I lose. Whatever he’s using I love it already. Mmm…Joola Energy with Green Power technology (both sides)…got to get me some of that. Hence my order for Joola Energy X-TRA (a new improved and softer version...you can order it from Dandoy).

David and Goliath
Ok, what happens when David (er that’s me) faces Goliath (top 20 level players in Australia) in mortal combat?

Chamara Fernando – Bryce user. Average spin
For a high level player the spin generation with this rubber is average

Danny Semmler – Bryce user. Getting warmer
He gets good spin from this rubber - on serves and backhand loop in particular. Damn it…another short backspin serve I hit into the net. Ok, ok the serve was hidden but just how does he get so much service backspin with that rubber?

Mark Smythe - Bryce user. Bingo…spin has left the building
Mark gets excellent spin from this rubber. Serves, loops, pushes are all spinney. It has to be coming from technique…great hand/bat speed.

David Powell – Bryce FX user. Yep…he seems to get ample spin with this rubber

Russell Lavale – Yasaka Mark V user. Ugh…this rubber is so Plain Jane in my hands! Ok then how come Russell generates fantastic spin with it (and seemingly David Zalcberg also). Wish I knew…again it has to be coming from technique.

There you go…if you play like Mark Smythe then yes Bryce rules and has great spin! If you play like me then…next rubber please.

Last edited by silke on 14 Jul 2007, 18:35, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2007, 11:24 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Hi silke,
Where did you see the Energy GP XT?
I use the Energy with EEII on a fast bat. It is very spinny but would like to try the other version you are talking about. I checked my usual sources and don't see it yet.
Thanks
:)

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2007, 11:46 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Dandoy has it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2007, 12:10 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Thank you Silver,

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2007, 01:30 

I tested the following this week - all with speed glue and max sponge.

Juic 999 Elite Ultima - spin seems to be its best feature…which meets the design intent
792 Focus III - one of the better rubbers from 729
DHS Dipper II - similar but probably not as good as 729 Focus III

All have medium-soft sponge...noticeably harder than Tibhar Nimbus Soft. Overall they're not bad rubbers but none compared to Tibhar Nimbus Soft for control and sound/feedback. Yes this rubber has turned me into a "click addict".

It's interesting how one's opinions change over time. 6 months ago I thought 792 Focus III and DHS Dipper II were usable rubbers (not great, but ok). Then once you find something better the rubbers you previously used now seem ordinary. All going well one of the Butterfly Solcion, Andro Impuls Speed or Joola Energy X-TRA rubbers on order will be better again or conversely none of them will be better thus cementing Tibhar Nimbus Soft as the rubber I need to stick with for a decent amount of time (like a year). Coaches definitely are not impressed by frequent equipment changes.

I was wrong about Tibhar Nimbus Soft not needing speed glue. Today proved speed glue noticably improved speed and spin to a desired level even though this rubber has built in speed glue effect!

Rubbers I've tried from One of a Kind Trading with similarly soft sponge are "Friendship 729 LKT Pro XT" and "Dawei SPRUNGFEDER G3 A" but these rubbers really do have sponge with a mushy feel...not so good though the LKT Pro XT was reasonable.

If haggisv can directly feel the sponge of "LKT Torrent" in the coming weeks and confirm it is as soft as LKT Pro XT and a tad faster then I’d be tempted to buy a sheet but from other forum comments it seems to be more Medium Soft - probably similar in hardness to 792 Focus III and DHS Dipper II.

Post subject: nimbus
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2007, 18:18 

good price in ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Table-Tennis-Ping-P ... dZViewItem

Post subject: I don't think so...
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2007, 22:12 

I don't think so...on so many levels that I won't take the time to list reasons here. Though I do have to give "peter4487" credit for the use of table tennis forums for targeted marketing of their (legitimate?) eBay sale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2007, 04:06 

HI Silke,
I was wondering whether or not you could post a video of yourself playing so we could have a look at your technique,
I know the areas that can be helpful and detrimental when generating spin and pace on the ball as i was coached by some very good players/coaches in the UK,

Many Thanks.....asr1990

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2007, 08:33 
Dreamshaker

Hey Silke are you that bald headed dude that plays at Narre Warren?

Are you David Powell?

Post subject: The will to win
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2007, 09:46 

It would be nice to have David Powell's playing ability but no I can't claim that. I might train like a national level player but I'm still trying to get past the second highest grade at club level. Note that David Powell uses Bryce FX and no doubt uses a Butterfly blade as well (he's sponsored by Butterfly Australia).

Never been to Narre Warren venue but speaking to players who do it's a fairly tough completion with prize money for leading player in first grade. Chamara Fernando would have won it in the opening season but missed a few weeks so from memory Danny Semmler won it.

Thanks for the offer of video analysis asr1990! I'd post a video but sadly don't have one. I've known for a long time the value of video for analysis of matches and technique and really need to buy a handycam. The cost isn't an issue and the benefits could be huge so I really have to question why I stubbornly resist buying one. Damn it...go to Sony at lunch time and buy that 1080p handycam today!

The other thing is how do you improve technique? Shadow play in a mirror can help to see what you've doing. Repetition is needed...you have to hone the shot by playing it several thousand times using the right technique. Use coaches, video and fellow players to assess your technique. Use mental imagery, positive reinforcement (verbal or inner voice) and watch videos of top players.
From coach feedback I can tell you in detail all the corrections needed to improve my technique. Knowing is a good start but it doesn't seem to be enough. People learn best in different ways (by seeing, by hearing, by doing etc.) and maybe self video is the shock to the system needed to see the difference between how one THINKS they're playing and how they REALLY play.

In Germany a coach talked about the four components of Table Tennis...TECHNIQUE, TACTICAL, PHYSICAL and MENTAL. It was all very zennish with mental being the most important and encompassing everything else. He used a recent example at the worlds where Wang Liqin fought back and won against Ma Lin. Both players have superb TECHNIQUE, TACTICAL and PHYSICAL ability but mentally Wang Liqin was stronger ON THE DAY. A small change in tactics and a refusal to give up turned the game around.

Mental power really does work...the leading player in my grade swept aside all before him and beat me many times. In our second last encounter I just won 12-10 in the fifth in a tournament singles final. That told me I could beat him. Then in our last pennant encounter I was determined to win for several days beforehand...come match time I literally smashed him 3-0. I might not beat him again but that night the will to win proved unstoppable!

This Sports Psychology Mind Tools website (http://www.mindtools.com/page11.html) has great info that can be applied to Table Tennis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2007, 10:34 
Dreamshaker

David Powell has a super block. He is very talented. Rafael Lay could beat anyone if he wanted to :lol: :D . Yeah it was a good comp. I played on that same night in 3rd grade. One of the top players but 2nd grade was pretty darn strong. I might have taken some games but would have lost most. That top grade for prize money is strong as. I'd struggle to get a couple of points :lol: . Maybe on my serve *shrug* :D.

Where in Vic do you play Silke?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2007, 17:07 

Just deviating back on topic for a second, then back to the Bryce discussion (one of the more overrated rubbers in my opinion, if you have the technique and experience then use it, but beginners should stay away).

Silke, have you tried any of these rubbers?

Donic Gaillardo Sound
Joola Echo
Andro C.O.R Emotion
Tibhar Rapid Soft
Stiga Neos Sound ??

I'm a player that prefers to use softer sponge rubbers with a high amount of topspin for mid-far distance looping and all the above rubbers have been pretty good.

In terms of topspin loops, the spin you can generate with the Gaillardo sound and the Neos sound is incredible, aim your loops about 4 feet above the net from mid-far distance and they will drop in easily with great kick.

The trouble with good soft sponge rubbers is that they tend to require speed gluing to get the best out of them, which is the case with all the above rubbers. However, if you have no problems with gluing all the time (soft sponge rubbers are a pain to peel though) then I would recommend trying at least the Gaillardo and Neos sound rubbers. And both these rubbers glued up will definitely turn you into a mega 'click' addict!!

If you're looking at using pre-glued / tensioned type rubbers then a great one with a soft feel is Donic Desto F2. It has a reputation as being one of the rubbers that is most similar to a speedglued rubber, though it doesn't quite have the extra kick a glued rubber has (but it's the best 'non-glue' soft rubber I have tried). Andro Plasma 380 has good reviews but it was a little too slow and dead for me, not quite up to the speed glue feel I like.

I am looking to try Tibhar Nimbus and Joola Energy Green Power at some stage, but the next rubbers I will be purchasing will be the 35 degree versions of Inspirit Quattro, seeing that it's 1) Cheaper than the other 2, and 2) Been getting some pretty good reviews.

Anyway, back to the Bryce discussion, sorry for the long interlude guys :P

BH: Inspirit Quattro 39deg
FH: Inspirit Quattro 42deg
Blade: Andro Supercore Off- / Gambler Black Diamond Balsa Texalium Off+

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2007, 17:36 
Dreamshaker

RITC 729 Supersoft fx el is not bad soft sponged when worn in with a few glues. Silver you didn't mind that rubber yeah? Got lots of control and can spin quite allright.

I prefer that rubber much more over Joola Tango. Both soft rubbers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2007, 17:43 
Dreamshaker

Actually I tried a very old worn out Butterfly Tacky C soft (along those lines) :D . Now that was quite allright for looping. Felt and played better than Bryce for me but then again I am far from high level player. I've played people using Bryce who play some ripping shots...

Butterfly Tacky Soft...whack that in. Actually you might like that going by your description on soft looping rubber...

It wasn't wild like Bryce can be... had control and feel as you kinda get from Chinese rubbers but also had a real Butterfly/Jap feel to it... Very spinny loops and loop drives...

Mind you it was well worn and old. If it had more of that fresh new feel and tack, would be much nicer I imagine...