OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:07

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2007, 22:49 

Hi Guys,

A quick qs for a friend. I have always thought H2 would be a more popular and a better(?) rubber than H3.

But from a list of pro player's equipment, and I have found there are more players using H3 than only just WangLQ using H2 on the FH.

All I know is H3 has a higher throw angle compares to H2, so what other reasons that you know of that makes H3 a moe popular option for pro players over H2 and other rubbers?

Players using/used H3: Guo Yue, ZHANG YINING, Wang Nan, Hao Shuai, Qiu Yike, Zhan YAna, ChenQi, Liu GuoZheng, Guo Yan, Ding Song, Li Jia, Li Nan, Tang Peng,,,, (the list goes on)

Players using H2: Wang LiQin & Yan Seng

Your inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
H

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2007, 22:57 
I am Legend
I am Legend

At a guess, the majority of players using H3 tend towards quick attack and close to the table.

WLQ spends more time away from the table than close to it. He's also more or less the only one who appears to tend towards counterloop rallies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2007, 23:15 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Do they supply the same sponges for H2/H3 and they only differ in the topsheet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2007, 23:41 

Thx for the quick response.

Plz correct me if I am wrong, but wouldnt the "higher throw" angle be less effective compares to a lower throw angle rubber?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2007, 23:48 
Super User

Not really. The differences in throws are generally minor. Also, you often need to have a rubber with a higher throw to balance out a lower throw blade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2007, 23:55 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I have no idea about the sponges, if we're talking what the national team gets. I would say that each player has the sponge tailored to what they want.

The commercial versions appear to have the same sponge, though I may be wrong.

The throw angle doesn't really make a rubber more or less effective than another. It really just allows the player to use different technique and style. For example, an over the table fast attacker may choose a higher throw angle rubber to allow a shorter movement & safer attack. Conversely, a mid/long loop/counterloop player may choose a low throw rubber as they have more time to complete a full swing, or if they prefer a block to go more foward giving less time to set up a counterloop.

This doesn't always hold true though, and it does depend on the player and their personal preferences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2007, 09:22 
Rubber Killer!

The Majority of the Entire National team uses H3 and Globe999. Rarely do any of them stray away from these. I think their FH techniques are built around these rubbers.

H3 does have a higher throw so, close to the table attackers can attack with a higher arc allowing better consistency. H2 has a lower arc which means shots produced with this rubber will have much more force behind them. Its like comparing a basketball shoot attempt against a soccer kick. Each can't do what the other one can but are good at their own games.

Each provincial/National player does have their rubbers tailor made. I think the H3 Special topsheet is consistent through all the players but the sponge varies widely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2007, 12:02 

once again, thx guys for the response, and for understanding my stupid qs - since I didnt complete it :x

Yes, my qs was wouldnt higher throw angle rubber be less effective in a close to table drive, counter drive style compares to a lower throw rubber.

But by looking at the list, Guo Yue, ZHang YIning, Zhan Yana, and even HaoSHuai - they all have a rather close to table drive, counter drive game.

Hence, the qs, and thanks Lawocg for your explanations.

ANyone else got inputs?

Cheers,
H

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2007, 09:34 

LawOCG wrote:
I think their FH techniques are built around these rubbers.

That's interesting. So from a player development point of view. Does it mean that once a player has developed his/her technique that they then tend to select a certain equipment and work out techniques that work best with the equipment?

The reason I ask is because I strongly believe that tactics need good-solid technique. Which means if you're developing your techinque to a particular equipment, it could mean that you may need to change your tactics.

Also, applying the same tactics to different equipment will not work either.

Kinda makes sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2007, 10:13 
Rubber Killer!

gundam wrote:

That's interesting. So from a player development point of view. Does it mean that once a player has developed his/her technique that they then tend to select a certain equipment and work out techniques that work best with the equipment?

The reason I ask is because I strongly believe that tactics need good-solid technique. Which means if you're developing your techinque to a particular equipment, it could mean that you may need to change your tactics.

Also, applying the same tactics to different equipment will not work either.

Kinda makes sense.

I believe the Chinese are heavily dependent on hard and tacky rubbers for their style of play. Rarely do you ever see Chinese with Jap/Euro equipment on the FH. From the videos I have seen, many youngsters in China start off with cheap Chinese rubbers like 729 and as they progress and move up the ranks they begin to tune their equipment as well.

To say that their techniques are developed depending on the Equipment is incorrect. What I was trying to say was that their techniques go hand in hand with tacky rubbers. Now a days equipment is being produced for the players, not the other way around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2007, 16:53 
Dreamshaker

With the commercial H2 and H3, they are diff DHS sponges. One has the DHS #20 sponge, the other has the DHS #22 sponge. Both orange. The H2 has the faster sponge. More catapult/speed in it.

H2 is thicker, firmer, harder. The arc is low but requires more energy to put spin into it. Wang Liqin at the table attacks the ball. The other Chinese players will find it easier to loop with the softer, thinner sheeted H3 so to speak. A little more food for thought...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2007, 08:03 
Super User

Good Question. I do not understand why most play H3 instead of H2. I dont even understand why MA Lin plays (or: played) Bryce on his BH, beause there is so much difference in feeling between Bryce and China-rubbers like H3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2007, 09:06 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Klaus123 wrote:
I dont even understand why MA Lin plays (or: played) Bryce on his BH, beause there is so much difference in feeling between Bryce and China-rubbers like H3.

his backhand isn't identical to his forehand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2007, 22:44 

I think RPB - tends to be very wrist orientated and quite snappy and often perform closer to table with a very small - quick motion - this somehow works well with E/J rubbers.

1 extra point I found while testing RPB using Euro rubber vs Chinese rubber - The E/J rubber tends to repel the ball with a more forward momentum than Chinese rubber in a small quick motion.

Thats probably why, but Ma LIn & Wang Hao uses Bryce/Sriver EL - and if Wang Hao uses sriver EL on his BH, then there must be some good reason to it since he's the king of RPB.

H

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2007, 23:49 
Super User

The way I learned to use RPB is with a relaxed, but mostly unmoving wrist, using the forearm in a medium fast up/forward sweep, catching the ball just as it passes over the edge of the table and throwing it back with a little increase in speed in the forearm swing. I can do this effective either with soft sponge euros, or tacky rubbers, though I prefer the feeling of the former.