OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 09:12 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
This video was brought to my attention by someone who contacted me on YouTube. It's from the liha championship at ultra oct 31 2008 in the Philippines. Although I've embedded the video, if you watch this on YouTube you'll also get the chance to read some of the comments which are very interesting and give a good background as to the popularity of using sandpaper along with some information on the techniques involved.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 12:45 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Yes I learnt with a sandpaper bat , there is nothing like it for the top of the ball smack, but great Vid those boys seem to be able to do every type of shot

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009, 00:08 
Super User

So can you just use regular sand paper? Glued on with regular glue?

I'd love to give this a try.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009, 05:29 

I believe so wfberkhof. I made one out of 729 bomb blade and 160 ply purple sandpaper just for kicks. You can definitely give the ball a good smack.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009, 07:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I've never seen purple sandpaper :shock:

I would expect the balls won;t last that long with sandpaper either, perhaps they were made much tougher in those days?

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009, 19:47 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I know the don't worry about the hieght of the serve (just top spin from thier hands) but both players would hold the table sometimes when they attacked, I wonder if it's aloud?

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009, 20:06 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

rodderz wrote:
I know the don't worry about the hieght of the serve (just top spin from thier hands) but both players would hold the table sometimes when they attacked, I wonder if it's aloud?

backhandguru was the person on youtube who contacted me about these championships and videos. He was very well involved with it in the Phillippines. He told me there was supposed to be no spin put on the ball in their rules. The serve was just to get it in play. If you didn't like the serve you were receiving because you thought it had too much spin on, you could catch the ball and throw it back to the opponent to do it again.

This link has more information on "liha" table tennis

http://www.tatapx.org/2008/11/08/the-wo ... -on-earth/

wfberkhof wrote:

Don't know but this is a Phillipines TTA website which includes a section dedicated to liha. Someone there might be able to help you.

http://www.tatapx.org/tag/liha/

Yuzuki might be able to provide more information?

Enjoy.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 05:14 
Super User

Well I gave it a go. I bought some cheap sandpaper (15 sheets for one euro...beat that Butterfly!) and glued them to a frame.

And I have to say it plays surprisingly well! Compared to standard inverted rubbers you can still play all strokes though of course any topspin needs to hit more than brushed, but you certainly can get a decent top spin out of it. Choping and pushing works great as well.

The one drawback is that you really do damage the balls with the sandpaper, so best to only use cheap trainingballs. :D

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 07:56 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

speedplay wrote:
Third, on a couple of occasions, the server made the serve, the other guy returned it and the server grabbed it with his hand and begun over with a new serve. What was that about? On one occasion, I noticed that the receiver had raise his hand to say he wasn't ready, but on the other occasions, I didn't see any signs of that, so I'm wondering what the heck they were doing?

In this form of table tennis (liha table tennis) I was told the serve was just to get it the ball in play. If you didn't like the serve you were receiving because you thought it had too much spin on, you could catch the ball and throw it back to the opponent to do it again.

speedplay wrote:
Second, I didn't notice a single bh attack, any reason for this?

Very good question. Absolutely no idea! :oops:

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 08:40 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Oh, the thread became pretty long before I spotted it! :lol:

First up, the comments on the Youtube vid says that one of the players is Richard Gonzales. If I recall correctly, we have posts around the forum, I think we discussed about him and his two-wing anti bat?

I can't seem to recall the grit of the sandpaper used. Perhaps 120 grit? Any glue, it's not like there's a speedglue effect there. :lol:

And no, I have no inkling what different sandpaper grits and brands (finishing? wet and dry?) do to the ball. Just get the sandpaper and play, nevermind the equipment.

IIRC, it has to be a all-wood bat. I think the better ones were closer to hardbat blades, ball feeling is important because of no sponge.

I think they also moved on to the 40mm ball, it's rather hard to get 38mm balls now. Balls get eaten up pretty fast -- I tried playing against one player with my regular bat, and the resulting ball, well, cracked later during the regular drills.

backhandguru (Coach Jet Yatco, may he rest in peace) is a well-known coach here in the Philippines, as he was one of the national players in the 1980's. I think he adopted that screen name because his specialty is the backhand -- amazing backhand topspin attack flexibility; he was coached into it by the Chinese national team way back then. :)

Regarding the hand-on-table and service 'return' :lol: , these rules are relaxed to promote fun (a hand on the table gives an evil smackdown, yeah) and more rallying (service being replayed is similar to hardbat, I believe?). Debater has them right.

Perhaps for both of these players, the backhand attack is not their consistent forte. The local club player who loves playing with his sandpaper bat certainly has a backhand attack, similar to a strong topspin drive.

Perhaps they both find it easier to attack with their forehand strongly and defend with their backhand? It's a simpler game system. The ball bounce seems to allow for it. A good defense allows for one to change the initiative of play.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 18:57 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

speedplay wrote:
Yuzuki, you might be right, it might simple be the preferences of these players, I was just wondering if it perhaps was something about the rules, or if sandpaper bat made it that much harder to attack with the bh.

Now that part is debatable -- it might be similar to Tatlwai's backhand attack. It's rather rare to find someone like tat, who likes using his Long A for attacking, and doing it consistently. Close to the table, I think, is part of it.

So far, I am not aware of any special rules for the backhand.

I think the backhand stroke mechanics, as you said, may have something to do with it.