OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 08:24

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2010, 10:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Kudos
Excellent rubber sheets, both.

Hit, chop, chop block, chisel all were readily available from either variant. I don't believe that the play was particularly colour dependent.

Both sheets have a textured backing in lieu of a textile type backing. Both were easily adhered with rubber cement. Trying to attach them with non=VOC glue (Tulpe) didn't work well.

I have C2 in Red and CF in Black. Both sheets were large enough to fit on my huge, 3 ply shovel shaped, hardbat, blade.
Each sheet is seven inches by seven inches. I will let you metricians figure the metric equivalents for your self:)

Each sheet weighed in c. 22 grams, on my scale. Cut weight, due to the size of the blade brought, the weight down to slightly less than 19. I weighed the rubber cut and the cut=off and for some reason they didn't add up to the exact weight of the uncut sheet. might be time to get a better scale.

I figured the CF would be the logical choice for blocking for me, but the C2 proved to be more malleable in my gnarled and arthritis plagued hands. The C2, for me, proved to be more forgiving.

In my ill spent youth I was a retriever with a decent forehand and backhand chop, and while my legs no longer allow me to freely range to and fro with the required agility, I found that I could still easily keep the ball the low with significant backspin against hardbat and sponge players, from either side three to six feet off the table. I did chop some from ten feet, but the lack of success can more easily be attributed to my poor ability than the rubber. One regular chopper loved the CF for his barrier ranging chops.

The power hitter in the crowd liked the C2. He was using more modern style strokes. The C2 was not my choice for hitting. I had trouble bringing the ball down where I wanted it. It did have a nice skid on some shots, again attributable to my shot production, no doubt.

The C2 imparted less spin, but was also less effected by it.

I could use traditional convex shaped hardbat style strokes against top or back spin easily and more modern strokes worked particularly well with the CF against incoming tops spin, but less against back spin. I attribute this to improper bat angle, more time with the rubber would likely provide relief from the problem.

The C2 proved to be the better for hitting against chop with the modern style strokes.

The C2 marginally won out in the flat hitting category.

I have an all-round hardbattie whom I wish to have try the rubber, but might not see him for a couple of weeks. He does a superb job of moving between offense and defense and has a devastating forehand kill shot. His smash reminds me very much of Kjell Johansson's style.

More news as I have a chance to further test drive these two marvelous vehicles, your mileage may vary. I do have one thing to mention, I have bats with "classic" rubber from Hock, Barna/Dunlop and a couple of others of a similar ilk and this rubber is not a duplicate of any. I think both of these are really great rubber sheets, but likely would be dismissed out of hand by the purists.

Thanks for the opportunity to these sheets of rubber.
tOD

Post subject: Re: CF/C2 Review
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2010, 10:49 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
fantastic review, thanks theOldDuffer!