OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 10 Apr 2024, 15:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Valor Premier Review
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2011, 10:23 
Hard Justice

I got a couple sheets of this in a few weeks ago, so I figured I may as well post a review despite the lack of hardbat players/interest here.

First Impressions: I got the cloth-backed version, which IMO is definitely an improvement over pure rubber since it's easier to smooth out over the blade face and won't bunch up or bubble underneath. In this case, the cloth underneath the rubber is covered by yet another slightly textured layer of rubber, so the cloth is basically to add consistency to the sheet and to completely prevent the rubber from stretching or going on uneven during application.

The pips are middling width and comparable to Leyland and Barna, which is definitely narrower than most modern SP rubbers, but wider than what you would see on most medium and long pips. The pips are smooth on top, and the logo also has a clean and attractive design. Alberto also shipped promptly and provided tracking.

Strengths: Apart from the cloth backing, I'd say this rubber's major strength is that it doesn't try to be something it's not. Unlike Butterfly Orthodox, Yasaka Cobalt, and most major companies who try to make their 'hardbat rubber' soft and spinny enough to compete with other SPs on the market (while lacking the proper sponge to utilize it as adequately), Valor's design is classic and proud of it.

It's very much an all-around rubber. It doesn't have any strange effects like Andro Classic, doesn't have quality control issues like Dr. Evil, and doesn't try to mimic modern rubbers like Butterfly and Yasaka; there really wasn't anything I wasn't able to do and I eased into using it on the very first night of play.

The area it particularly excels at in comparison to other hardbat rubbers is blocking: my blocks were so consistent and low to the net that at one point my opponent used the Lord's name in vain after losing a third loop/block war. Butterfly Orthodox in particular has too much spin and not enough dwell for control to be good at this. Too much spin can become a liability when there isn't enough dwell time, which will make the ball pop up, but won't give it any topspin to make it drop.

Weaknesses: Being an all-around rubber means that it doesn't particularly wow you in any one area; it's like a jack of all trades but a master of none. And though it doesn't relate to play, I'd also say the price is a weakness, since at $24 USD per sheet, it's the most expensive hardbat rubber on the market, which may prevent me from using it in the future.

While a lot of control was gained in some areas, ironically, I had a heck of a time returning serves I usually have no problem with. Usually (being a full-time hardbatter), I can lift chop serves/shots quite easily and attack most underspin. With Valor, for some reason, I had to practically thrust my blade into the ceiling to do the same thing. It could be the narrower pips or some other composition of the rubber since my main rubber has about the same grip, but any shot requiring me to reverse or intensify my opponent's spin took a bit more effort, though it wasn't by any means impossible.

Strategies: Well, as a hardbat rubber, it's not geared towards any specific strategy. I'm not a chopper myself, so I can't say if it's particularly good at that or not, but it's capable of hitting, looping, blocking, and anything else you need it to do. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone serious about hardbat since it's better than most, but sponge players who just want to enter a local hardbat event will most likely stick to a lower price range, and modern defenders wanting to try it as a "backhand rubber" will be turned off by it only being approved by the USATT.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: Valor Premier Review
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 04:44 

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the review. I read it and thought I'd give you a couple of observations. The rubber is designed for the Hardbat market. As such ideally it should be used on a Hardbat blade. You did not mentioned what blade you used, which makes a huge difference in its performance. So far the rubber has performed very well at all levels of Hardbat competition. Carlos Ko using a Valor Champion blade and Premier rubber beat Trevor Runyan in the final of the 2010 US Open. Carlos does not play defense. He was able to easily flip Trevor's serves (some of the toghest in the business), block Trevor's drives, and attack at will. I use it for chopping in Hardbat and it is very steady, in conjunction with a Valor Champion blade. Several other players have used it successfully to win events at both the US Open and the Nationals in Las vegas. Yes the rubber is an alround product, and while it may not "wow" you, it has made a lot of people very happy. Like the old saying goes... You get what you pay for.

Hope you have a Happy New Year,

Alberto

FH: Valor Premier - Sponge
BH: Globe 979 LP OX
http://www.valortabletennis.com

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 07:18 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks a lot for the review abdulmuhsee! :clap:

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2011, 20:49 

Valor Premier is scheduled to be on the November list of ITTF approved rubber.
:clap: :clap:
CHEERS!

FH: Valor Premier - Sponge
BH: Globe 979 LP OX
http://www.valortabletennis.com

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2011, 21:10 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Excellent review :)

My first impression : Dizzy after lookin at the pips' pic for a while :lol:

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2011, 07:12 

gnopgnipster wrote:
CHEERS!

Great ! :up:

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2011, 12:00 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
gnopgnipster wrote:
CHEERS!

Are rubbers we have now still good or do we need to buy new ones with the ITTF logo?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2011, 21:03 

mynamenotbob wrote:
gnopgnipster wrote:
CHEERS!

Are rubbers we have now still good or do we need to buy new ones with the ITTF logo?

The ITTF logo has no more to be on the rubbers, the proof that the rubber is ITTF authorised is the last official ITTF list.