OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 08 May 2024, 18:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 02:49 

I'm entering a hardbat competition soon.
they provide bats but I was decided to make up my own so I could do some practice beforehand.

I used to use Friendship 802 short pimples on my BH, so I have a few
spare sheets. I separated a couple from the sponge (very easy to do) and glued them onto an Grubba All + blade.
this seems to produce a decent hardbat...

but I now note that 802 wouldn't be accepted by Hardbat purists-

I thought that Hardbat TT was meant to be a simpler and CHEAPER alternative...but
the approved hardbat rubbers are MORE expensive than the sponged rubbers I use!

So, why is 802 not acceptable?

http://www.murrayfieldtt.com | http://www.youtube.com/user/MurrayfieldTTC

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 02:58 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I think true hardbat rules are set by the USATT. There is a list of approved rubbers, last time I looked, about a dozen. Dr Evil was one. Dr Evil OX is about $9. :)

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 03:00 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
cje wrote:
I'm entering a hardbat competition soon.
they provide bats but I was decided to make up my own so I could do some practice beforehand.

I used to use Friendship 802 short pimples on my BH, so I have a few
spare sheets. I separated a couple from the sponge (very easy to do) and glued them onto an Grubba All + blade.
this seems to produce a decent hardbat...

but I now note that 802 wouldn't be accepted by Hardbat purists-

I thought that Hardbat TT was meant to be a simpler and CHEAPER alternative...but
the approved hardbat rubbers are MORE expensive than the sponged rubbers I use!

So, why is 802 not acceptable?

I think they deem it too spinny. Dr. Evil and Peacekeeper are inexpensive USATT approved hardbat rubbers.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 03:26 

I will dig up the list. I don't think PK is a short pip. Been a few years since I looked. :)

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 03:30 

Here you go.
Yep, PK is on there. :) I seem to remember now that PK is just Dr Evil with a thicker base sheet.
Leyland ("Hock" rubber)
Andro Classic
Butterfly Orthodox
Dunlop Barna Original
Friendship RITC "Dr Evil"
Gambler Peace Keeper OX
ATP Reisman, ATP "Leland Era"
Valor Premier
TSP Millitall
Yasaka A-1-2
Yasaka Cobalt
(note that Hallmark MagicPips became illegal after March 1, 2010)

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 09:09 

cheers
though Dr Evil would still almost as expensive as my sponge rubbers..
Also Dr Evil seems to gets lots of criticism amongst hard batters-i.e. that
it shouldn't be included on the approved list..

any thoughts on these rubbers on ebay?:
http://tinyurl.com/6ck6yzy

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 09:20 

If you enter a sancioned hardbat tourney, those would not be legal.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 09:47 

hookshot wrote:
I think true hardbat rules are set by the USATT. There is a list of approved rubbers, last time I looked, about a dozen. Dr Evil was one. Dr Evil OX is about $9. :)

True hardbat rules, yes, but only for hardbat events played in the USA. ;) In Europe, there are no official rules for the moment, generally, all short pips rubbers without sponge are authorised, and in some tournaments, bats from the same model are provided by the organisation, like in Harlow (England) or Gueux (France). I only know one event that uses the US rules, in Cervia (Italy), and maybe in Harlow for some tournaments where people can play with their own bat.
Cje, where does this hardbat tournament take place ? And where do you live in UK ?

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 11:14 

Maybe the USATT should lighten up on the rules. Then maybe there would be more hardbat tourneys here also. I have a hardbat setup but do not know anyone else.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 15:08 

The reason is because the hatemongering organizers are idiots and can't play against the 802 OX so they ban it.

Tactical Rubber: Feint Long Old 1.5....................................Divine Rubber: Dr Neubauer Pistol 2.0

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 15:45 

The original hardbat rules were drawn up so hardbat people could have a way to officially compete in hardbat events. The intension was to keep it simple and inexpensive. No carbon, no super rubbers. The reason 802 is not allowed might be it is too spinny. I do not know. The logic was to keep it like the old days and not let it get to super looping and such like double inverted. There is a small following. I was just saying it might attract more if they relaxed the rules. Why all the venom? Just because you can not use 802 in hardbat? Do you compete in hardbat? :)

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 17:29 

Sorry about all the venom. Laying off the alcohol would do me good. No, I don't compete in hard bat tournaments, nor do I plan to compete in any because of the fact that not many Aussies don't even know they exist. The second reason would be even though I believe I am a sanctioned Pips out hitter, I would still get my arse handed to me if I went to USA to compete in one. Plus, thinking about the concept of everyone going retro gives me a headache.

Tactical Rubber: Feint Long Old 1.5....................................Divine Rubber: Dr Neubauer Pistol 2.0

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 17:53 

Thanks jonnexus,
I started table tennis in the 50s with hardbat. Took me months to save money for a Hock hardbat. My Dad wrote for the USTTA and we met all the top players. We helped setup many of the top tourneys. When things went to sponge, I switched right away. I was used to seeing choppers and attackers. I enjoyed all the different styles. I know many of the top hardbat players never could make the switch to inverted/sponge. Same thing with the FLP's.

I am glad they kept hardbat as a seperate event and I would play in it if there were more players.

Since the ITTF will probably not make FLP's legal again soon, perhaps clubs could have a non-sancioned "anything goes" tourney. FLP's, glue, what ever. Might be fun. :D

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 18:00 

To me, clubs having an anything goes tourney would be crazy fun. I bet some clubs already allow this.

Well, about the FLP ban and all the other regulations, tactical players and defenders could unite some day and go on strike against the ITTF so they can have a fighting chance. Yep, in my dreams.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 19:41 

Francis wrote:
hookshot wrote:

True hardbat rules, yes, but only for hardbat events played in the USA. ;) In Europe, there are no official rules for the moment, generally, all short pips rubbers without sponge are authorised, and in some tournaments, bats from the same model are provided by the organisation, like in Harlow (England) or Gueux (France). I only know one event that uses the US rules, in Cervia (Italy), and maybe in Harlow for some tournaments where people can play with their own bat.
Cje, where does this hardbat tournament take place ? And where do you live in UK ?

it's not a specific Hardbat tournament (so I might get away with my 802 OX...) but a Hardbat event as part of
the West of Scotland Open on Jan 29th- taking place in Glasgow (I live in Edinburgh)
details and entry form here (deadline is Friday!):
http://tinyurl.com/69sl57k