OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Cloth backing or not
PostPosted: 05 May 2011, 21:57 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Some hardbat rubbers are available either with or without a cloth backing.

What are the advantages of each?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Post subject: Re: Cloth backing or not
PostPosted: 05 May 2011, 22:16 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

I'm not sure of the advantages but from my experience I think the cloth backing gives the rubber a much nicer 'feel'. I find the non-cloth backing rubber 'tinny' by comparison, if that makes any sense.

PostPosted: 05 May 2011, 23:00 

the cloth backing is also supposed to make putting them on/ taking them off a lot easier

"All your spin are belong to us!"

PostPosted: 05 May 2011, 23:34 
Hard Justice

In my experience, there isn't any significant difference between the two as far as how they play. The cloth backing is so thin as to be able to easily see the rubber underneath, and it's not there for the purpose of affecting play. I don't think there's a significant difference in feel either, but I do find, maybe subconciously, that you get a better feeling from the blade without the cloth sheet underneath.

One advantage of the cloth backing is that it makes glueing the sheet to the blade easier; it makes it so that you don't accidentally stretch part of the rubber sheet unevenly and get a skewed row of pips, or get bubbles underneath, as everyone knows can happen with OX sheets if you're not experienced at racket assembly using sheets w/o sponge.

However, I can also think of two disadvantages of the cloth backing. One being that it can start to come up around the edges and start looking like a frayed pair of blue jeans when you remove the rubber due to the glue. The quality of cloth backings vary, and IMO the Yasaka A-1 (A~1 and A~2 versions) are the highest quality, being very fine and consistent. Some cloth backings do not adhere well to the blade and tend to become detached during play; you'll notice it coming up around the edges after awhile. You can PM me if you have any questions about a specific hardbat rubber.

So in light of the above, I'd personally recommend going with the pure rubber version if you have the option, unless you feel you need help in gluing the sheet to the blade and have problems with OX sheets.

PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 07:53 

abdulmuhsee wrote:
In my experience, there isn't any significant difference between the two as far as how they play. The cloth backing is so thin as to be able to easily see the rubber underneath, and it's not there for the purpose of affecting play. I don't think there's a significant difference in feel either, but I do find, maybe subconciously, that you get a better feeling from the blade without the cloth sheet underneath.

One advantage of the cloth backing is that it makes glueing the sheet to the blade easier; it makes it so that you don't accidentally stretch part of the rubber sheet unevenly and get a skewed row of pips, or get bubbles underneath, as everyone knows can happen with OX sheets if you're not experienced at racket assembly using sheets w/o sponge.

However, I can also think of two disadvantages of the cloth backing. One being that it can start to come up around the edges and start looking like a frayed pair of blue jeans when you remove the rubber due to the glue. The quality of cloth backings vary, and IMO the Yasaka A-1 (A~1 and A~2 versions) are the highest quality, being very fine and consistent. Some cloth backings do not adhere well to the blade and tend to become detached during play; you'll notice it coming up around the edges after awhile. You can PM me if you have any questions about a specific hardbat rubber.

So in light of the above, I'd personally recommend going with the pure rubber version if you have the option, unless you feel you need help in gluing the sheet to the blade and have problems with OX sheets.

Almost ditto. Cloth backing reduces the chance of the rubber tearing when you remove it from the blade. Valor Premier CL is better than Yasaka. VP offers more control, has a better more classic sound when you hit the ball, and the rubber is of a higher quality. I also sell it!

CHEERS!

FH: Valor Premier - Sponge
BH: Globe 979 LP OX
http://www.valortabletennis.com

PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 08:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:

Hardbat rubbers with cloth backing provide a more "spongy" feel than without.... When attached with Tear Mender the backing almost feels like a very thin sponge that adds a bit of speed.

For a chopping and counter-attacking game I prefer with cloth backing. For blocking and precise hitting I prefer without, as the feeling is more "direct".

PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 09:40 

roundrobin wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:

Hardbat rubbers with cloth backing provide a more "spongy" feel than without.... When attached with Tear Mender the backing almost feels like a very thin sponge that adds a bit of speed.

For a chopping and counter-attacking game I prefer with cloth backing. For blocking and precise hitting I prefer without, as the feeling is more "direct".

Tear Mender provides the "spongy" feel not the cloth backing. Tear Mender tends to go on a little bit thicker than most other glues. For hardbat rubber cement is best. And since ITTF does not recognice hardbat, it is legal.

CHEERS!

FH: Valor Premier - Sponge
BH: Globe 979 LP OX
http://www.valortabletennis.com

PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 10:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

gnopgnipster wrote:
roundrobin wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:

Tear Mender provides the "spongy" feel not the cloth backing. Tear Mender tends to go on a little bit thicker than most other glues. For hardbat rubber cement is best. And since ITTF does not recognice hardbat, it is legal.

CHEERS!

I am sure it's not just Tear Mender. Lots of hardbatters at our club have tried pretty much everything... Loc Ngo, Adoni, Ed Ball, Che-Him Leung, Raymond Wang, myself, Dr. Le, Rudy Miranda, Tawny Banh, etc...

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!