OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Block with Hock?
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015, 23:01 

NotLikelyToLoop wrote:
I invite feed back on the following theory...about the usage of the word "control"...

Frogger on 22 Jul 2015, 09:37 described Butterfly Orthodox as a rubber with good "control" because it allows him to generate more spin relative to other hardbat rubbers.
This usage seems to be common on this forum and others.

I am starting to look for context to establish whether we are referring to "offensive control" or "defensive control".
Offensive Control would be the ability to generate spin and speed on one's own shot, i.e. Frogger's usage.
Defensive Control would be the ability to keep the ball on the table in the face of my opponent's spin and speed (I typically play with hardbat vs sponge).
It seems to me that Defensive Control would be enhanced by a rubber's spin-insensitivity and maybe even spin-reversal capability.
Slower blade speeds would contribute to Defensive Control.

Thoughts?

Also,
would a soft-feeling blade enhance Defensive Control? or Offensive Control? It depends?
Would a stiff blade enhance Defensive Control? or Offensive Control? It depends?

Whaddayu say?

I've been trying to classify the word control in to more defined measurable categories and it's very difficult.

I say you theoy above is a one way to parse the different types of control, (defense and offesive control) but there are other differntiations to be made.

I typically specify "active" and "passive" stroke control when using the word. You can have both active or passive control on Defense and you can have both active and passive control on offense.

Defensive examples:
Active control generally means the user wants to be able to spin the ball with grip to control the ball the way they want, ie If I want to put side spin on the ball and a very grippy Long Pip will do that better than a slippery one, therefore in this case the Grippy LP has more "control." OR, I don't chop and only block the ball with my LPs , I need max reversal and braking effect to keep it short on the table, in this case control is completely passive in nature. Note that both are "Defensive."

For attacking, sometimes spin insenstivity gives more "Control" to to strokes to compensate for inaccuracies in technique or to handle incoming spin better on active strokes. Even though the stroke is active, the control is passive in nature because it's about just putting the ball on the table. But people without any stroke definciencies will say control is best when the rubber has lots of spin so they can do with the ball as they please.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: Block with Hock?
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2015, 13:06 

Blade: LKT Instinct 5-ply
FH: Butterfly Orthodox OX
BH: Butterfly Orthodox OX
Thanks, Underspin.

I find your descriptions of "active control" and "passive control" helpful in understanding how one player would say
"Control is putting my own spin on the ball"
and another player might say
"Control is not being hurt by my opponent's spin".