OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:13

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2011, 15:26 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox

Open Hardbat Final: Ty Hoff vs. Adoni Maropis

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2011, 00:39 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
Thanks MNNB to post this match, interesting but kind of boring in comparison to the previous years, what happens to the previous year's players?
It is sad to see that not too many people stayed around to watch the whole thing, it is sad that at around 18 minutes, there were only 5 spectators on the stand and at around 23 minutes, the last older gentleman can't stand sitting alone anymore and left midway through the final, nobody care. :(

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2011, 05:36 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Unfortunately small crowds were the theme of the tournament this year. There were some compelling storylines in this match. Ty Hoff won this event twice in the 1990s, and was trying to do it again more than a decade later. The other player, Adoni Maropis (http://adoni-maropis.com) is actually a Hollywood actor.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2011, 07:23 
Super User

tatlwai wrote:
Thanks MNNB to post this match, interesting but kind of boring in comparison to the previous years, what happens to the previous year's players?
It is sad to see that not too many people stayed around to watch the whole thing, it is sad that at around 18 minutes, there were only 5 spectators on the stand and at around 23 minutes, the last older gentleman can't stand sitting alone anymore and left midway through the final, nobody care. :(

The match started at 9PM. It finished at about 10PM. Early on in the match I went to the tournament director's station and explained to them that the match might go very late so that they could keep the venue from turning off 3/4s of the lights as happened the night before at around 9:30PM or 9:45PM

Most of the people who stayed to watch the match were on the bleachers to the left and not in view of the camera.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2011, 07:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

tatlwai wrote:

I used to hold LATTA open hardbat round robins every Wednesday... Adoni always showed up. A really nice guy.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2011, 06:48 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I think if they picked the ball up faster then that may have reduced the game by 26 mins lol

It looked like a game of survival and well done to both players

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2011, 07:06 
Super User

rodderz wrote:
I think if they picked the ball up faster then that may have reduced the game by 26 mins lol

It looked like a game of survival and well done to both players

Adoni, the eventual winner had just won his semi-final match about 15-20 minutes earlier. That match took about 50 minutes as well. In fact, on an adjacent table the players finished their non-hardbat match at about the same time that Adoni and Jeff Johnson finished their first game (to 21, of course.)

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2011, 10:58 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

wturber wrote:
Adoni, the eventual winner had just won his semi-final match about 15-20 minutes earlier. That match took about 50 minutes as well. In fact, on an adjacent table the players finished their non-hardbat match at about the same time that Adoni and Jeff Johnson finished their first game (to 21, of course.)

How was it playing against Seemiller with a hardbat?

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2011, 11:28 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
wturber wrote:

How was it playing against Seemiller with a hardbat?

I got smoked horribly. I did a really horrible job of returning serve and just did a pretty poor job of playing overall. I did learn that I have plenty of spin and power to play against him. That wasn't the problem. My problem (other than poor service return) was that I made far too many mistakes and missed far too many shots that I should have made. In a week or so I may be able to bring myself to watch the video. I ain't looking forward to it. Actually, I struggled all tournament and never felt like I played even one match well. Everything seemed out of whack and an uphill struggle. Against sponge players I won most of the matches that I was "supposed" to win. But I did so mostly on tactics, not giving up, and a bit of luck. So facing Danny Seemiller just put me even more out of whack.

Of course, I knew I was going to be bested. But I'm disappointed that I didn't put up a better fight. The only thing I did well was that my fast crosscourt backhand serve to his forehand caught him flatfooted a number of times. So he is human. I will do better next time.