OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:56

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2012, 13:39 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
For the last two weeks in the club, I saw a new member playing with a hard bat against other members who uses normal rubbers. This new member uses Seemiller grip and blocks all the loops and hits pretty well.

I have been thinking for a while to remember to bring my hard bat to the club and play with him. Finally, I got a chance last night and did hit with him for a while after I finished my normal games with other friends using my normal setups.

Switching from normal rubbers to hard bats (Nittaku Narcus with Dr. Evil on both sides) did take a while to get use to the angle of the bat, kept hitting long and into the net and after at least half an hour of practice, I finally got the angles right and had a good rally with this new member.

Before we left, he challenged for a match and I gladly accepted, beat him 3-0 and 3-1 and it was fun although he talk to himself a lot. I don't have a forehand attack for hard bat game, using forehand pushes and chops to hang on but using my backhand flip and flat hits (kind of like using LP) to attack every blocks coming back.

Anybody know how to attack a forehand with a hard bat? Perhaps lots of practices? :)

Guess from now on I will bring my hard bat set up to the club, may not be a bad idea to play against some of the lower ranked players and practice my forehand attacks.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2012, 15:03 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Yeah Tat!!! You show 'em

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2012, 15:59 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
tatlwai wrote:
Switching from normal rubbers to hard bats (Nittaku Narcus with Dr. Evil on both sides) did take a while to get use to the angle of the bat, kept hitting long and into the net and after at least half an hour of practice, I finally got the angles right and had a good rally with this new member.

And how long did it take you to switch back to using your normal setup! :) Antipip used to play and practice with hardbat some times he would know more about using your forehand.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2012, 13:41 

tatlwai wrote:
Anybody know how to attack a forehand with a hard bat? Perhaps lots of practices? :)

Try hitting the ball as if you were making a drive with inverted rubber, but open the racket as if you were executing a flat hit. Start very slow at first concentrating on your motion and gradually pick up speed as you get comfortable with the shots. You may have to adjust the angle of the paddle slightly depending on what part of the bounce you catch it. And as you say... "Lots of practices."

FH: Valor Premier - Sponge
BH: Globe 979 LP OX
http://www.valortabletennis.com

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2012, 15:51 
Super User

As it's great fun, I love playing hard bat too sometimes. I find a sweep motion (forward and up) with open bat angle works well for me for FH attack :up: . The pops up of course are put away with a FH flat kill :D

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012, 08:12 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Tat, check out the first part of this video for ideas...

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2012, 13:14 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

My hard bat game is getting better, especially after I switch blade to LKT Toxic 5. a 5 ply wood blade that I bought from zeropong.com several years ago; rubbers are RITC Dr Evil, both sides. I have tried this Toxic 5 before with 755 and liked the pace but was not too satisfy on the forehand with inverts.

Took the new set up to the club this morning and played with a few players with ratings varied from 1500 to 1800, all using inverts. I was very surprised that finally I can hit with the forehand side and not over the table. Of course, the backhand is still effective as usual, playing just like my 755 OX, not too much difference. (For some reason, I still play red on backhand and black on forehand side; but in reality, on hard bat, it won't matter, right?)

When they looped to my forehand side, my chops were surprisingly very effective and loaded with huge down spins. When they push, that's where my back hand attack came to play, not much difference playing with LP. However, chopping against fast drive or slow loops on the back hand side still results too many pop ups, I think that is the minor difference between LP and short pips.

I am happy to have found this new set up, will most likely to play more hard bats against players up to 1850 and still be effective; above that, I am asking for trouble.

San Diego OOAK forum members, next time when you see me in the club, ask me to play you with my magic hard bat, I will definitely give you a huge surprise. Or since I am carrying two hard bats now (the other one is Milky Way one ply Hinoki with Dr Evil & Gambler Peace Keeper), you can test your hard bat skills against me. ;)

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2012, 14:07 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
A guy at my club on Thursdays plays with 802 both sides Tat, which is similar to hardbat but I think he has some sponge on them (not sure the thickness). He is a top tennis player and uses this setup so his tennis strokes can work for him. Got me wondering if you find your hardbat strokes are more "tennis-like" than "TT-like"?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2012, 14:20 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Reborn, my backhand is definitely not tennis strokes, I use the wrist too much. Now, however, the new found forehand is more like a tennis stroke, more open, straight arm, more forward and, I play open stance.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2012, 00:09 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

I finally got a chance to play hard bat with this guy in the club last night. He is about 2330 using normal rubbers, LP and smooth, defensive style but plan to play hard bat events in the coming up National tournament in Las Vegas in December. I saw him play hard bat in our weekly round robins before and beat everyone in his table, he played down at the 1850 level, everybody played smooth rubbers.

Anyway, this time, he played sand paper with me. We played 3 out of 5 games, 21 points, close games but I loss 3 - 1. My backhand is still my preferred weapon but his match experience, quick feet defensive blocking skills and fast controlled attacks won him the games.

We both had great fun, I am sure the next time he's in the club, he will look for me to play. BTW, I am currently using Hurricane King with Dr Evil on both sides. :)

Now, we have at least three players who play hard :up: bats now.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2015, 11:59 

I love hardbat. Veteran tt here. 45 experience. Don't waste your money on high priced composite blades and Tenergy rubbers unless you can train 4-5 times a week. My best tournament ever was when I used my hardbat. There are many players who simply do not know how to play hardbat players. I can even loop with hardbat with surprising spin. You don't have to spend big bucks to get a good hardbat. I just purchased a Valor American Chopper with Valor rubber and all I can say is wow! Table tennis is a game of percentages so if you want to get more balls on the table hardbat is king. :)

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2015, 12:35 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
tatlwai wrote:
Before we left, he challenged for a match and I gladly accepted, beat him 3-0 and 3-1 and it was fun although he talk to himself a lot.

Hardbat players tend to do that......... :fubar: :lol:

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2015, 00:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
Frogger wrote:
I love hardbat. Veteran tt here. 45 experience. Don't waste your money on high priced composite blades and Tenergy rubbers unless you can train 4-5 times a week. My best tournament ever was when I used my hardbat. There are many players who simply do not know how to play hardbat players. I can even loop with hardbat with surprising spin. You don't have to spend big bucks to get a good hardbat. I just purchased a Valor American Chopper with Valor rubber and all I can say is wow! Table tennis is a game of percentages so if you want to get more balls on the table hardbat is king. :)

I am quite possibly the worst hardbat player I know. I play probably 1000 USATT points lower with hardbat. This despite the fact that my highest rating was as a LP chopper. I have a good idea how to play against hardbat for for reasons I cannot explain I can't even play a decent defense game with hardbat.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2015, 07:22 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
But did you like it?

References (so I don't have to explain the cryptic comment, though I may have to be more particular with one of them): subject line & a Katey Perry song.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2015, 09:44 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Some full-time hardbatters are really good players, even better than they were with sponge. I tried it for a while and even studied video of hardbat vs. sponge matches on YouTube. Never really had much success with it though.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics