OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 11 Apr 2024, 06:57

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 00:01 

Would a thin defensive balsa blade be appropriate for hardbat or are other wood compositions preferred? Thanks!

Joe

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 05:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Hi gaijinjoe!

I played with a Donic Cayman Balsa quite a bit, and I used Friendship 799 SP OX on it for a while and did not like the feel of the blade for OX rubbers. The Donic Cayman is an ALL+ blade, so it did not give me the control that my other blades did for the OX rubber. I then tried the OX on a Gambler Kevlar DEF blade, at this was much better, with a softer feel and able to generate more spin and control.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 09:52 

Sir, thanks! I have a Gambler KV and a Toxic 3 as well as my current TSP Black Balsa 3.0. I haven't seen other posts of people using balsa for hardbat so I thought I'd ask before trying it out.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 14:31 
Super User

gaijinjoe wrote:
Would a thin defensive balsa blade be appropriate for hardbat or are other wood compositions preferred? Thanks!

Joe

Blade choice in hardbat is very personal. I know people who use very thick and fast one-ply blades. I tend to prefer using slower defensive blades. And a little known custom knifemaker, Tim Wright, makes his own balsa core blades that I know are appreciated by himself and a few others. I'm pretty sure that Jeff Johnston (U.S. hardbat player) plays with balsa blades.

My general suggestion is that you start with a five-ply all-play blade - oversized if you intend to chop. Play with it a while and go from there.

The classic American hardbat blades are well represented by the five ply and three ply Hock blades. The first is simply five equal layers of Basswood. So basically it is a larger than normal all play. The three ply is a custom made veneer that is slower and has some flex to it. It has a very good reputation for chopping. Hock never made anything much faster as far as I know. So for the classic playing style these two blades covered the range of what was commonly used. Of course, that's not to say that you might prefer something faster. Like I said, I know a very good player who prefers a fast, thick, one-ply.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2013, 09:46 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
wturber wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Jeff Johnston (U.S. hardbat player) plays with balsa blades.

Do you know what blade he uses?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2014, 18:09 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Anyone know what the old McCrossen blades were made of? My guess is they were similar to Hock's blades, but you never know. Can't say I've ever seen one come up for sale on ebay.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2015, 00:42 

Hi Iskandar,

The MacCrossen blafdes, made by John Pershing and Ed MacCrossen in Milwaukee from about the late 1930s to the early 1950s, are indeed quite rare. They are highly prized, but unlike the Hock blades, the 3-ply blades were prone to warpage.

As best I remember, the MacCrossen brothers' blades were basically 3-ply, the inner ply being probably basswood, the outer plys being birch, mahogany, spruce, ash, and possibly poplar for their less expensive blades. Some of their pre-World War II blades which were 9- and 11-ply respectively, are extremely rare and quite valuable. The MacCrossens glued each indivual veneer of birch with hide glue, making an extremely fast, resilient, compact headed, and fairly light blade (about 85-90 grams), A shortage of wood after World War II, plus possibly their price ($6.00 per blade), resulted in their being discontinued.

The 1940s MacCrossens came in, again as best as I remember, four models: the Barna, the Holzrichter, after the American player Bill Holzrichter, the Chief, and the Ace. Steve Berger, the 2000 National Hardbat Singles Champion, played for a while with a MacCrossen that may have been made for the American champion Leah Neuberger.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2015, 02:21 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Is this Berdnt from Usenet? Welcome!

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2015, 05:10 
Super User

The question is similar to "would hard or soft sponge work under an inverted top sheet ?".

The answer is both hard and soft sponge work for different people depending on your techniques.

With hardbat having no sponge the racket itself "kind of" performs the function of the sponge, so the answer is yes, a thin balsa blade will work for some people depending on their techniques.

Probably not the definitive answer you were looking for.