OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Hardbat
PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 15:14 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
My partner decided to go to the big beer hardbat tourney and wanted me to build him a bat. I made one with Dr Evil, both sides. One for each of us. I played hardbat in the 50s and was pretty good at it. Using Dr Evil and PK on one side for most of the last year was the same. My partner had NO experience with it.

First lesson, he kept trying to use his inverted play and it just does not work. He was about to give up when he finally started to get it. He is hooked now and wants to hit hardbat even after the tourney for part of our practices. I must admit, I am glad he did this as I really enjoy playing hardbat. it takes it's own set of skills.

He is amazed by how slow the bats are and how fast they are when you flat hit. He is amazed when I keep chopping back to him when he thought he had the point. He is amazed at the control when pushing. He loves the long rallies. I think I will have to put one hardbat in the bag for China. This is so much fun. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: Hardbat
PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 15:22 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

Only ONE hardbat? What about your partner? And I don't mean the playing partner :wink:

Cheers.

PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 15:44 

I don't think her penhold would work for hardbat very well but if she wants to try, I will build one for her over there. Never seen a pen hardbat player now I think about it. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 16:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I've seen it and he had a notch cut into the blade (on the back) for his finger. Not sure if that's legal. He used it in normal tournament and in hardbat tournament, was awkward for those playing him. I gues it's kind of similar to short pimple style only a little more difficult as no sponge to work with.

PostPosted: 21 May 2009, 00:25 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
I have two hard bat set up now, original one with Dr. Evil on one side and Peacekeeper on the other on a Donic Allplay Appelgren blade; the other one used the two DR. Evil rubbers you sent me, on a Joola MC1 blade.

I have no problem executing all strokes on my backhand, but on the forehand side, I have to remember to open more on the blade to hit. It is really fun, I used the Applegren blade to hit with MNNB when he visited.

PostPosted: 21 May 2009, 01:05 

Glad the rubbers are going to a good use.

You probably know but the PK is not legal for hardbat. I like the PK better than Dr Evil.

I made a new blade. It was an experiment and it is the fastest blade I have ever used but it turned out heavier than I like so now, it is going to be turned into a hardbat setup.

I am so busy packing and putting everything into storage, I "almost" feel guilty making blades now but you can only do so much "required" stuff in life. Sooner or later, you have to do some "Serious" work, like making blades.

I sent my one year visa app in yesterday and got a confirmation they received it this morning. I should have it in a week. If you visit southern China in the next year Tat, you will have to stop by and have a hit. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

PostPosted: 21 May 2009, 02:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victas VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
At least one of the high-rated players at the recent Sacramento (California) open hardbat RR event was using Dr Evil on a fast, regular-sized blade, iirc. So much for Hock blades and slow SP being the best/only hardbat weapon.

With the upcoming $100000 HardBat Classic next month in Las Vegas (http://www.hardbatclassic.com/info), hardbat tt is likely to see some resurgence. At least one 2400+ player from my club is practicing their hardbat skills with a serious eye on the prize!

PostPosted: 21 May 2009, 04:15 

There are alot of good players trying hardbat now. I used to have Hock bats and wish I still had them. But, my thoughts on a good blade has changed. i now prefer the fastest blade I can get. I am using a carbon now but will switch to my homemade today. It is faster.

There has been alot of negative words about the Hardbat Classic and being linked to beer. I say "Tough". It has generated more interest in table tennis than anything the USATT has ever done. Almost all sports use beer commercials. I know of no one or one organization that has put this much money into table tennis for one event.

Hardbat blades have migrated to 100g power houses. Some are even 120g. Total bat weight is still low with two OX sheets. The old slow blades are going out of favor. Some pure defenders still choose the slow ones though.

Just got back from hitting and in 45 minutes of hardbat, my partner and I broke three balls. I mean Broke. Two Gambler 3 star and one Nittaku 3 star. The Gamblers both ended up in TWO pieces and they did not split on the seam. The Nittaku split half way around. Two other balls cracked by the seam and started flying funny. These showed no signs of damage untill a kill shot did just that.

Both of us are attackers. He hits as hard as anybody I ever played. He is figuring out the strokes but just like inverted play, he will not pass up an opportunity to crush a ball. I got hit by many balls today. They are just too fast to move your hand out of the way even when you are way back. Feels like star wars. On the other end, pushing can go on for ever. The control is so good. You can flip short pushes but not with the speed of inverted. I can chop on both wings. He can only chop well on backhand so far. Just tooooo much fun.

Those that have not tried hardbat will be in for a shock. It is very different than inverted. I do think some of the things you would learn in hardbat can be applied to inverted play.

I do not think a 2000 rated hardbat player will lose to a 2000 rated inverted player. Or the other way around. The hardbat players get their rating playing in regular USATT tourneys. A 2000 player is a 2000 player. What would be interesting would have two equal players switch equipment. Hardbat guy uses inverted, inverted player uses hardbat. Then see who wins. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

PostPosted: 21 May 2009, 05:04 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
hookshot wrote:
There are alot of good players trying hardbat now. I used to have Hock bats and wish I still had them. But, my thoughts on a good blade has changed. i now prefer the fastest blade I can get. I am using a carbon now but will switch to my homemade today. It is faster.

I have a Hock bat and I think it's pretty useless with the big ball.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 21 May 2009, 05:21 

I agree about the Hock not being the best anymore. I just wish I had my old blades for memories. The Hocks have a sound that can be recognized anywhere. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

PostPosted: 21 May 2009, 07:47 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
If you are playing hardbat table tennis you might want to consider a couple of these rules - according to the official hard bat rules:

http://www.hardbat.com/hardbat.html

1.3 RACKET COVERING
Each playing surface must be covered with a racket covering explicitly listed on the current Approved Hardbat Racket Coverings list. If two sides of the blade are playing surfaces, then it is prohibited to use different Racket Coverings on the playing surfaces. In other words, "combination" rackets are prohibited -- if the hypothetical "Acme" racket covering is used on one playing surface, then the "Acme" racket covering must be used on the other playing surface. Each racket covering must be attached to the blade in a manner described in section 1.4 (GLUE).

You can't therefore mix and match different rubbers on the bat even if they are both on the very short legal rubber list.

Also

1.2 BLADE
The blade shall conform to the USATT definition, except that it shall be comprised solely of rigid wood (no carbon or other non-wood plies). The handle may incorporate decorative non-wood inserts or inlays. If two hitting surfaces are used, both surfaces must be identical, and the composition of the blade must be internally symmetrical with respect to each surface. That is, it shouldn't matter which surface is used to hit the ball... they both must be identical.

In particular note the "no carbon or other non-wood" plies. This helps to ensure everything is consistent and players have to use technique to generate speed rather than rely on a fast carbon blade. Consistency is paramount across the rackets.

I got interested in hardbat table tennis after I put a video on YouTube about bats and rubbers used in our league over the years. I included footage of a really old bat with sandpaper and cork covering and a gentleman from the Phillipines contacted me about it. He told me:

"Way back 1930's these Ancient SandPaper racket is very popular until now a days in the Philippines,& they included this as added variant last 11-31-08 at Philippine Nat'l Open at ultra,to promote & to preserve this ancient racket,if u want to watch the Philippine Sandpaper?just type "liha at ultra at the youtube search.
backhandguru (6 months ago) Show Hide

PHILIPPINES NATIONAL OPEN TABLE TENNIS
( INCLUDES THIS ADDITIONAL VARIANT EVENT )
They used the old National Philippine rules the FF:
1.Easy serve and easy return,right to right side of the table.
2.You can catch the ball if you do not like your opponents service.
3.Its only 2 out of 3
4.The score is up to 20 only per game.
5.When deuce comes,straight up to 1 to 5 scores.
6.Your free hand can hold and touch the table while hitting the ball.
7.The ball size is always 38mm

He referred me to this video

Richard Gonzales recently the South East Asian Games Champ 2008 ( in grey ) and Mr.Berto Bas (the Sandpaper King in the 1980's - in yellow)

Just listen to the sound it makes, and if you go to the actual YouTube page there are is lots more information posted in the comments.

So it's just not hardbat that's out there but also "sandpaper too"!

Hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by Debater on 21 May 2009, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21 May 2009, 07:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victas VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
All wood? Time to dust off my old Yasaka Leopard blade. :twisted:

PostPosted: 21 May 2009, 08:46 

Whoops :oops:

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Last edited by hookshot on 21 May 2009, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21 May 2009, 08:53 

The rules for a hardbat used in open competition differ a little. Any blade, etc. I heard they let you use the same color on both sides now if the rubbers are the same. Not sure though.

Really like watching the vids of hardbat. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

PostPosted: 21 May 2009, 09:09 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
hookshot wrote:
I heard they let you use the same color on both sides now if the rubbers are the same. Not sure though.

You are right hookshot - at least for the USATT - I don't know about elsewhere.

"Board Approves Proposal Exempting Hardbats From The Two-color Rule

The Board of Directors passed (8-2-0) the Hardbat Committee's proposal to exempt hardbats with equal rubber from the two-color rule in domestic events. The Board's approval means that racquets which are non-compliant with the present red/black rule but which do conform to the definition of a "hardbat" (please see definition of "hardbat" in the Hardbat Table Tennis Rules at http://www.hardbat.com) may be used in any USATT sanctioned event which is not required to conform to the ITTF standard."

USATT