OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2009, 11:37 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Hardbat player (black shirt) vs sponge player (green shirt) -- 1900 level

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2009, 17:18 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Thanks for posting the videos.

I was surprised to see just how aggressive the guy in black was. No or very chops and he seldom left the edge of the table. He also had a very fast arm although I can't figure out how he was able to play a topspin or loop looking style of shot and not put the ball in the net ie his racket angle looked closed. When I've done that type of shot with my hard bat, the ball goes straight down into the net! Hitting or smashing his elbow seems to come up and over and his arm looked a lot flatter in it's follow through which is what I was expecting to see. He certainly seemed to be the one dictating the tatics in this match.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2009, 14:38 
Super User

Well, that's me in the black. These were posted originally to help answer a question about how to play against sponge with hardbat. Of course, this only helps for this particular style of sponge player.

Some player and match background is in order. The player in blue almost always beats me. I've played him for years and had never won a match. The day prior to this match, I lost a match to him four games to two in the U-2000 single elimination. This match picks up with us tied at two games apiece.

It does appear that I'm dictating the direction of this match. But you should know that this player likes to retreat and counter drive or lob. I think that style works to my advantage since the returned balls tend to be high and relatively easy for me to attack unless they have lots of spin and/or pace.

This match primarily turned on my ability to stop making unforced errors. In game five I made lots of them. In the last two games I made very few and also hit many winners. That, IMO, is one of the keys to using hardbat successfully against sponge - control the ball. The sponge player needs to try to get that control away by using superior spin and speed.

Last edited by wturber on 02 Sep 2009, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2009, 14:56 
Super User

Debater wrote:
Thanks for posting the videos.

I was surprised to see just how aggressive the guy in black was. No or very chops and he seldom left the edge of the table. He also had a very fast arm although I can't figure out how he was able to play a topspin or loop looking style of shot and not put the ball in the net ie his racket angle looked closed. When I've done that type of shot with my hard bat, the ball goes straight down into the net! Hitting or smashing his elbow seems to come up and over and his arm looked a lot flatter in it's follow through which is what I was expecting to see. He certainly seemed to be the one dictating the tatics in this match.

I use a very light blade, an LKT Instinct 5-ply with Dr. Evil on each side. And yes, I think it is arm speed that allows me to get the spin on the ball. I work hard for my spin. :)

I also think the LKT blade may have a bit more dwell time than most blades. That may allow a slightly more closed blade angle, but I think this is mostly a combination of illusion and the blade speed helping to lift the ball. When I hit those shots, I think about hitting below the ball's center line - even though I know that I typically don't hit it quit that low. Note that my finish is usually near my head. I think the stroke is more vertical than it appears. Note also that the racket is not closed at the start of the stroke and is usually pretty vertical at the end of the stroke.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2009, 19:40 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
That sounds like a very cheap and effective blade for anyone that want to give hardbat a go.

The match looks of quite high standard actually, looks higher than 2000 level to me, judging from other videos I've seen. I'm mazed what you can do with that bat!

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2009, 00:21 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
That sounds like a very cheap and effective blade for anyone that want to give hardbat a go.

The match looks of quite high standard actually, looks higher than 2000 level to me, judging from other videos I've seen. I'm amazed what you can do with that bat!

Yes, the entire racket costs less than a single sheet of many modern "glue effect" rubbers. :)

Hardbat is not nearly the limited game that many people assume. It is an easy mistake to make since the racket itself doesn't seem to do much for you. Right now I'm working on improving my blocking and learning to chop when necessary. I think of a hardbat as the jack of all styles, but master of none. So improving with hardbat means being competent at all the styles possible with it. I think this tendency to drive a motivated player to all-round playing capabilities is one of the things that many people like about hardbat play.