OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2009, 13:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
In a earlier article by Marty Reisman, published here earlier, he refered to his time as the Golden Era.

Now was this the 'Golden Era' simply because that was the time he was dominant in the sport, or was there something really different?

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2009, 14:10 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Good topic.

No question that today's sponge equipment is superior to hardbat in top level head-to-head competition.

On the other hand, in Reisman's time playing defense wasn't a liability (like the ITTF has made it today) and points were longer and more strategic. Certainly in the "golden era" the game was more watchable than the boring repeated three ball rallies we often see today.

Arguably it was also more fun to play, although that's debatable.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2009, 15:07 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
In a earlier article by Marty Reisman, published here earlier, he refered to his time as the Golden Era.

Now was this the 'Golden Era' simply because that was the time he was dominant in the sport, or was there something really different?

Many people look at it as being the Golden Era for a number of reasons, probalby including these three and no doubt, a few others..

1) The sport enjoyed fairly widespread popularity as both a participant and spectator sport.
2) The sport enjoyed a good balance between offense and defense and many people think this lead to more interesting play.
3) Since there was generally very little variation or advantage in equipment used, matches were more related to obvious player skills and not to equipment variation and advantage. In other words, while the player is always the main factor in any table tennis match, in this era the equipment was a very minor factor. You got your spin by virtue of your stroke, not because you spent $50 for a special rubber and a carbon blade.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2009, 19:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

That does make sense I guess. SO why did popularity dwindle?

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2009, 17:02 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
That does make sense I guess. SO why did popularity dwindle?

The advent of television was probably a factor. Some people blame the advent of sandwich rubber and the increase in spin. Some people think that the ITTF mismanaged the sport and that the USATT in particular did a poor job in the U.S. But in the end, I suppose the answer is mostly something that you can argue about over a beer. I doubt anybody really knows.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2009, 17:17 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I'm sure it was many factors... worth thinking about though, as the same thing is happening to modern table tennis...

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2009, 07:49 

Hi all I am new here. I am a returning to the game player. Many years ago I was a fair good club player. I have lost to D. Seemiller and Paul Day. I was at the English Open when the Chinese demoed how to use "junk" rubber. Can't remember his name but he beat all of the top European players. I also played against really good hardbat players in the English leagues. They were from the golden era and were good all around players who could blow me out on a good day. I am returning to play after a long time away and plan to play with a hardbat, no more Clippers blades and Sriver for me.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2009, 07:55 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

A big welcome to the forum from me BOBC! I'm sure you'll have plenty of good story to share :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2009, 18:59 

Thanks for the welcome. Many years ago while I was in the USAF stationed in England I played in the leagues. Back then there were many older players who played with a hardbat, Leyland pips was popular, they were very difficult to play and could wear me out as I was a two sided looper and returned everything. One of my friends had played against Victor Barna, probably one of the best players of the Golden era.