OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 167  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself
PostPosted: 25 May 2016, 12:57 

Hello everyone,

I am Nehal and I am playing table tennis for 3 years now. Initially it was all recreational and using cheap readymade paddles but for last one and half years, I've switched to modern defense and training/practicing bit seriously. I like to read user's blogs and their experiments and strategy give me new ideas to try on my own.
Hope I'll be able to start my own blog soon !

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 01:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Welcome ndnd!

You have probably learned a lot in these 3 last years!

The guys here a great at sharing info on strategies and equipment! Just beware of spending a lot of money on rubbers and blades! Some of our forum members say....give your present rubber and blade a long try before switching! I spent $3000 in 6 years...too much!

We look forward to hearing from you!

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 02:59 

glennholder wrote:
Welcome ndnd!

You have probably learned a lot in these 3 last years!

The guys here a great at sharing info on strategies and equipment! Just beware of spending a lot of money on rubbers and blades! Some of our forum members say....give your present rubber and blade a long try before switching! I spent $3000 in 6 years...too much!

We look forward to hearing from you!

Thank you for the kind words !
I agree with you about EJ bug. Fortunately, i don't have that kind of money to throw around. The costliest blade i ever bought is Butterfly JSH, just 3 months back but i still miss my old pg7 and may switch back to it anytime ! As far as rubbers go, i am trying some tensor rubbers these days but i was happy with cheap chinese rubbers as well so it's not a problem with me.

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 08:57 
I am Legend
I am Legend

hmm. This got me thinking.
Even at the height (lowest? pits of despair?) of my EJing and paying upwards of 80 bucks per sheet of T05/64 every month, it's still a cheaper hobby than the ones I went on to

RC car racing - massive initial cost, high tire costs - upwards of 50 bucks per set and at a competitive cup race at least 4 sets.

cycling - a Cycling australia licence currently costs between 250-300 AUD

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 13:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

So Silver, tell us about: RC car racing - massive initial cost

I'm curious :?:

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 14:58 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Ok, so you want to be a racer? :lol:
I'm going to have a bit of a rant here, so:

TL;dr - $750 bucks to be competitive.

it's divided up into onroad and offroad, then by size (1/5th, 1/8th, 1/10th, 1/12th), by drive (2wd/4wd), and finally by motor class - modified (should really be called open motor) and stock (limited motor).

(i'm ignoring planes, boats, choppers, multirotors - there's a cool new series in dubai if you want to watch on youtube, first person view quadrocopter racing)

Lets pick the cheapest - 2WD buggy stock - also because offroad is ever so slightly more common than onroad in aus. in USA offroad is head over heels more popular.

Jump in at the at the very bottom - you buy a 'ready to run'. Something competitive because the shop told you to buy it instead of the supercheap rubbish - so lets say $399 "Team Associated B4 RTR". This comes with a built car, electronics, radio, battery and a battery charger. You go along to a club and have fun - and end up around the bottom of the boards. Partially because, like TT, there's a huge skill curve (not quite as steep), but mostly because you've got stuff that isn't entirely suitable - hard ungrippy tyres, weak motor and a battery charger that doesnt charge fast enough.

It's exactly like when you started playing tt with a cheap stiga premade with rubbers barely grippier than a sheet of anti.

So after you figure out how to drive the damn thing, to be 'competitive', you either need to start upgrading or, like tt, buy a chassis (blade), tyres (rubbers) and everything else (speedglue :rofl: ) that makes you fast.

If I were to build the equivalent to that "RTR" kit above with cheap level equipment: price range is for all cars.
Chassis - 200-1500 bucks. Lets say a Team Associated B4 kit - 300 bucks. The difference is in the details - aluminium instead plastic, strengthened plastics, adjustable parts insetad of fixed links, ball bearings and proper diffs
Tyres - about 20-50 per pair, 50 bucks.
Motor - like ITTF approved rubbers, there are various approved lists. 30-350 for electric. 200-800 for nitro - 50 bucks for a noname 3phase brushless motor
speed controller - between 50 and 400 - lets say 100 bucks for a cheap noname one
battery - 50-250. buying cheap lithium polymers, 50 bucks. This will last you about a year and you'll eventually need 2-3 per car.
servo - for steering - 50-350 - lets say 50 bucks
radio - 30 dollar cheapies to 800 dollar with bells and whistles. All 2.4ghz these days so you dont have to buy crystal sets and 'accidentally' start driving someone else's car around - lets say 100 bucks for a cheap brand name one
misc tools - 50 bucks will get you a couple of hex drivers and nut drivers.

300 + 50 + 50 + 100 + 50 + 50 + 100 + 50= 750 bucks.
And because you've upgraded your motor and tyres, you'll be faster (assuming you don't crash). Like going from that stiga premade to a All bat with 729 on both sides.

You will crash though - and break things - the equivalent of when you keep whacking the table on loops - so you have to fork out for spares. RCs is a $10 hobby. Every time you break something, provided its not anything big, it's $10 for a pack of replacements :lol: Plus your tyres will wear out, so you probably will run a new set every race depending on the surface quality (1 race a ftnt, so lets say $100 a month as the $10 plastic wheels are reusable.)

But if you want the latest and greatest - like buying whatever butterfly released this month or 12mm thick hinoki jpens - you will end up spending much much more. 1/10th 4WD costs roughly 50% more, 1/8th roughly double. Onroad 1/10th classes are approximately the same as this.

And now for the kicker. At a race meet, they run about 6 classes, typically 5 minute races with 5 minutes between rounds. Which means if you run the one car, you're on the track for 5 minutes + sundry, then twiddling your thumbs for the intervening 50 odd minutes. :rofl:

So you buy another car :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 15:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Hey Silver! That RC car/truck stuff sure is complicated!!!!

And---it's a much worse money blood sucker than TT! Thanks for the encouragement----I now feel better about my TT money spent!

And..as you had mentioned, when you are at a competition, you get very little "playing time."

Of course, it's fun, and you do excercise your brain a lot for coming up with competitive RC cars. It's a heck of a lot better for your brain than watching most TV shows!!

Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 15:50 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Cheaper than buying an italian bicycle!

PostPosted: 27 May 2016, 04:34 

Blade: But Mats Pro SP
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 80
BH: Yasaka Phantom OX
Hi all,
I'm not exactly new here but probably it's a time to introduce myself.
My name is Steve, I'm 44 years old and I play table tennis almost 38 years. :?:
I was born in Kiev, Ukraine and my coach was mr. B. Shafir - coach of USSR,
I didn't tried and practiced hard so I didn't achieved any significant results like my other older kids
(M. Ovcharov, Dvorak, Marinkevich) and I stopped to play when I was 14 years old.
Then I moved to Israel and played in high league last 10 years.
Now I live and play table tennis in Toronto, Canada and my rating is 2932 and I'm number 26 in Canada.
I assume my real rating should be a little bit lower, like 2550-2650 but meanwhile it's a temporary rating,
should be updated soon.
I started to use Long Pimples OX 15 years ago and think I've learned to use them to the full extent of one's power.

PostPosted: 27 May 2016, 04:51 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
peterbald wrote:
Hi all,
I didn't tried and practiced hard so I didn't achieved any significant results like my other older kids
(M. Ovcharov, Dvorak, Marinkevich) and I stopped to play when I was 14 years old.
Now I live and play table tennis in Toronto, Canada and my rating is 2932 and I'm number 26 in Canada.
I assume my real rating should be a little bit lower, like 2550-2650 but meanwhile it's a temporary rating,
should be updated soon.
I started to use Long Pimples OX 15 years ago and think I've learned to use them to the full extent of one's power.

Wow, not sure what the USATT Equivalent is, but that is impressive! I'd love to see some videos of you in action. Welcome to OOAK.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 27 May 2016, 12:16 

peterbald wrote:
Hi all,
should be updated soon.

Would love to know your techniques and strategy to attack with lp !

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2016, 10:43 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
I was literally so bored, so I was just looking around ooak and then I found this. I've been a forum member for about 3 weeks, so I decided, why not? I'm 14, and have been since June 6 2016 XD
I've been playing TT for 4-5 months and I'm obsessed! I absolutely love TT and love this forum and the TT world. I live in the USA, Maryland, and I don't belong to a club although I have went to MDTTC for those of u who know that place. I play seriously and I want to be really good, but awwwww I'm not quite there at all. Wish I was though. I think my USATT rating would be 400 at the most (I don't have a rating... Yet. :oops: ) I try to play a defensive style where I do a serve that usually makes the opponent push it back to my backhand side. I immediately do a spinny backspin push that is purposely high - but no so high so that my opponent can deliberately smash or flat hit the ball, but not to low so that my opponent will be forced to push the ball back. I also makes sure it's deep, so that it provokes my opponent into looping the ball to my backhand side. I then proceed to chop from there, until my opponent makes an error or I can do a kill shot. It works with my dad 60-70% of the time :) (my dad has been playing for over 20 years, penhold, no learning whatsoever; only experience and copying others. He has recently been trying to play reverse penhold Chinese style :3) my equipment? A pre made butterfly carbon racket, with inverted rubber both sides. Thanks! Also been thinking about trying out the dark side; so cool! But it's so early... Must resist.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2016, 12:04 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Danthespearton wrote:
I was literally so bored, so I was just looking around ooak and then I found this. I've been a forum member for about 3 weeks, so I decided, why not? I'm 14, and have been since June 6 2016 XD
I've been playing TT for 4-5 months and I'm obsessed! I absolutely love TT and love this forum and the TT world. I live in the USA, Maryland, and I don't belong to a club although I have went to MDTTC for those of u who know that place. I play seriously and I want to be really good, but awwwww I'm not quite there at all. Wish I was though. I think my USATT rating would be 400 at the most (I don't have a rating... Yet. :oops: ) I try to play a defensive style where I do a serve that usually makes the opponent push it back to my backhand side. I immediately do a spinny backspin push that is purposely high - but no so high so that my opponent can deliberately smash or flat hit the ball, but not to low so that my opponent will be forced to push the ball back. I also makes sure it's deep, so that it provokes my opponent into looping the ball to my backhand side. I then proceed to chop from there, until my opponent makes an error or I can do a kill shot. It works with my dad 60-70% of the time :) (my dad has been playing for over 20 years, penhold, no learning whatsoever; only experience and copying others. He has recently been trying to play reverse penhold Chinese style :3) my equipment? A pre made butterfly carbon racket, with inverted rubber both sides. Thanks! Also been thinking about trying out the dark side; so cool! But it's so early... Must resist.

Welcome to the forum Danthespearton!

Love your enthusiasm. Hope you can find a club to join, because that's where you can really improve quickly. :up:

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2016, 21:04 

Hi everyone,
I am not new to this forum but been on and off from it. My name is Dessen and i have played table tennis for like 14 years now. Been playing with different types of rubbers and blades over the years but for now my setup is
Donic Epox Carbotec blade Donic Bluefire JP 01 2.0 FH
Yasaka Rakza 07 2.0 BH
I am now in Division 2 in my country and been thinking of upgrading my rubbers. Any advice would be more than welcome

Sent from my SM-A700H using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2016, 21:21 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
BH: Victas Spectol S1
haggisv wrote:
Danthespearton wrote:

Welcome to the forum Danthespearton!

Love your enthusiasm. Hope you can find a club to join, because that's where you can really improve quickly. :up:

Thanks a lot haggisv! I feel the same. Hopefully, ill be up there (1600-2000 USATT) someday XD

Rating: Recreational Player

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 167  Next