OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2014, 18:18 
Super User

Der_Echte wrote:
Tommy clearly feels Oscar blade isn't fast enough, balls leave that thing pretty darned fast.

Haha, Tommy successfully got Nexy to make a new blade, gotta watch this one brewing.

Pr Moon, if you ever decide to field a few Actiums to test, this forum has a strong Natl Div 1 level player who plays modern defense style: Bogeyhunter

Thank you for the information.
But I think I don't need a tester for AKTIUM.
AKTIUM is already proven blade, and it will defintely catch eyes from most modern defenders sooner or later.
I'd rather wait people to realize how good blade it is.
Thank you again.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 10:27 
Super User

Correction for the article of AKTIUM

I found out I made a big mistake when I wrote about AKTIUM.
I wrote the wrong order for two sides of it.
Below is the wrong sentence, and I will change those parts.

------------Wrong descrpition ----------------------------

I use Akazie for the backhand, which is Joo Sae Huyk’s preferred blade surface wood, and White Ash for the forehand, which has a proven dual speed character found in Lissom, a Nexy second wave blade.

------------- Corrected one -------------------------------

I use Akazie for the forehand, which is Joo Sae Huyk’s preferred blade surface wood, and White Ash for the backhand, which has a proven dual speed character found in Lissom, a Nexy second wave blade.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2014, 10:15 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
You made the Ikarus blade before, which was a very nice looking blade and also dual speed! :up:

How would the performance of this blade compare to the Ikarus nexy?

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2014, 10:18 

haggisv wrote:
You made the Ikarus blade before, which was a very nice looking blade and also dual speed! :up: How would the performance of this blade compare to the Ikarus nexy?

Is Labyrinthos also a combination blade?

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2014, 12:17 
Super User

In the other thread where I was asked to develop the fasted blade, I was asked how to judge a blade is fast.
So, I wrote the below answer, and I think that will be helpful for this diary thread, too, and now I am posting the same one below.

---------------------------------------------------------

That's very important question.

What is NEXY's definition of the blade's speed?

Nexy is blessed brand, because NEXY is now growing in Korea, where many elite players are playing, and NEXY can associate with those players and coaches.

What I found out from those players and coaches were adopted NEXY blades' official descriptions, and you will know that NEXY has never shown the speed criteria on a blade.

I was asked to tell what level of speed I designed on a certain blade many times, and they were expecting me to answer to their questions with speed criteria, such as off, off+, all and so on.
But I always answered that NEXY will not tell any form of speed data.

Did you find out why NEXY did not show that kind of classfication of the speed on the blade?

Because mechanical data don't not show the real speed of a blade.
And people's feedbacks for a certain blade vary in a big range, according to what kind of play style they are, and the level of the player, as well as what rubber they use.

And that was the reason why NEXY dreamed of "dual impact" can be possible on one side, too.
But I will not write about "dual impact" here, because it's another story.

Bang Impact means a stroke very fast in one moment when a blade touches the ball, and the hit was so powerful in that moment, that the ball goes deep into the rubber, even to impact on the wooden surface, making the sound of the wooden blade almost like cracking; "bang".

And most top players were saying that a blade was fast when that blade could make this bang impact easily and steadily. They could make it easier when they used 5 ply and 7 ply wooden blades, because they felt as if the ball stayed a little longer than a thin surfac-carbon blade.

When we use a thin wooden surface supported by a carbon ply, then the ball does not stay long enough to impact on the wooden surface through the rubber on it, and it generally goes off the rubber without making that bang sound.
(Please, understand my insufficient English ability to describe this. I don't know much terminology for this description, and you need to use your imagination when you read this article.)

Actually, we can not make sure that we can tell what blade has longer staying moments than others. If you record it with speed camera, then you will not be able to see the difference by calculative speed numbers.
But the truth is, players are feeling those differences.

Maybe, that is the reason why I use thicker surface woods for carbon ply blades, or use two layers on the carbon layer, and why Butterfly added more thickness on the hinoki surface onto their carbon - hinoki blades.

For an example, when Butterfly first released Primrac Carbon blade, they used 0.5mm hinoki, but now they are using 1.0mm.
And I am planning to use 1.2~1.4mm hinoki surface on the next coming "the fastest blade".

Any way, it's not only about physical height of a ball's bounce, but it's a complex understanding about a blade.
It has to be related with the ability of generating spin, of absoving the ball deep, and of making high curve of a flying ball, that makes the ball more stable.

Therefore, I don't agree that I can tell you how you can judge or compare of a blade's speed, with several given scientific data.
Rather I can say that this blade will be generally very fast, but some players who can not make "bang impact" will not think that they are that much fast.

If a blade has only a physical high speed, then you will not be winning the matches, because you can not control the placement of the balls.
Therefore, it's not very simple process how I design a blade to be fast.

As for me, I don't use wooden plies from my stock for producing a sample, because always I need new thickness per each blade.
I design each plies one by one by 0.1mm measurment differences, and I need to prepare all new woods cut into different thicknesses, so I need to check each plies's combination with time.

That's why NEXY needs that long time to prepare one sample.

And after a sample blade is prepared, I need to test it with enough time, some times several month, to find out what is missing, and what needs to be added.

I am not sure I am giving you right answer you were expecting, but this is the best answer I could present to you for now.

Thank you for all the interests you are pouring on the project "AKRASIA".

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2014, 16:40 
Super User

NEXY released three new rubbers.

CHAOS +

Nexy is releasing CHAOS+ at the dawn of the poly ball age.
Players need to re-arm with this mighty thorn to gain a bigger wobble effect and more stable control. Chaos+ will increase the level of disruption and frustrate opponents. Meet the first long pips rubber truly designed to give you more points in the poly ball era.

KAIROS+

Nexy has closely followed the evolution of the new poly ball and concluded that the demand for short pips-out rubbers will increase dramatically as players rely more on speed than spin. But the poly ball performs differently, and the new rubber has to dance to that change. That’s why Nexy designed this rubber! KAIROS+ absorbs the ball deeper and grips it with more stability than its predecessor, KAIROS. These enhancements are exactly what a player needs to win big in this new age. Feel the difference and welcome the poly ball era with KAIROS+.

DEMIAN2+

The poly ball age has begun, and Nexy has carefully diagnosed their challenges and prepared a new weapon. DEMIAN2+ relies on the combined gripping power of the top sheet and sponge, not on the top sheet alone. DEMIAN2+ has a deeper impact and better gripping power to help players compensate for the spin resistant properties of the new ball. Feel the difference and welcome the poly ball era with DEMIAN2+.

In the novel, DEMIAN by Hermann Hesse, the author writes that after World War II, in spite of the sureness concerning God, the goodness, and the future of humankind being broken and scattered, a spirit in people to strive for awareness, harmony, and excellence still existed.

Man is not created to sit back in bitter frustration, even after the devastation of war. He must seek to achieve great things despite tragedy and adversity.

It is that spirit that Nexy respects and hopes to instill in its products. At Nexy, we do not claim to have all the answers, but that does not stop us from enduring and endeavoring. What matters most is the pursuit of something greater.

We proudly introduce DEMIAN2+ — a table tennis rubber with an unstoppable spirit.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2014, 02:36 

Chaos+ is a must try. I need a new weapon!

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2014, 19:09 
Super User

NEXY’S BLADE DESIGN HISTORY

Nexy’s web domain is very simple and easy to remember.
It’s difficult to find a good four-letter domain name for a brand these days.
I bought and registered the domain back in 2002.
I dreamt of opening a new brand with that name for many years, and finally in 2009, I launched http://www.Nexy.com.

1. FIRST GENERATION

My original idea for Nexy blades was much different than it is today.
I had been a Tibhar agent since 2007 and a Stiga agent since 2010.
I had the opportunity to study hundreds of good quality blades.
However, when I first began Nexy’s blade line I stopped studying blades and began analyzing my findings.

I focused on creating something very different from the blade line of those two brands.
I wanted Nexy to produce different blades rather than better blades.
If I tried to make better blades, then I would have been studying, upgrading, and copying part of Tibhar and Stiga’s original designs, which is something I was careful not to do!

Nexy’s first-generation had to be different; it had to be unique.
Therefore, I did not copy and improve other company’s blades; I created my own from scratch.

Nexy’s First-Generation (also called “The First Wave”) was born.
I aimed it to be incomparable to other brands.
I organized the blade design into five categories:

1. 5-ply, with Hinoki surface. Fastest ever 5-ply blade – DEXTER

2. 5-ply, with Hinoki surface with good feeling and a heavy touch – COLOR

3. Hinoki carbon blade with a natural feeling – HANNIBAL

4. Hinoki arylate carbon blade with a natural feeling – OSCAR

5. Other blades: Hinoki Japanese penholder blades
– ISKANDAR and TEMUJIN; Hinoki one-ply shakehand blade – LAUREL; Handmade carbon blade – SAHARA.

I tried to make those blades unique and I often used a Hinoki surface, partly because European brands did not have the top quality Hinoki, which separated Nexy blades from the two other brands.
I carefully studied carbon material. At that time, blade designers categorized carbon layers into either hard or soft carbon.
Hard carbon was Butterfly’s main material, while Stiga used soft carbon.
I tested many different types of carbon and arylate carbon layers.
I adopted a very light, but powerful carbon and arylate carbon layer for Hannibal and Oscar.
They provided a good feeling along with high speed and power.

After several months, Nexy’s first-generation blades were completed.
I was somewhat satisfied, but I felt something big was missing.
The blades were good, but not unique! They weren’t much different from other brands’ blades.
I thought deeply and questioned my intention and purpose for blade designing — And I would soon discover it!

 (will be continued soon)

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 03:40 

Looking forward to reading about Wave 2, 3, and beyond!

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 11:23 
Super User

NEXY's blade design history (2)

2. SECOND GENERATION

After completing the first-generation blades, I came up with a new concept that I called, “point and plane.”

Generally, table tennis rubbers and blades are judged by two factors — speed and control, and normally players think those two factors are interrelated. However, in most cases, speedy blades have worse control than slow blades.

Since the ITTF ban on speed gluing, the demand for spin greatly increased. Initially, many table tennis companies focused on how they could equip their rubbers with better speed, but soon realized they needed to focus more on spin. This caused a revolutionary development in rubber production.

As a blade designer, I also considered speed, control, and spin, and I tried to figure out how I could insert a powerful spin generating ability into my Nexy blades. That was the moment I came up with this new concept “point and plane”.

What makes a table tennis ball spin? Many people think that the ball rolls on the rubber when a player hits the ball. Actually, a ball does not roll — it impacts the rubber, twisting the top sheet and sponge. The ball is spun when the rubber tries to recover back to its original form. It’s all about the rubber’s character while returning to its original form.

Therefore, if you have a slow stroke, your rubber needs to respond accordingly to match your slow movement. But if you have fast stroke, your rubber needs to recoil quickly into its original shape.

If your movement is fast, but your rubber’s movement is slower than your swing, then your return will be weak. Regardless, it’s apparent that there is a crucial moment when a ball impacts the rubber, twists it, and is catapulted by the rubber recoiling to its original shape.

I chose to focus on this specific moment. If Nexy could make players experience that moment, then I could claim to have created something different.

I adopted the term “bang impact” in order to explain the explosive contact of a ball on the rubbers. The contact was so powerful that a ball could touch the wooden surface through the rubber.

I tried to design a blade that has a different character between blocking, standard strokes, and bang impact. The blade had to have several distinct functional features.

When a player uses the blade for blocking, it makes the ball fly short and gives the player a more stable defense. But for attacking, if a player makes a bang impact, then the ball is driven with power and speed. This is where I coined the term “dual impact” or “dual speed.”

In order to equip this dual impact to the second-generation blades, I slept many nights on the question, “How can I make dual impact possible on a real blade?” I rechecked all the blade compositions I went through and came to realize that there are two factors to consider. Those are “point” and “plane.”

In order to make the blade absorb the impact of the ball while blocking, I needed to use a “plane,” which means the whole blade acts to receive the power of the ball, embracing it and reducing it into something smaller.

But when I wanted to make a powerful shot in attacking, I needed to make use of the blade’s one spot as a solid point where the ball’s energy was focused and rebounded in the return. I also discovered the importance of designing an ideal width for each composition, which also affected the blade’s final character.

I attempted to combine one layer to serve as a “plane” and another layer to serve as a “point.” That was how I designed LISSOM. And that’s how Nexy’s second-generation began. Here is the list of those blades:

• SPEAR: Deep impact, solid response, and controlled dual impact.

• LISSOM: Maximized dual impact and oriented for continuous looping.

• CALIX: Big dual impact and extremely thin attacking blade (4.9mm)

• CALIX 2: Medium dual impact with moderate power and balanced feeling and speed.

• QABOD: Medium dual impact, with a solid feel and good speed.

• AMAZON: Controlled dual impact, using white ash surface wood and a balanced shape.

• SPARTACUS: Controlled dual impact, featuring Japanese Hinoki surface.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 11:31 

nexy wrote:
What makes a table tennis ball spin? Many people think that the ball rolls on the rubber when a player hits the ball. Actually, a ball does not roll — it impacts the rubber, twisting the top sheet and sponge. The ball is spun when the rubber tries to recover back to its original form. It’s all about the rubber’s character while returning to its original form.

I'm fairly certain a golf ball spins for the same reason as a table tennis ball spins: the paths and orientations of the objects do not align. Same reason almost anything spins, actually - like a pool ball struck by a cue, etc.

Tibhar TEXO All | 1.8 999 Juic Elite x 2
Ross Leidy ALL Blades (x2) | 1.8BH/2.0FH Juic 999 Elite
Butterfly Amicus Pro

Erie TTCErie TTC Facebook
TSTGE5SKLSW

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2014, 17:08 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Fantastic information, thank you nexy! :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2014, 10:50 
Super User

3. THIRD GENERATION

While focusing on “dual impact,” I tried to scatter that concept on a variety of blades, from fast carbon blade (QABOD) to thin and slower carbon blade (CALIX), to embracing limba surface (SPEAR) and kiso Hinoki (SPARTACUS).

Along the way I discovered the benefits of burnt wooden material.
I tested many kinds of burnt woods, and I applied the burning process to a few of Nexy’s elite second-generation blades, CALIX, CALIX 2, and QABOD.
I also applied the burnt wood technique to Amazon and Spartacus. When a wood layer is burnt, it becomes thinner and lighter, which make the layer slightly different from a raw wooden layer.

After extensive research, I realized how attractive a blade made with burnt wood could be.
But unlike the second-generation blades, I decided not to burn all the plies of the third-generation line.
Instead, I focused more on how I could support the natural raw wooden surface with the burnt wood core, thus creating a light and speedy blade.

For the second-generation, I tried to apply dual impact for varieties of raw wooden to completely burnt blades, starting with the thinnest attacking blade CALIX, to the fast attacking blade QABOD, to the soft Hinoki surface blade SPARTACUS, to thin but hard surface white ash AMAZON and LISSOM.
The second-generation blades covered a wide range of speed and feeling. I extensively experimented until I found what is good and unique.

Three years of testing led to the Nexy’s third-generation, which is different from other two generations in the following three ways:

1. Third generation blades use a raw wooden surface, but the center layers are burnt.

2. Speed, size, and feeling converge!
I did not want to make them very fast, but not slow either.
All the blades are rated approximately Off-, but they are very fast when they are used for looping with “bang impact”.
“Dual Impact” was also converged on a moderate scale.
Touch and an excellent feeling were also noticeable.

Most blades aimed to provide a pleasant, rather than huge feeling and vibration.
They were not too stiff, not too flexy.
Overall, the third-generation blades were a unified group of attacking blades with “moderate dual impact” and “light and pleasant feeling.”
Each with a balanced weight and size.

3. Nexy adopted the new concept “depth” for the third-generation blades.
I studied my development of the second-generation blades, and came up with this concept — It’s not about blade’s thickness, nor is it about the actual depth; It’s about where the impact of the ball is felt inside the blade.

Regarding “depth,” in general, two factors are considered when designing a blade — speed and control.
But Nexy introduced another factor when designing the “second-generation” blades.
I applied “dual impact” and that significantly affected the “spin generating ability.”
That was a very attractive concept.
It intoxicated me, and I continued to focus on it.
But I came to realize that “Dual Impact” also needed to be modulated.

The third-generation blades hover around moderate scale.
But this process opened my eyes for the next level of blade design. That was a concept of “depth.”

At some point I stopped writing continuously about how I develop blades, and I did not say much about Nexy’s third-generation.
However, the third-generation blades are really well thought out and carefully conceptualized down to the smallest detail, such as “dual impact”, weight balance, handle comfort, spin, speed, and even “depth” — where players feel the ball.

I realized that “depth” is the very core factor that characterizes a certain feature of a blade.
For example, I used a thin but hard wooden surface for the KIM JUNG HOON blade, which was released under the Tibhar brand name.
It is supported by a soft, but pointing (converging the blade power on one point) second layer.

If I did not use a soft second layer, then the blade would not have enough depth to generate good control and spin.
If I increased the surface thickness, then the depth would not rely on the soft second layer, and ball would only be felt on the surface.
That would kill the good functional feature of the KIM JUNG HOON blade. This blade’s biggest feature is to make the ball bounce high.
Even an experienced blocker will be surprised when a ball flies higher than the usual curve, and that was possible by this “depth” arrangement.

For Hinoki surface blades, such as INCA (another Tibhar blade, but designed by me) and ARIRANG, I tried to support the soft Hinoki surface with composite layers and blade surface thickness.
I also carefully considered the depth of the impact. As a result, all the blades were carefully examined with the fourth factor; “depth.”

SUMMARY

Nexy’s first-generation focused on “speed” and “control,” the second-generation added, “spin,” and the third-generation added “depth.”

Here is the list of the third-generation blades:

•PETERPAN: Powerful, but balanced 5-ply blade.

•INCA: Speedy, but light feeling Hinoki carbon blade

•ARIRANG: Powerful carbon blade with aramid carbon layer

•KIM JUNG HOON: Powerful 7-ply blade with a high curve, long trajectory, and moderate dual impact

•OZ (Chinese Penholder only). Powerful attacking blade with a Hinoki surface.

•AKTIUM: Defensive blade with different surface woods on each side

•KANAPH: This is 3.5-generation blade, following the third-generation. It is a thin, but speedy Hinoki carbon blade.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2014, 10:19 
Super User

I am designing three blades, now.
Chedech is about to be released in a few days, and two others are "AKRASIA" and "ZEALOT".

ZEALOT is fast wooden blade, developed from "KIM JUNG HOON".
AKRASIA is the one I started to design with the aim to make the fastest blade in the world.

Here you can see the picture of those two blades.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2015, 17:52 
Super User

Here is the lens I prepared for AKRASIA and ZEALOT.

And also I attach a picture file how I wrote the letter of "ZEALOT".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next