OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 14:11

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Nexy Oscar blade
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 00:09 

Review of nexy Oscar blade

Blade: Nexy Oscar ( 5 ply + 2 Arylate/Carbon)
Speed: 8.5
Control: 9.0 (better than the Michael Maze and Timo Boll Spirit)
Feel: Medium
Weight: 91 grams
Handle : Straight and similar to the Michael Maze in size and feel.
Rubbers: Forehand : 2.1mm Tenergy 64 and 2mm 868 Tokyo, which were taken off my Michael Maze.

Review:

A well balanced blade 91 gram blade, with outer plies that look just like the outer plies of my Ishlion, which are Hinoki, with a high standard varnished finish.

Mr Moon Eui Bae has confirmed by email that the outer plies of the Oscar, are high grade Japanese Hinoki, which helps give it a different feel to any other arylate carbon I've used to date, i.e. the Timo Boll Spirit, Michael Maze, Dawei GTO and Galaxy K4.

Personally I like the feel of Hinoki, after playing with the Ishlion in the summer and was looking forward to playing with this blade.

The rest of the blade also has quality materials used in its construction, although I don't exactly know what the three inner wooden plies are.

However I do feel that Nexy have paid attention to detail, when developing the Oscar and it shows as they have produced what I feel is a great blade, with a good feel for the ball; which in turn makes it easier to play a good short game with, than the Michael Maze and Timo Boll Spirit.

Don't get me wrong, the Timo Boll Spirit and Michael Maze are very good blades, which I know well, but I've always felt that their muted feeling made the short game harder, compared to say 5 ply wooden blades.

Anyone familiar with the Michael Maze and Timo Boll Spirit will feel comfortable with this blade fairly quickly and speedwise, it is closer to the Michael Maze, which is good news for me, as I prefer the Michael Maze to the Timo Boll Spirit.

I agree with Speedy, the blade does provide the speed and control for power looping from mid-distance.

It also generates a lot of spin due to good dwell time, for a blade in it's speed class. This makes it easier to generate spin with compact loops closer in and one reason why I felt that 2.1mm Tenergy 64 performed better for me, when looping off the bounce and at the top of it, with the Oscar, than with the Michael Maze.

Likewise I picked up on how good it was for smashes close to the table and the accuracy for counter blocking, too.

As thethinker mentions, this blade is ideal for topspin players, who want more speed on their loops, both close to the table and mid-distance.

I also agree this blade is good for players who can loop consistently, with a compact swing, good footwork and a little experience under your belt.

For players wanting to develop their looping skills, I would suggest a slower blade, than the Oscar.

True these are only my first impressions, but I am impressed with the Oscar's performance.

Improvement:

The straight handle feels comfortable when playing with the blade, but the Color straight handle, with it's more rounded edges feels even more comfortable.

It's not so much an improvement, as an observation for those who would like a more rounded edge on their straight handle, which you can easily remedy with sandpaper and a few minutes.

Attachments:
logo_image.jpg
logo_image.jpg [ 3.68 KiB | Viewed 8772 times ]
20091217104106a4.jpg
20091217104106a4.jpg [ 10.14 KiB | Viewed 8772 times ]
20091209064524m.jpg
20091209064524m.jpg [ 52.2 KiB | Viewed 8772 times ]

Post subject: Re: Nexy Oscar blade
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2013, 17:12 

up date !!

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2013, 18:09 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
I thought this was named after Oskar the bear :o .

This is the blade for me!

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2013, 13:05 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

Good review, but - BOY - has the company 'NEXY' mixed up the messages in its marketing. Oscar in this context has nothing to do with me (until I get an Academy Award nomination). I have to say it's kind of cheesy to call a blade Oscar and then reinforce it with an image of the Academy Award's Oscar. More interesting is the logo used by Nexy. Is that a marijuana leaf? The 'True Joy of Table Tennis'? Interesting. Well, it would be more interesting if they released blades made of hemp fibre. Now wouldn't that be an idea?

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2013, 14:13 

I just noticed that this post and similar are posted by a company representative. If this is the case - and you want to tweak your marketing, nexy.com - feel free to contact me via PM.

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2013, 15:51 
The King

Funny that you mention the leaf in the logo, I always wondered about that as well. Bad choice in logo design I'd say. And the nexy blade diaries and related posts, he sure is enthusiastic and loves his product but it's not the ideal way to promote your products I think.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2013, 18:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I've got a Nexy pair of shoes... I get asked about the logo sometimes too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2013, 18:14 

haggisv wrote:
I've got a Nexy pair of shoes... I get asked about the logo sometimes too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And being Dutch must make it double-as-hard! :lol:

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2013, 18:15 

Elvis56 wrote:
Funny that you mention the leaf in the logo, I always wondered about that as well. Bad choice in logo design I'd say. And the nexy blade diaries and related posts, he sure is enthusiastic and loves his product but it's not the ideal way to promote your products I think.

Like I said, if their angle was the use of eco-friendly materials like hemp fibre, then it would be perfect. Where are the Californian hippy blade makers when you need them? :?: :?: :?:

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2013, 19:56 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Oskar wrote:

LOL, that thought didn't even cross my mind! :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2013, 20:03 
The King

haggisv wrote:
Oskar wrote:

LOL, that thought didn't even cross my mind! :oops: :oops: :oops:
so you can imagine what the reactions to the nexy logo are like here in Holland.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2013, 20:01 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
nexy.com id on OOAK should be asst manager Lee from nexy.com He also posts on MyTT in a similar fashion. Prez Moon posts as Nexy everywhere. I'll confirm on my next visit to the nexy HQ soon.

As for the Oscar, I have used it twice.

Once, way back in my first year here in Korea, I used it for a few months and while I loved how my power loops went, my favored hard-sponged rubbers did not lop as well as they did on my TBS. Reason is that the ball leaves the bat soon from the Oscar. It is a really fast blade as in fast rebound.

Oscar really rewards a stroke where you make really solid contact. very crisp, excellent feel and confirmation when you do that and the power & control to boot. many Korean players use this kind of impact on about every stroke. I use this impact only on smashes and fast loops. I could use a softer rubber and get the saem spin and control, but it felt different than my TBS, well, because it IS different from the TBS, even if it share some similar properties, Oscar was too fast rebound for me.

Second time, I bought another Oscar from one of my visits and slapped on my favored Aurus/XP 2008 combo and went to battle. My Observations were essentially the same. I THOUGHT that I had improved enough to play the style of offence that Oscar rewards, but I wasn't there yet and gave away the blade to a mate who really likes to drive the ball well. he loves that blade still.

If you are from the school where you are taught to hit through the ball with more solid contact to make a loop, then this blade has the feel, control and speed for your game.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter