OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 03:01

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2011, 13:57 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
With a BIG THANKS to our friend auzcar, Hans Thalin has kindly agreed to answer some of our questions about pimple rubber techniques and strategies! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Here are some details from auzcar about Hans:
Quote:
Hans is famous for finding the perfect playing style for every individual and for bringing up a lot of talented "material"- or dark side players. The most well-known players (at least here) that he have brought up is Fabian Åkerström and Mattias Karlsson and he's probably the best LP/SP coach in Sweden. He's also been coaching in numerous big TT clubs in Sweden, with very good results. He has also worked with the Swedish National Team a number of times.

This is unique opportunity to ask question from a top pimple technique coach, so fire away guys!

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2011, 14:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Hi Hans,

As an aspiring LP attacker, I would love to hear your comments on the playing style of Norbert Zmyj. I understand he plays in 4th division in Germany.

Is this topspin drive technique with LP a fringe activity or an early indication of things to come?

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2011, 16:26 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
How would you advise former frictionless blockers to adjust their game?

Is disruptive blocking at the table still feasible? If so, what blade and long pips do you recommend?

How do you deal with no-spin balls using long pips?

Is long pips backhand/short pips forehand a good combination?

What are some good tactics for long pips players to use?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2011, 03:19 

What advice would give to attacking with long pimples on the backhand?

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2011, 06:29 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Photino for now
FH: Haifu Blue Whale for now
BH: Donic Bluefire for now
Is there money in pimple coaching? :lol: Don't really ask him that Haggis. I just don't know enough about pips to ask anything. Cool subject though!

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2011, 14:33 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

When did you switch to pimples?
How many double inverted players have tried to convert you?

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2011, 17:24 

Hi, Hans

What were your goals when you converted to LP? To what extent did you achieve these goals? Did you sacrifice any thing you had learned through inverted rubbers in order to convert to LP? What type of players do you recommend LP for?

Thanks

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2011, 20:33 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
Just to make one thing clear, I'm not sure if Hans actually plays with LP himself but he's famous for being a very good coach for LP/SP players, and as I said, he was the one who made both Fabian Åkerström and Mattias Karlsson to switch to pips.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2011, 20:34 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I use OX as it offers me much better control in close. Would you recommend most players to use the long pips with sponge, as OX has more limitation compared to with sponge?

Can you see much potential of the Dr Neubauer style player, or has the ban of frictionless pimples basically made that style very limited?

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2011, 04:30 
Super User

auzcar wrote:
Just to make one thing clear, I'm not sure if Hans actually plays with LP himself but he's famous for being a very good coach for LP/SP players, and as I said, he was the one who made both Fabian Åkerström and Mattias Karlsson to switch to pips.

When talking to Hans, i understood he used to play doublefish/Prashida 820 B Anti. This rubber is not longer ITTF approved

Blade : Butterfly Gionis All+
FH : DHS Skyline 3-60 (black)
BH : Spinlord Dornenglanz OX (red) (no gluesheet)

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2011, 19:18 

i never though there is a coach that is master in lp/sp! every coach i met so far puke when the word "pips" came out

so my question is
is it possible to play with SPs away from the table and still get all the benefits from the pips?
if so - which strokes are better at that range and which are not?
any tips how to perform those strokes and the different between the strokes with inverted to the strokes with the SPs or is it the same motion?

thx alot!!!

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 10:44 
Super User

If a person plays a close to the table chop block game using OX long pips on their backhand and an inverted forehand looping game, would he recommend attacking with OX long pips from the backhand or would it be better to twiddle and attack with the backhand with the inverted side.

Greg Letts has previously stated in his opinion not to attack with long pips. It would be interesting to get Mr. Thalin's view on this as well.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 12:46 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Particularly at the amateur levels, an common practice when playing against LP players is to put the ball deep with little spin, as the LP player cannot do much with balls like this, unless the twiddles or runs around to take it on the forehand. What would your advice for the LP player if strategies like this are used?

What are some effective serves for a LP player to use, allowing them to attack with the pips?

Do you think there are some LP rubbers that are particularly effective for a close-in blocking/aggressive pushing style game?

How do you identify players that have a style and talent for using LPs? Do you ever recommend it to beginners?

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2011, 09:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Any more questions guys? This is a pretty unique opportunity, so lets make the most of it! ;)

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2011, 14:14 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
If someone is a beginner, and they tend to take the ball early and fast drive it (or push sometimes), and can't loop very well (nor is looping natural like the driving), should they take the time to develop a better loop, or could I just be mostly a driver, and use SP on the FH?