OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2013, 18:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Having read bits of pieces everywhere, about the health benefits of table tennis, I decided it was worthwhile to summarise them in an article, that can be used to promote our sport, and convince people to take up the sport not just for a some fun or exercise, but also for other great health benefits:
Health benefits of Table Tennis

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 09:50 

Great article haggisv. Been meaning for ages to write something similar for my club to use in promotional leaflets. An article like this should be part of every club/associations website.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 10:02 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
This article is so true I want to print it in a life size tarpaulin and distribute to hospitals, schools and at our club. Alex, can I reproduce this article and use it to promote our club and the sports in general?

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2013, 10:13 
Hard Justice

Based on my own personal experience, there seems to be no shortage of overweight ping pong players, even among those who play 3+ times a week. I'm not sure how it is in other countries, but based on the many videos I've seen of European games (below the professional level), it seems to hold true elsewhere.

I'm not saying that ping pong doesn't offer a workout, but I am saying that you won't burn nearly as many calories as other sports or exercises. The pros stay in shape by having a complete workout regimen, since ping pong alone isn't going to keep the pounds off. People who play basketball, soccer/football, or tennis multiple times a week burn more calories than we do, simply because those sports require a greater exertion of energy, running, etc.

Anyways, I'm not knocking the sport, but I think it's easy to get carried away in advertising table tennis as some sort of miracle workout, when in reality it's not. Good diet and external exercise will go much further towards keeping you in shape, and table tennis obviously won't hurt either.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 16:47 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Agree Abdul. It's not an assurance of keeping or losing weight. What you eat and how much you burn is still the key.

On the bright side, compared to other sports, it is easier to play table tennis and does not need a lot of space.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 17:56 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

abdulmuhsee wrote:
Based on my own personal experience, there seems to be no shortage of overweight ping pong players, even among those who play 3+ times a week. I'm not sure how it is in other countries, but based on the many videos I've seen of European games (below the professional level), it seems to hold true elsewhere.

I'm not saying that ping pong doesn't offer a workout, but I am saying that you won't burn nearly as many calories as other sports or exercises. The pros stay in shape by having a complete workout regimen, since ping pong alone isn't going to keep the pounds off. People who play basketball, soccer/football, or tennis multiple times a week burn more calories than we do, simply because those sports require a greater exertion of energy, running, etc.

Anyways, I'm not knocking the sport, but I think it's easy to get carried away in advertising table tennis as some sort of miracle workout, when in reality it's not. Good diet and external exercise will go much further towards keeping you in shape, and table tennis obviously won't hurt either.

I think you'll find overweight people in all sports... perhaps you find more in table tennis because a lot of these people are not able to play the other sports effectively anymore, whereas in table tennis they still can compete at a decent level.

How much of a workout it give you depends on how much effort you put into it....if you simply keep your position in soccer and don't run much, you won't get much of a workout either. ;) BTW 20mins of multi-ball is likely too much for most people here.. it certainly is for me!. :lol:

I certainly wasn't trying to sell it as a miracle sport, and in the aerobic side of things there would be many sports as effective, but for the brain training there are few as effective, as it has some unique aspect there.

Anyway, I know you aren't knocking the sport, and you made some good point...it's good to discuss these things. :up:

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2013, 18:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Red_lion wrote:
This article is so true I want to print it in a life size tarpaulin and distribute to hospitals, schools and at our club. Alex, can I reproduce this article and use it to promote our club and the sports in general?

Oops... sorry I missed that before :oops: Yes of course, if you want to print it, I can give you the original of you like.

If you want to post it online elsewhere I'd prefer you point them to the original article though... why? Because on the internet people will just copy stuff, change the wording somewhat and claim it as their own, just to promote their own sites to profit from it...happens all the time and that's just not right.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2013, 08:55 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Thanks Alex. The article was well written and so enticing. :up:

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2013, 16:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thank you! :up:

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2013, 07:30 

I only play at the recreational level, but I have found that doubles results in more exercise than singles. At least this is true for me, as I try for every ball that is mine, even if it is unlikely that I can reach it or return it. I keep planning on wearing my HRM one of these days at the senior center for doubles to see what my average and max heart rates are, but I keep forgetting. I'm sure that it doesn't get me anywhere close to bicycling (~128 average and 15x max), but it is still good exercise and at 68 YO, I can play table tennis for longer than I can bicycle at that rate. I do believe that the main benefit of TT is brain exercise and reaction time. Tennis requires more exertion, but you also have much more time to react then in TT.

Donic Appelgren Allplay V1 flared Yasaka A-1.2 A-1 Yasaka A-1.2 A-1 123 gm - Wife's alternate.