OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 07:48 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
The ITTF has made many drastic changes in the last ten years. Why?

Until table tennis is bigger than the Super Bowl, World Cup and Olympics combined, we have to continue to develop the game.

It has been said that there were only 250 paid customers at the recent quarter-finals of the ITTF Tour's Grand Final in Korea. Sounds a long way from the Super Bowl, World Cup and Olympics.

Ha! These are lies. There were 253 people there.

Why did eight of the top ten mens players miss that event? It's pretty bizarre that most of the top players in the sport would skip the so-called "crown jewel" of the ITTF Tour.

Well basically we couldn't get the better players to come to some of our crappier ITTF tournaments, so we tried extortion. We put in a rule where players are forced to play on at least three continents or they can't play in the Grand Final. Looks like the idea backfired.

What do you say to people who think the ITTF shouldn't implement equipment rules that can't be enforced?

I would say these people are naive. Experienced people know you don't need a way to enforce rules at first. Just put them into effect and then pay someone a lot of money to come up with some sort of ultra-expensive testing device at a later date. We are a serious organization and must do something with all this free money the IOC gives us.

But without enforcement, won't players still tweak their rubbers?

There are many murderers and rapists who don't get caught. Table tennis players who don't follow the T-4 Technical Leaflet are like murderers and rapists.

And extortionists?

Yes, of course.

How did you get to be ITTF President anyway?

I ran unopposed in 1999.

What are your qualifications?

I'm the only one who wanted the job.

Tell us about the ITTF.

The ITTF is a organization of national table tennis associations. Our membership consists of many countries no one has ever heard of. Of course, everyone knows China and Germany are the only countries that matter. Maybe Butterfly, I mean Japan also.

What happens if a national association chooses not to implement an ITTF rule?

Associations are free to use whatever rules they wish. However, we do expect all associations to follow ITTF rules if they know what's good for them.

It has been said that the ITTF has an agenda against defensive players.

Nothing could be further from the truth. It's a complete coincidence that most of the rule changes we've implemented have made it harder and harder to play defensive styles. The ITTF encourages defensive styles. We just don't want defenders to win.

Why were frictionless long pips banned?

The ITTF Board of Directors determined that a rule to ban slippery long pips was needed for our events. It has always been up to the national associations, whether they adopt ITTF rules or not. This is their choice. Most national associations follow the ITTF standards and rules. If you wish to challenge this decision please do so through your national association and follow the due process.

Why is tuning banned?

The ITTF Board of Directors determined that a rule to ban tuning was needed for our events. It has always been up to the national associations, whether they adopt ITTF rules or not. This is their choice. Most national associations follow the ITTF standards and rules. If you wish to challenge this decision please do so through your national association and follow the due process.

If you could take back any of the changes the ITTF has made to the game, which would it be?

The ITTF Board of Directors determined that a rule to ban . . . what was the question again?

If you could take back any of the changes you have made to the game, which would it be?

Since none of them have had a positive effect, can I take back all of them?

What can we expect in the future?

Certainly more bans. Also more radical rule changes, more testing devices and more things requiring approval. The players are demanding for more restrictions in all aspects. We can't allow our sport to be a free for all.

Which players?

It was someone from Australia, or maybe it was Austria. I get them confused. Which one is in South America?

Any last words for our readers?

If any of your readers want to get any long pips rubbers banned, they should send an anonymous email to Odd Gustavsen and he'll take care of it.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 12:35 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
The ITTF events in Korea are free admission to the venue. (At least the Korea Open was.) I was too busy with work and when I wasn't at camp, the venue is like a 2 hour bus/subway/bus trip each way. The wife would have killed me thinking that I was gone too long away from the Apt. I did get to catch the Korean Womens doubles on TV though during prime time hours live. that would not happen in USA.

If my wife was in japan or somewhere, the attendance would have been 3 persons higher. i would have taken a few Korean forum friends over there, like they took me to the Korea Open finals.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 16:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Well done! :rofl:

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2013, 20:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I just ran accross this interview again, which once again gave me a few chuckels :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps we should ask the same person for an interview about the new plastic balls? :o :lol:

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2013, 21:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
haggisv wrote:
I just ran accross this interview again, which once again gave me a few chuckels :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps we should ask the same person for an interview about the new plastic balls? :o :lol:

Yeah, definitely need an update on this interview.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2015, 16:18 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Perhaps we can ask Greg Letts to animate this classic interview! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2015, 21:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Plastic is certainly good for the defenders. I like Mr.Sharara. All the reasonable people of real sagasity will gladly join my standpoint. We, table tennis virtuoso skilled players, we stand for the plastic firm position. Plastic does favour those chopping defenders, undisputably.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2015, 04:05 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Why did the ITTF make everyone switch to bad quality plastic balls?

Because of the worldwide ban on celluloid by the nations of the world.

Was the so-called worldwide celluloid ban a lie? Be honest.

No.

No the ban isn't a lie, or no you won't be honest?

I answered your question. That's all I have to say on the matter.

Why was the ball size increased?

It wasn't. We just changed the tolerance. If we wanted to we could make the ball 42mm and call it 40+. No need for a vote, we'll just change the tolerance again.

Is the real purpose of the plastic ball to stop Chinese domination?

Absolutely not! Let's say Azerbaijan won all the Olympic medals and every ITTF tournament they entered for 30 years. The rules apply equally to them.

Seriously?

The ITTF is a forward-looking organization. We want to stop Azerbaijani domination BEFORE it happens.

The crowds at most ITTF events are still very small. Why is that?

We believe that is because the ball is still too small. How can someone see the spin from 100 meters away?

Why don't you simply put the spectators closer?

If you want to make a suggestion, please tell your national association and they can make a motion and in a few years it might be considered.

Why can't I make a suggestion to you directly?

There are proper channels.

But it's common sense.

La la la, la la la.

You're being childish.

No you are.

Chairman Sharara, please...

La la la, la la la.

Why is booster illegal?

Because it's poison. The ITTF is all about safety and saving lives.

You say baby oil is poison?

Yes. One of our scientists said it has VOCs or something. It might have been the same guy who said celluloid is the same as nitroglycerin.

Everyone is boosting. Why is there no reliable way to detect boosted rubbers?

Granted our machines don't work, but they're just to give the appearance that we're trying to catch boosted rubbers. This is to keep recreational players from boosting cheap Chinese rubbers themselves instead of buying expensive European pre-boosted rubbers from our advertisers.

Is this part of the ITTF's vendetta against China?

Nonsense. Let's say Friendship/729 was made in Azerbaijan. Then you would say the ITTF has a vendetta against Azerbaijan.

Do you have a vendetta against Azerbaijan?

No, just China.

Why is the ITTF out to get long pips players?

Because we can't figure out the spin. If I hit topspin it comes back some weird underspin or something. It's too confusing.

It's not that hard. Why don't you use your own skill to figure out the spin?

Look. Table tennis is loop, counterloop until you're blue in the face. That we can understand. This not some sport where you use your brain.

Last question. There were serious corruption charges against you in the last ITTF election. How did you still win?

Simple. It was my staff that counted the votes and we used a special formula. One vote for me equals two votes, and two votes for my opponent equals one vote.

Sounds corrupt.

Listen we are the ITTF. No one has ever accused us of being honest.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics