OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 May 2011, 22:26 
Stir Crazy

rodderz wrote:
I blame England, Sweden, Russia...Japan, Korea, Austalia, France, Germany, Belgium, Greece, USA, Mongolia.....etc etc etc.
Table Tennis is a simple game of get the ball back so more practice is needed

:up:

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 20 May 2011, 03:53 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Even if a defensive player never won a world championship for the next 50 years, there's no question in my mind that a variety of styles being represented at the top levels of the game is a boon for table tennis and ultimately makes the game more entertaining, and it's short-sighted to change rules to make such styles more difficult to play. Who can argue with the fact that, for example, an offensive player vs. a chopper makes for incredibly entertaining television? Perhaps an offensive player vs. a close-to-the-table-blocker isn't as dramatic, but that's only when you don't understand what's going on, and it's really not that hard to learn. Ultimately, also, if the ITTF is worried about the entertainment value of the game in terms of how it comes across on t.v. (in those countries where it's actually televised), what they need is intelligent commentary and slow-motion replays, just like other sports have.

For instance, in baseball, most of us would have no idea what kind of pitch was just thrown and why the batter missed it if we didn't have the commentators telling us that was a four-seam fastball (whatever that means) or a sinker or knuckleball and showing it to us in slow motion and explaining how it tails away from the batter or whatever. And we still often don't REALLY understand the physics of what's going on, but if the commentators didn't explain these things and show the pitch to us in slow motion, the game would seem a lot more one-dimensional, coming down to a question of whether the batter hit the ball or not. Without such commentary or a lot of training, we wouldn't understand what's going on because it's just too fast for us. Now, if baseball authorities took the ITTF's approach, they'd just ban all pitches other than fastballs, but of course, they haven't done anything like that.

As in baseball, if you didn't understand how frictionless long pips work, all you'd see is one player running around looping the ball and the other player catching it right off the bounce and controlling those loops exquisitely and sending the ball back low at uncomfortable angles, which isn't boring by any stretch. But if you add intelligent commentary and replay points and zoom in to show the ball's rotation, etc., then viewers could gradually get the hang of it. It's the job of commentators to educate the viewing public over time rather than having the powers-that-be take the approach of dumbing down their sport and making it one-dimensional to make it easier for casual viewers to understand what's going on.

Along similar lines, the argument that kids get turned off from the sport because of the presence of frictionless long pips is like saying that kids get turned off from baseball because of the presence of pitches other than fastballs. Kids start out at a point where they have a lot to learn, and intelligence, touch and experience can often defeat pure athleticism. This isn't a fact unique to table tennis.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 21 May 2011, 04:05 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
wfberkhof wrote:
The reason FLP was banned was to make table tennis easier to understand for tv viewers. I don't agree with that, but that is the ITTF's main concern to get table tennis more tv exposure and make it more interesting for (non expert) viewers.

Not to get rid of different playing styles, because we still have got plenty of choppers and in the women's game close to the table pimples out players.

Well, FLP players never got on TV nor played on the pro tour, so I don't think that's the real reason.

There's an ITTF Board member who claimed that long pimples with 1.3 aspect ratio were driving children out of the game. History repeated a decade later when the same Board member claimed long pimples with low friction were driving children out of the game.

That basically unproven argument seems be the argument that the ITTF hangs its hat on.

Well as TTman has said, claiming long pimples cause young players to stop playing is just down right silly.

By the way, if FLP was so great and would/could/might have already made players world champions why weren't they good enough to even be in the pro tours before the FLP ban?

PostPosted: 21 May 2011, 04:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
wfberkhof wrote:
By the way, if FLP was so great and would/could/might have already made players world champions why weren't they good enough to even be in the pro tours before the FLP ban?

All the good players who adopted FLPs were very young. They were coming.

Personally I always feel a world top-20 FLPs player would be a real treat to watch, like a modern 21st Century super-charged Lo Cheun Tsung... :)

PostPosted: 21 May 2011, 11:46 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
RR, my chosen Asian language is Korean, (not Chinese, sorry) and I have not been around this sport but for a few years. Help me by explaining his distinguishing characteristics and contributions to the game. I'm not asking in a sarcastic way, just asking, serious. Although I am 2x attacker style, I am as pissed off as the next guy at the extinguishing of different styles, even if they gave me trouble, as that only served to make me better at the game. I would like to know your historical perspective and it is obvious you have been around the game over a decade.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 21 May 2011, 11:53 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox

Also see: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8454

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 21 May 2011, 23:03 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Wow, great vid, thanks for posting MNNB, the rally starting at 1-27sec was stunning and Lo's winner was awesome!

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2011, 13:57 
Super User

Nice how Adam ignored the 3 ton elephant in the room-the ****poor showing of the USTTA and the total failure of the ITTF to market table tennis in North America. A nation that has tremendous financial resources, tremendous media resources (Hell-you can't find table tennis on ESPN!), a huge populace-care to address that one champ? Didnt think so!

(not that I'm bitter or anything...)

Ian

Last edited by ian demagi on 23 Jun 2011, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2011, 17:49 

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I was at Korea Open finals last year and saw LIVE the final Men's Singles between Joo S H and Samsinov. Every time Joo choped back a blast from Samsinov, the crowd OOHed, then went crazy when Joo went on Offensive. crowd went bonkers WAY more than they did between Boll vs RSM, who are near the top of the list of OFF powerhouse players. Modern defensive play is clearly enjoyable to watch and appreciate. WTF do ITTF try to find ways to mess this up?

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter