OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 19:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2011, 14:44 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Thank you to those who submitted questions. I'm sure my interview won't be as interesting as haggisv or reb, but here it goes anyway...

How close do you think you are to your ideal bat?

Pretty close. I just need to figure out how to effectively harden the backhand of the Neubauer Barricade and I might be there -- provided it doesn't wreck the forehand.

How much do you think the TT industry will suffer when you stop buying new equipment?

I believe my lack of recent TT purchases is a major factor in the worldwide recession.

Which manufacturers do you think are the (1) best and (2) worst, when it comes to innovation, fair pricing and business practices?

Innovation: Best is currently Giant Dragon, Der Materialspezialist and Spinlord/Worst is liar Tibhar
Fair Pricing: Best is Giant Dragon/Worst is rip-off Butterfly
Business Practices: Best is Dr. Neubauer/Worst is liar Tibhar

What other sports did you enjoy?

Boxing and golf as a participant. I'm a big fan of the NFL Oakland Raiders.

What inverted backhand rubbers did you like?

The only inverted rubber I can really use (forehand or backhand) is Butterfly Tackiness D and only with 1.5mm sponge.

Have you ever entered your Nationals or other major events?

I've played in a handful of USATT tournaments, but since I work weekends it's difficult.

Have you played against any high level players?

I've hit with a number of them. Once I got an Olympian to drop a lot of LP blocks into the net. That was fun. :devil:

We know some of your heros, but can you name some again please?

In TT it would be Dr. Neubauer, Steve Hall, LP blocker types.

Whats your dream car? lol

Porsche 911

Which members would you most like to play against? (or even meet?)

Too many to name.

Have you played in any other country?

I've played in the USA and Germany.

How did you get into this sport? and how old were you?

My parents got us a table when I was about 10 and I played for a few years. Then I played in college (where I was an aggressive forehand player). Then I didn't get back into it till I was 48. I turn 55 in two weeks.

Who is Bob? (I know you've told it before, but many probably missed the funny story!)

See this link: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16655&p=181081&hilit=Who%27s+got+the+coolest+username%3F#p181081

When not researching TT related things, what do you get up to in your spare time?

Besides table tennis, I'm passionate about technology, travel, jazz (I play the vibes), and go (the oriental strategy game).

How many TT rackets do you actually own?

I've gotten rid of a lot of them now. Used to have a bunch.

Do you play in a league?

I wish. In this country we don't have leagues in most places. This is the primary reason the USA is such a failure in table tennis.

Assuming you are retired now, what was your career?

Not retiring anytime soon unfortunately. I work in the tech industry and am connected to the Internet practically 24/7. That's why I'm on here all the time.

Do you mentor or coach anyone in TT?

My style is so unorthodox I'd probably do more harm than good.

Who is your favorite international player?

Male: Liu Song, Female: Amelie Solja

How do you define your style?

I'm a tactical player with LP on the backhand and inverted on the forehand. I have all the normal LP shots in my repertoire. I used to be heavily backhand-oriented, but now my forehand is a big part of my game.

I adapt to the opponent. If they're aggressive, I'm happy to push/block. If they play it safe, I'll mix in more sudden attacks.

Although I know you read on my other forums and website, you seem to have made this forum your 'home'. Why?

Every forum has a personality. This one is unique in that it's a friendly place and as an LP player I have a lot in common with some of the great members here.

What motivates you most about playing TT and improving your game?

I enjoy it for both the exercise and competitive aspects. I also enjoy that my level is continually improving.

From what you've learned over the last few years, have you seen much improvement in your game? What are your goals?

Absolutely there has been improvement, slow going at times due to injuries, ITTF bans and a lack of practice partners in my area, but things are moving pretty fast now.

As for goals, since virtually all USATT tournaments are on weekends (when I'm not available) I mainly play at my local club. Next year I'll probably concentrate mainly on state seniors events. National seniors titles are pretty much out of reach since Seemiller is about my age. Maybe I can win a national paralympic event.

Where do you think is the future of our forum, and where would you like to see it go?

The forum is pretty mature content-wise and well established in its niche. As long as there are pips and anti players, this forum will remain the go-to spot on the internet.

What are the five most positive contributions the ITTF have made to table tennis in the last five years?

1. itTV
2. Run the pro tour
3. Organize for the Olympics
4. Maintain worldwide rankings
5. Conduct coaching seminars

And why are they good for the sport?

See above.

If you were president of the ITTF, what measures would you like to see put in place?

Number one on the agenda would be to split the ITTF Pro Tour away from having any bearing on amateur table tennis. All these recent changes to the game are purely designed to make pro table tennis more appealing to spectators, but these changes are not in the best interests of recreational players. I would encourage the national associations to adopt the inclusive China model, where outside of ITTF-sanctioned competition you "run what you brung" in Hookshot's colorful way of describing it.

What are some of your ideas for growing this great sport of ours?

Get more people playing. No one will be a fan of table tennis that doesn't play it and understand it. Things like the Bud Light Hardbat Challenge got thousands of people playing competitive table tennis who don't normally play competitively. The ITTF needs more of this, rather than threaten to sue fellow table tennis organizers.

I would also create educational programs to teach organizers in various countries to effectively market the sport. In addition, I would work with governments to implement table tennis programs selling the aspect that table tennis is an activity for life that keeps people healthier, thus reducing spiraling healthcare costs.

Name 3 people who would you like to see as president of the ITTF, and why?

1. Me
2. Dr. Neubauer who is already involved in the politics of table tennis and is a professional diplomat, unlike the unqualified thugs we have in there now.
3. I'd look at candidates from China since they're clearly the best at organizing this sport.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2011, 14:52 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Very interesting MNNB! :clap:

Answered like a pro (they give short answers too :P :lol: ).

I was hoping you would count all those bats on the table for me! :rofl: :rofl:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2011, 15:05 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

Gee, I'm really enjoying these 'in-depth' interviews - makes Internet denizens a little more intimate. I'm really glad I'm back to witness all of this.

One interesting thing is how this forum is construed as the safe haven for pimples-out players. I'm sure that's true, but I know I'll never go there! So, there! :P :P :P BUT I'll stick around, I promise.

Also, finally, some brave and passionate folk have romantic fantasies of being in politics, like MNNB's inkling to be president of the ITTF. Word of advice, careful what you wish for! :o ;)

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2011, 15:53 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Oskar wrote:
Also, finally, some brave and passionate folk have romantic fantasies of being in politics, like MNNB's inkling to be president of the ITTF. Word of advice, careful what you wish for!

One thing I promise is I won't work for free like the rube they have running it now.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2011, 16:04 

I think you'd make a great president! :rock:

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2011, 16:07 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

mynamenotbob wrote:
Oskar wrote:
Also, finally, some brave and passionate folk have romantic fantasies of being in politics, like MNNB's inkling to be president of the ITTF. Word of advice, careful what you wish for!

One thing I promise is I won't work for free like the rube they have running it now.

I think he only works for VOC-free really! :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2011, 18:14 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
MNNB, interesting replies thankyou. However, we didn't get much time to put questions to you - this one was over and done before I had chance. If I may ask a question please, you don't get much chance to play in competitions because you work weekends so play mostly at your club and you would be interested in being ITTF president so how much experience in the past, or indeed present have you got with running your club or any table tennis club at an administrative / committee level. If you have done/do this type of thing

1. what official role did you have,
2. what's the hardest part of the job,
3. the most frustrating part and
4. the most rewarding part.

If you haven't, what's stopped you?

Thanks

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2011, 22:23 

I have read your posts for a long time. You are very thoughtful most of the time. I think you would be a good ITTF President. It is interesting to learn more about folks. Do you account for your blades by number, mass or weight? Ha. Great pic!

USATT Rating: 1682

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2011, 00:10 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Debater wrote:
MNNB, interesting replies thankyou. However, we didn't get much time to put questions to you - this one was over and done before I had chance. If I may ask a question please, you don't get much chance to play in competitions because you work weekends so play mostly at your club and you would be interested in being ITTF president so how much experience in the past, or indeed present have you got with running your club or any table tennis club at an administrative / committee level. If you have done/do this type of thing

1. what official role did you have,
2. what's the hardest part of the job,
3. the most frustrating part and
4. the most rewarding part.

If you haven't, what's stopped you?

Thanks

Yes, I do have experience running a club. Official role would be founder and club president. I bankroll and run the whole thing. We have a core of about 10 USATT players and an equal number of basement types who show up each week.

The hardest part of the job is the extra responsibility. As a club member, you can just show up and play whenever you want, no pressure. When you run the club, you have to make sure someone is there every week to open on time, take out the tables, be there the whole time, break everything down at the end, put things away and lock up.

The most challenging part was finding a suitable place to play. It took more than a year, but through what really was a team effort, we finally accomplished it. On a day to day basis, the extra distractions of being super social to new members and doing all the administrative stuff definitely keeps me from focusing on my game as much as I like, but it's not a big problem.

Overall, I don't find any aspect of running a club of this size particularly hard or frustrating. It's actually extremely easy and more or less runs itself and the fellow members are more than willing to pitch in to help.

The most rewarding part of the job is the satisfaction of doing something positive for the sport, my community and local players, as well as establishing a nearby place for me to play. Plus I made a lot of friends.

Not that any of this experience would qualify me to be ITTF President. For that job, my campaign platform would be 1) to actually care about how the ITTF impacts all players at all levels, 2) to use common sense and honesty in both overseeing and marketing the sport, and 3) to reestablish a respect for the heritage of the game -- all of which are sorely lacking in the current regime.

gdogg1 wrote:
Do you account for your blades by number, mass or weight?

I never counted than all, and at the time of that pic I also had quite a few more. I never kept good track of them and they were all over the place for a time.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2011, 08:23 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks very much for the interview MNNB! :clap: :clap: :clap: It's very good to read a bit more about you. As soon as I get on the ITTF board, you'll have my vote for president 8) :lol:

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2011, 09:39 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

That's an important endorsement. With your backing the only way I could lose is if Schoeler rigs the voting again. :clap: :clap: :lol:

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2011, 04:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Nice interview Mnnb! I share most of your views regarding table tennis policies... You are like my older brother I never had. :)

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2011, 10:03 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

:clap: Cool stuff sir MMNB :clap:
Why the dislike on Tibhar ;)

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2011, 13:17 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

YosuaYosan wrote:
:clap: Cool stuff sir MMNB :clap:
Why the dislike on Tibhar ;)

I used to be a big supporter of Tibhar and especially Tibhar Grass D.Tecs. The original version was a very interesting soft long pip stretched with quite a bit of tension over a glue sheet that produced very disruptive effects. I was one of the first on this forum to start using it after the FLP ban and was a big advocate for it.

Then about a year ago there was a scandal (especially in Germany where pip players are persecuted relentlessly) when some tournament officials started disallowing D.Tecs because some of the sheets measured slightly beyond the 2.0 max thickness limit for OX pips. Even players who had just put on a virgin sheet of D.Tecs right out of the package were getting tossed out of tournaments and treated like cheaters.

Around that time Tibhar had also came out with a "Spezial" version without the tension/built-in glue sheet but apparently there was still an issue with overall thickness with the 1.8mm pip length + base.

Finally Tibhar bit the bullet and started shipping a sheet with shorter 1.5mm pimples. Most players found this new version did not play as well as the 1.8mm pimples.

Obviously, having three different versions of Tibhar Grass D.Tecs on the market was confusing and some of us contacted Tibhar for clarification. Sadly Tibhar lied directly to me and others I know and steadfastly denied there was any change in the pip specifications other than the removal of the glue sheet.

The reason they lied is open to conjecture. Maybe they were embarrassed to admit they were shipping illegal rubbers. Maybe they were scared of problems with the ITTF (after all it's forbidden to secretly change the specifications of table tennis rubbers after approval). Maybe they thought they'd lose sales if it became known D.Tecs had been emasculated and wasn't as good as it used to be.

Whatever the reason, there is no question they changed the pimple length and I don't like being lied to. Now I no longer do business with Tibhar.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2011, 13:54 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

While I can see your point of view MNNB on not dealing with a company that lied to you, and as a consumer you certainly have every right to choose who you purchase products from, I can also see Tibhar's conundrum. If they were to answer you with the truth, and you turned out to be a "wolf in sheep's clothing", you may use the truth as evidence to damage them with the ITTF for the breach you pointed out (changing an approved formulation). So I see that they probably had no choice but to lie to anyone making such an enquiry as they would not know who was trying to gather evidence against them.

If some of their sheets were coming out outside the max thickness, their QA processes can't be too good though. And in a field where they must know their product is a "target" for the haters (the TTMaster example set that precedent for them), they've not done their customers any favours. And for this reason, they deserve to lose customers.