OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 15:13 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Oh joy!

http://www.insidethegames.biz/blogs/15174

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 17:41 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

Alan Hubbard's over-use of the term, wiff-waff, is annoying and rather condescending. Reading between the lines, it's always good to hear more investment in the sport. Now, just gotta find a pub where I can gamble with the punters over a game or two. 8)

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 17:45 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

Scrolling down slowly.
Smiling :)

Anything good for the sport is a thumbs up for me :up:
Thanks for the share as always Sir MMNB :rock:

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2011, 19:30 

Great news for all the table tennis lovers here! I am very glad that my favorite sport is increasing its popularity day after day.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2011, 20:03 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Just a small correction based on our own leagues experience

Quote:
In Britain, table tennis seems to have become the new snooker, played in clubs and pubs and often in lunch breaks by office workers.

One of the main reasons our league moved in to the Preston Table Tennis Centre was because employers were shutting down social facilities and stopping clubs using their rooms because
1. Space is at a premium - office space should be used for office use not sports facilities
2. Businesses themselves were shutting down

I'm also an office worker. We don't have a canteen or any sports facilities or rooms put aside for these types of things and my employer is a major employer where I live.

If you look back at our leagues history, most clubs were named after the employer who hosted the club - the vast majority of these clubs have now gone.

My own team used to play in a school until the school stopped the club from locking up at night so a caretaker had to be paid to open up and lock up the venue - extra cost. And then insurance premiums rocketed as the school was frightened incase any student should have an "accident" involving our tables which were stored away. Ultimately the school priced us out of their venue.

As for ping pong clubs and wiff waff, where I live there is nothing like these. Again, table tennis tables take up relatively too much space compared to other things. Space for table tennis is space that could be used for drinkers to be stood up in.

Does this mean table tennis is dying in the UK, far from it. Just a pity the person writing the article couldn't be bothered to research properly why it's popular. If he had, he'd have looked more at how leagues are working in tandom with local councils and other organisations to promote their sport, offer open nights to the public where anyone can come down and play, run school events and take coaching out into the schools and develop youth and junior coaching programmes and much much more. A lot of growth is with children taking up the sport and with the children usually mums and dads will give it a try on social nights. The main potential for growth is still with children as the catalyst - but hey, children don't go to work in London or attend trendy clubs and pubs where alcohol is sold - which will preclude children being able to play at these venues which is not good, nor a good association.

But hey, why let a good drink and London night club scene get in the way of a good "Olympic" story, after all nothing exists outside London. I also wish he'd added Table Tennis had it's funding for the Olympics slashed after the Finance People decided they wanted medals in return for funding and table tennis in the UK can't give that - talk about superficial and short sighted funding arrangements). Maybe he could have interviewed one of those responsible for that decision and asked whether their priority was promoting all sports or bringing back gold and if the latter, why when the olympics were billed as an opportunity to raise interest levels in sport and to leave a legacy behind.

Whilst most publicity is good, there are far better stories out there if reporters can be bothered to look for them to explain why table tenis participation is increasing in the UK.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2011, 23:02 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Oskar wrote:
Alan Hubbard's over-use of the term, wiff-waff, is annoying and rather condescending. Reading between the lines, it's always good to hear more investment in the sport. Now, just gotta find a pub where I can gamble with the punters over a game or two. 8)

Oscar, Wiff Waff is a HUGE brand of TT wear over here in Korea. Koreans are uniform crazy and they pay BIG TIME $$$ for their gear. One of their lower priced jerseys costs $50 USD. The women in our club can spend hours pouring over their catalog each season.

As for gambling, you ought to come to our club when we are betting matches where the loser(s) pay for the meal we already ordered to deliver to teh club, like Sweet/Sour or whatever.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2011, 11:50 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Oskar wrote:

Hey we could perhaps get a good "hustle" going on a pub crawl! :devil: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2012, 21:38 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Oskar wrote:
Alan Hubbard's over-use of the term, wiff-waff, is annoying and rather condescending...
Well I kinda like it (but then I am not a native speaker of the language).

Just listen to the sound of the invitation: "Wiff-waff, anyone?" (Yep, you'd have to say it out loud, so make sure there's no-one within hearing range.) :lol:

Can't say that I find it any more derogatory than "ping pong", or "paddle" for that matter. Those terms are in regular use, and I don't mind them at all.
Then again, judgement in the eye of the beholder (or the ear of the listener, as applicable).