OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 11:32 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/ ... 8875.story

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 12:38 

This appears to be the kind of passion that can take table-tennis to higher places. I sometimes wonder if the ITTF and its committee members still have this kind of passion or are they just a committee of bureaucrats. Are they stuck in some kind of time warp where their thoughts and beliefs as leaders are outdated, rendering them incapable of leading the sport into the future. Someone, anyone, tell me I am wrong, pleeeease!

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 13:58 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
The USATT used to be a dysfunctional group full of agendas, bickering and dissent. Now it's a dysfunctional group headed by the US Olympic Committee with non-table tennis people in high places.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 14:26 
Stir Crazy

mynamenotbob wrote:
http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/sbt-20120306sbtmichb-05-04-20120306,0,4338875.story

Quote:
Seemiller's talent has taken him across the world to compete for the United States, and he is widely viewed as the greatest player in American history, with a 1995 induction into the USA Table Tennis Hall of Fame and five men's single national championships to show off.

"Danny's pretty much the Michael Jordan of table tennis in the United States," Brad Balmer, the historian for the South Bend Table Tennis Center, said. "He's the best the United States has ever produced in table tennis."

I think Marty Reisman would probably want to dispute that claim. He's the only US male to make it to a World Cup semi-final. And I would argue that Ruth Aarons - the only US player to ever win a World singles title - has a better claim than Seemiller.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 14:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
The USATT used to be a dysfunctional group full of agendas, bickering and dissent. Now it's a dysfunctional group headed by the US Olympic Committee with non-table tennis people in high places.

After years of personal investments, I start to doubt if U.S. table tennis will ever get their acts together... The unwillingness of USATT and clubs to cooperate with each other is wearing my patience thin... The latest example is the recently announced date for the 2012 US Nationals and team trials that will still take place during most juniors' school final exam weeks, despite loud complains last year to the Administration. I am considering cutting my losses instead of continuing throwing money down a black hole... This sport does not have a bright future here with the way USATT is running.

Last edited by roundrobin on 08 Mar 2012, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 14:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Tassie52 wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:
http://www.southbendtribune.com/sports/sbt-20120306sbtmichb-05-04-20120306,0,4338875.story

Quote:
Seemiller's talent has taken him across the world to compete for the United States, and he is widely viewed as the greatest player in American history, with a 1995 induction into the USA Table Tennis Hall of Fame and five men's single national championships to show off.

"Danny's pretty much the Michael Jordan of table tennis in the United States," Brad Balmer, the historian for the South Bend Table Tennis Center, said. "He's the best the United States has ever produced in table tennis."

I think Marty Reisman would probably want to dispute that claim. He's the only US male to make it to a World Cup semi-final. And I would argue that Ruth Aarons - the only US player to ever win a World singles title - has a better claim than Seemiller.

In the modern sponge era, yes, Danny is up there with Eric Boggan, although I would argue that Eric was slightly better.

In the "hardbat" era, the number of world competitors was significantly smaller, and it was more of a parlor "sport" than a true Olympic-level sport. This is why most people today don't talk about pre-sponge era "greats" as representative of our sport.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 14:43 

mnnb wrote:
The USATT used to be a dysfunctional group full of agendas, bickering and dissent.

Wow, a dysfunctioanal group full of schemers, quarrelsome and rebels. You guys are doomed.