OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 11:50 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-spor ... tennis-bid

She beat Miao Miao, but might get the shaft from the New Zealand Olympic Committee.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 12:06 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Li Chunli's younger sister Karen regularly plays at my club. Karen is an absolutely fantastic player who, amongst other things, won the 2011 Oceania Champs. She can also cream many of the stronger male players in Victoria. Anyway, I was recently reliably informed that Karen struggles to get over 5 against Li Chunli. If this is the case then Li Chunli must be one helluva player!

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 13:38 

Quote:
... to be selected for London she must satisfy the New Zealand Olympic Committee that she is capable of achieving a top 16 placing

Let's just be honest. This is just Committee speak translated as "we think it is not a wise use of funds to send you to London". Tsk tsk.

Now, if Li were to say "I will pay my own way", you can bet your last dollar they will be behind her all the way. If every committee were to think like that, how many participants do you think there will be in each event in the Olympics.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 13:51 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Makes you wonder why this country deserves the WVC in 2014 when they won't even shell out to send players to the Olympics.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 13:55 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

If you beat Miao Miao twice there's every chance you are well inside the top 200 in the world, if that's not good enough for New Zealand they better stick to growing sheeps :lol:

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 14:20 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
To be fair the same process is also applying to their men, who have been extremely competitive in the OOQT. Phillip Xiao seemed to be the one triumphing, but he has to prove he is worthy also. I think NZ is simply one of those countries who can't afford to send hoards of athletes to the Olympics and wants to maximise their chances of medals, which is what its all about (even though it really should just be about competing and fostering goodwill). There are a lot of countries who send a handful or less of althletes to the Olympics, you only need to watch an Opening Ceremony to know that. But who knows what other polictical drivers are going on behind the scenes as well?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 14:23 

You are right of course Reb. However, there is often another element that can influence decisions. It is my experience that sometimes, "those who shouts the loudest" wins.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 14:28 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

I just think if the NZ Olympic Committee or table tennis association is too cheap to send one or two deserving table tennis athletes to the Olympics, maybe NZ doesn't deserve to host a world championship table tennis event.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 14:29 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
pippy1 wrote:
You are right of course Reb. However, there is often another element that can influence decisions. It is my experience that sometimes, "those who shouts the loudest" wins.

True, squeeky wheels often get the most oil. ;)

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 17:33 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
I talked with Li Chun Li very recently (like at the OOQT :) ) and she said that NZOC would send her to London if she was either the 1st or 2nd qualifier from Oceania, but not if she was 3rd. I thought this was something that applied only to her. I was later talking to a young NZ male player who told me that the "qualify in the 1st 2 or we won't send you" applied to them too.

The same young NZ male player also told me the NZers paid their own way to the OOQT here in Sydney. This may explain why there were not all the top NZ players here at the OOQT. Not knowing who the top NZ players are, could a Kiwi comment on this?

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 20:13 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Retriever wrote:
I talked with Li Chun Li very recently (like at the OOQT :) ) and she said that NZOC would send her to London if she was either the 1st or 2nd qualifier from Oceania, but not if she was 3rd. I thought this was something that applied only to her. I was later talking to a young NZ male player who told me that the "qualify in the 1st 2 or we won't send you" applied to them too.

The same young NZ male player also told me the NZers paid their own way to the OOQT here in Sydney. This may explain why there were not all the top NZ players here at the OOQT. Not knowing who the top NZ players are, could a Kiwi comment on this?

In 2008 Karen won the same qualifying competition for Beijing and the NZ Olympic committee wouldn't send her, We have high standards here lol, Many top players didn't put their names forward because of what happened in 2008, as even winning like Karen did may not be enough and she was around the 160 mark in the World at the time.
Two of our men's team are ranked around 12 and 33 in NZ, so many others either did not want to contest or other reasons
We seldom ever seem to get the best of the best together for any major event, except maybe the Womens team at the Worlds teams when we beat Australia easy

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

Last edited by rodderz on 08 Mar 2012, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 20:14 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

mynamenotbob wrote:
I just think if the NZ Olympic Committee or table tennis association is too cheap to send one or two deserving table tennis athletes to the Olympics, maybe NZ doesn't deserve to host a world championship table tennis event.
Cry somewhere else its 5 kms away from me :clap:

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 14:56 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
pippy1 wrote:

True, squeeky wheels often get the most oil. ;)

Have you ever been to Ballarat where the political parties are always in a tight fight. 5 minutes outside the place it's like day and night, like a line drawn in the sand between one of the poorest areas in the State and one of the richest. It's very noticeable and disturbing.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 16:15 
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!
Pips for Breakfast! Mmmm. Beary Nice!

foam wrote:
Have you ever been to Ballarat where the political parties are always in a tight fight. 5 minutes outside the place it's like day and night, like a line drawn in the sand between one of the poorest areas in the State and one of the richest. It's very noticeable and disturbing.

You mean to say that you go out into the streets of Ballarat? When I drive into that town I try and keep my head between my legs, and mumble my half-gibberish prayers, "Please, just let me get to the TT club." You know, I can't watch Mad Max anymore without breaking out in a cold sweat. :(

Weapon 1: Andro Kinetic Supreme Hinoki/Zylon OFF-; Andro Hexer HDs (FH 2.1/BH 1.9)
Weapon 2: Ross Leidy 'Smokey'; Friendship 729-5s
Club1: Daylesford - since 2010
Club2: Ballarat - since 2011

Blog: A Naked Bear

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 20:42 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Oskar wrote:
foam wrote:

You mean to say that you go out into the streets of Ballarat? When I drive into that town I try and keep my head between my legs, and mumble my half-gibberish prayers, "Please, just let me get to the TT club." You know, I can't watch Mad Max anymore without breaking out in a cold sweat. :(

haha, any little punks you might find in the street in Ballarat would pee themselves walking the streets at night in some of the places I have lived 8)