OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012, 14:40 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
http://www.thenational.ae/thenationalco ... ble-tennis

Table tennis is in a bizarre and especially frustrating predicament. It has always been there: almost everybody has played and enjoyed it and probably would not mind playing it more, and yet almost nobody watches it.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012, 15:59 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
One way to reduce China's TT domination at the Olympics may be to make the Olympics "amateurs-only". But then they probably have 100 other would-be Gold medalists lining up anyway :lol:

Interesting article, I guess we are lucky to have TT at the Olympics at all, not that I've been able to see any of it...so am I lucky? lol

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012, 17:44 
Stir Crazy

A really interesting article. Good find, mnnb.

I just wish he hadn't mentioned Sooyeon Lee - IMO the film does nothing either to encourage people to play or to watch the sport. And this "South Korean player (and model celebrity)" seems to be far more interested in being a celebrity than being a player. (Sorry, grumpy old man rant finished.)

Quote:
It can look like a deceptively easy game to master.

Play it a few times and you will understand: how hard can it be, with some practice, to keep hitting the ball back on the table?

And so, though this is great for accessibility it erodes the idea and status of table tennis as a sport played by highly trained, elite athletes. Somewhere inside we love sport precisely because we can see and understand that we cannot do what they do.

I think this is a really interesting comment, which connects not just with the public but with us as non-elite players as well. While we understand the tension between accessibility status, I sometimes think we also get sucked into failing to recognise "that we cannot do what they do".

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012, 17:46 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Have watched live broadcast last night of the womens bronze between japan and singapore. There are so many audience and very loud. As well as the gold medal championship between Ding Ning and Li XX. Or the camera was not able to capture the empty seat?

For local competition, only die hard players watches table tennis with passion. Only those who can understand spin appreciates the beauty of receiving serves and playing with pips chopper.

Only die hard players achieves fulfillment in watching table tennis. Just my opinion though..

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2012, 04:47 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Red_lion wrote:
Only die hard players achieves fulfillment in watching table tennis. Just my opinion though..

I paid for my mum and nephew to go and watch GB vs Australia - I was surprised when my mum, who has no idea about the sport, said she really enjoyed the evening. Part of it may have been the "event" / getting out factor but I was pleased. However, neither my mum or nephew have watched any table tennis from the olympics. I just think the tv camera angles flatten the game and it looks like mistake after mistake because they continue not to explain and demonstrate the spin, or profile the players before hand (as people) and there are lot's of breaks in the play - "unscheduled breaks" and slow times between serves. It's got to the stage where I'm finding table tennis on tv boring. I much prefer watching the game up close and live or to see edited highlights with the "no play" bits removed. There's something to be said for building tension and watching a game develop, but a couple of times, unless I've an interest in the fortunes of the players concerned, I've fallen asleep during the olympic coverage.

Can someone also explain the obsession of using high speed photography to show super slow mo's of players reactions. With high speed photography I want to see close up's of grips, contact points of bat on ball, service actions not people pulliing faces.

As for the seating, it's generally been sold out and the venue holds 5000 people - the tv commentator and the organisors are blaming corporate hospitality and national associations of the sports involved for not actually attending the events (but the tickets will have been classed as sold). Some of the corporate hospitality are denying this. Who do you believe?